Half-Life 3 Logo Appears on Mystery Website

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Grenge Di Origin said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
I guess Valve have been doing this a lot longer than I have, but really... if the Portal connection is there (other than what Jessica said regarding Portal being the unofficial sequel to HL2 Ep 2), it seems like a horrible idea to me. What's next? Does the TF2 Heavy Weapons Guy make a cameo appearance?
The difference between TF2 and Portal/Half Life is that Portal (especially Portal 2) makes the connections between series blatantly obvious.
Erm... like what exactly? I couldn't see ANY obvious connections. They're two different sci-fi universes.

Although I haven't played Portal 2 yet so I might have missed something that becomes a helluva lot more obvious in that game...

Somsuch

Feb 9, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Grenge Di Origin said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
I guess Valve have been doing this a lot longer than I have, but really... if the Portal connection is there (other than what Jessica said regarding Portal being the unofficial sequel to HL2 Ep 2), it seems like a horrible idea to me. What's next? Does the TF2 Heavy Weapons Guy make a cameo appearance?
The difference between TF2 and Portal/Half Life is that Portal (especially Portal 2) makes the connections between series blatantly obvious.
Erm... like what exactly? I couldn't see ANY obvious connections. They're two different sci-fi universes.

Although I haven't played Portal 2 yet so I might have missed something that becomes a helluva lot more obvious in that game...

The most obvious link to Half Life in Portal is in the final song:
"Maybe Black Mesa?
That was a joke, ha ha, fat chance"

Black Mesa of course being where Gordon Freeman works in Half Life 1 - the institute that ignites the event that leads to The Combine taking over the planet.

There are a few Easter eggs in Portal 1 too. Not to mention that The ship mentioned in Episode 1 and 2, the Borealis belongs to Apature, with it hinting that it contains some sort of Portal tech...

In Portal 2 there are many more links, referenced a lot more directly which I won't spoil.

There may well be a link between the 'portal tech' displayed in Half-Life 2, that which allows the combine to travel to Earth and Gordon to travel between locations and the technology behind the Portal Gun itself.

Dickdatduck

Aug 2, 2011
I really hope that this is not some massive prank. Not because I care about Half-Life, I just want the game to come out so people can finally shut up about it.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Grenge Di Origin said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

Aperture Science and Black Mesa are competing companies. This is mentioned in HL2:episode 2 and in Portal 2 too, there's also references on a few models throughout the game. It's also in the credits for Portal 1.
Not to mention that the Borealis is Aperture Science's research ship. The same ship Gordon Freeman is ALMOST ABOUT TO BOARD A HELICOPTER TO FIND.

They're majorly connected.

During its development, Half-Life 2 featured a chapter set on the Borealis, but this was abandoned and removed before release. Also, in Portal 2 there's a hidden room with a life buoy from the Borealis in it. This is the dry dock that the Borealis disappeared from (and partially with)

Black Mesa scientists near the Borealis.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Is this trolling from one Guy or trolling from Valve? I dunno, but it is trolling. Duh.

Valve could have made some Announcement Trailer thingy which shows very little with a Tagline like "Worth the Wait" which would probably mean something to People who still care. We played Half life 2 and since then some time has passed if you hadn't noticed.

We then played Half life 2 again in different forms because pretty much every worthwhile Element in Half life 2 has been stolen, erm, paid Homage too in about a million other Games, some of which even managed to refine the Mechanics of this or that. Valve could be seen as a Company which has very little Experience in making a modern Day FPS. They do have a lot of Experience in making Hats though...

I will have to replay Half life 2 and the two Episodes when HL3 comes out. If my Computer can still read "Hard Drives" by the time that comes out.

Well, we'll laugh at all this when it comes out. Those of us who didn't die of old Age at least.

Krat Arona

Jul 12, 2010
For anyone else following this hoax, it appears that the snowing has stopped, the page is completely black, and the browser's tab header reads "Status: Mark 7"

Not saying it's real, just saying it's curious. Pretty dedicated troll.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Did anyone else notice this?

This picture, which was on Steam during the steam sale, is completely unrelated to the titles offered that day. And do you see that, that thing to the left? A golden Half-Life necklace! With exactly three specks of light shining on its surface.

You may also have noticed this from Valves Portal 2 Christmas comic:

Take a look at those Christmas stockings. How many? Three. That?s 3 stockings on page 3 of the comic. What?s written on the stockings? ?Gordon?, ?Alyx?, and ?D0g?.

Have faith brothers. Half Life 3 is coming.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Personally I can't think of anything dumber than merging the worlds of "Portal" and "Half-Life". To say they're different in tone, content, just about everything really... that would be like saying that the sea bed is different to outer space. Beyond them both being first-person games involving guns that revolve around unusual physics, I don't see any kind of a comparison between the two.

They are officially in the same universe - but Portal takes place long after the events of Half-Life.
I thought that Portal and it's sequel takes place in a different dimension set in pretty much the same time. Aperture Science was competing with Black Mesa but the entire research complex was somehow teleported into another dimension, a dimension in which Combine never attacked earth.

It is therefore likely that Borealis is the only remains of Aperture Science that still exists in Gordon's dimension. This would also explain why Portal and Portal 2 features such a different atmosphere and tone - it's in another, more surreal, dimension.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Also, if you look really hard at the wheat field in the picture and squint you can make out the word "GULLIBLE" really small on the left side.
I'm sure Half Life 3, or whatever it'll be called, is on the way, but I'll wait for something official. The internet shouldn't explode every time some random site posts logo that I could have made in MS Paint. Or when Valve makes a minor HL reference.