Half Life = Gamer's "Twilight"

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
Nice try, but there's too much fallacy in your argument. Every problem has been described perfectly by kingcom.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Shru1kan said:
I see some very striking resemblances between HL2, and the much-hated series of Twilight. You see, both feature very two-dimensional protagonists.
That pretty much applies to 99% of anything that comes out of Hollywood or the game industry. Next you're going to tell us both have characters, areas and props too.

I cannot comment much on twilight, but
In Half-Life 1, you take on an egghead scientist, which automatically makes you assume that he was a loner for being so smart.
No, it doesn't. We don't asume anything about Gordon, because there's almost nothing to go on.
He's just a toon to shoot aliens with.

Half life, on the other hand, fulfills another fantasy. Half life 2 is my main point in this, because the first one had nearly no people in it, all monsters and masked military, all against you. So please, bring Half-Life 2 and episodes to mind while reading this. You, a nerdy scientist, who is probably none-too-popular outside his clique of other nerds, gets to get up and kick societies ass. You suddenly are put in a murder simulator against bodybuilding jocks dressed as soldiers.
It's a FPS. You get to shoot people in almost every shooter and the targets aren't usually women. You're looking for things that aren't there.

On top of climbing the social ladder by force, there is suddenly a hot girl interested in you. I don't see how she's all that hot, but I've heard some creepy shit like boys wanting to do her or marry her. Oho! Suddenly the lonely guy becoming suddenly "alpha male" fantasy is fulfilled on both fronts!
They introduced a female fighter only in the sequel, HL2. She's not hot like you said yourself. If HL were a male fantasy there'd be atleast a dozen hot women in bikinis.

On top of it all, both series are insanely popular with rabid fanboys and girls. They flame, kick, scratch, and scream to defend their chosen idol.

Now, I submit to you once again that Half life is the "Twilight" of gamers. Thoughts?
Rediculous.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
HotFezz8 said:
i like how you say "On top of it all, both series are insanely popular with rabid fanboys and girls. They flame, kick, scratch, and scream to defend their chosen idol" then hope for no flaming or trolling LOL :)
TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I believe is the only apt explanation for this.

MCGT

Sep 27, 2008
They're similar in the ways you have stated, but a big difference is that Half Life isn't a pile of steaming shit. If Twilight was written by somone who actually had talent then I'm sure the hate against it would be nowhere near as big.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
xRagnarok19 said:
Isn't the reason for Twilight being hated the awful writing, story, characters, and overall existence?
And that's why I can agree with the title. As I hate both.

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
Iron Mal said:
EDIT: I think most people seem to be misunderstanding what the OP is talking about, he's not making a direct comparison between the two (killing aliens is very different from emo/vampire romance) but was more saying that both have an effect of wish fufillment for the audience through use of a blank, generic protaganist (teenage girls like the idea of a vampire boyfriend (I'm assuming), and nerdy guys like the idea of being a revolutionary hero who saves the world, is idolised and adored by many and even has a attractive/smart chick who's into them because they're so great (again, I'm assuming)).

Yes. This is my point. In fact, I like it so much that I will add it to the original post.

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
I think KingCom pretty much said it all. Your comparisons are pretty minor in all honesty, and could be applied to huge swathes of fiction if you tried hard enough. A pretty common archetype of all action/adventure/fantasy/sci-fi novels is a protagonist without much defining character, who goes from nobody to messiah before the story is up.

Your presumed nerd meets hottie stereotype is also way off the mark. Freeman obviously has to be some kind of geek to begin with, but he's obviously thought of as young and dynamic among his peers, and Alyx doesn't seem to have much of a selection, living in a bunker with the human race decimated. Of course she's going to shack up with the toughest, smartest and generally most exciting guy left around.

You also should recognise that there's a vein of ironic humour running through Half-Life, that this is an MIT grad saving the universe. One of the reasons Twilight gets such a panning is its misplaced sense of grandeur.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Shru1kan said:
On top of it all, both series are insanely popular with rabid fanboys and girls. They flame, kick, scratch, and scream to defend their chosen idol.

Now, I submit to you once again that Half life is the "Twilight" of gamers. Thoughts?
Yeeeeah....

Get back to me when Half-Life fans initiate violence against people who dislike the game, or seperate into 'Team Gordon' and 'Team The Other Guy' (Yeah, I never really played more than a few hours) and have bitter, whiny feuds about it.

Pretty much all I hear about the Half-Life series these days is "Where the fuck is episode 3?!". There has been a distinct lack of people worshipping the series as a god.

DaDrum

May 9, 2010
although i agree, it's pretty easy to put this onto any other large gaming franchise

in fact, i'd say the cod series is far more fitting as the "gamer's twilight". it basically fills all the roles of the OP, and almost every girl hates cod, while almost every guy hates twilight.

it also fits because every guy out there has always had fantasies of killing another human being, and girls have had fantasies of having some 'irresistable man' being in love with them all of a sudden

that's why i think cod is more fitting than half-life for the "gamer's twilight"

Saladfax

May 16, 2008
One could also more strongly argue that, in a purely interactive media, the blank slate protagonist approach is much more appropriate as actions are actually dictated by the person in control. Personally, I don't like the blank slate approach. It improves immersion but weakens the protagonist, who could be argued as being most important.

The comparison is relatively apt but falls short. The scope and threat situation differs between an angsty high-school situation and an actual war between multiple races. The whole, "nerd involved in social uprising against jock-like people," seems to belittle the quality of story-telling by boiling it down to a brutal simplicity. Twilight already sits in the simplicity of, "awkward girl becomes popular," without being dumbed down.

Although a crossover would be interesting. Bella falls in love with a black headcrab zombie o_O

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Shru1kan said:

Yeeeeah....

Get back to me when Half-Life fans initiate violence against people who dislike the game, or seperate into 'Team Gordon' and 'Team The Other Guy' (Yeah, I never really played more than a few hours) and have bitter, whiny feuds about it.

Pretty much all I hear about the Half-Life series these days is "Where the fuck is episode 3?!". There has been a distinct lack of people worshipping the series as a god.

And yet if you post anything questioning anything about the series you get flooded with "THATS YOUR OPINION, MAN", or "BACK IN ITS DAY IT WAS THE BEST THING EVER, SO YOU WONT GET IT TODAY".

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
You pointed out a few similarities but most of it just seemed like you were digging for reasons that didn't make much sense.

The big similarity is that the protagonists are two dimensional, letting you put yourself in their shoes, but that's where they split.

- Half Life has a deep storyline with a unique way of storytelling that puts a lot of things up for speculation, ready for it all to be concluded and tied together.

- Twilight is just two dimensional through and through, the characters, the plot, everything.

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
so your main point is that both act as a medium for the audience to fulfill secret desires/hopes that wont/may not happen in real life? well....um ok, welcome to the world this is what most games aspire to, connecting to the target audience on a personal level.... am i missing another point here?

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
You lost me after you started calling me a nerd.
But I strangely agreed with everything before that.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
Shru1kan said:
EDIT2: Okay guys, I'm sorry if I'm not clear on my intentions for this thread. Maybe this guy can say it better than me.

Iron Mal said:
EDIT: I think most people seem to be misunderstanding what the OP is talking about, he's not making a direct comparison between the two (killing aliens is very different from emo/vampire romance) but was more saying that both have an effect of wish fufillment for the audience through use of a blank, generic protaganist (teenage girls like the idea of a vampire boyfriend (I'm assuming), and nerdy guys like the idea of being a revolutionary hero who saves the world, is idolised and adored by many and even has a attractive/smart chick who's into them because they're so great (again, I'm assuming)).
If you're just pointing out tiny similarities in the way that both series try to make YOU the protagonist, then there's really no discussion value here. You can point out the similarities in anything, if you look hard enough. For example, Spiderman = Batman because they're both superheroes with dead parents! But we all know they're almost entirely un-like each other, so why should we care if there's a single similarity?

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
kingcom said:
Shru1kan said:
I see some very striking resemblances between HL2, and the much-hated series of Twilight. You see, both feature very two-dimensional protagonists. They have almost no inherent personality, and their faces are taken out of the picture for 99% of the game/book. This means that any gamer can plug himself into the story, as well as any girl plugging herself into the Twilight saga.
Firstly this method of storytelling dates back to ancient Greece, its called using a Tabula Rasa (blank slate, a term used when refering to childhood development theory). Its been used countless times in many forms of medium. This is nothing new.

Shru1kan said:
After you successfully insert yourself, you take on a role that describes you. In Half-Life 1, you take on an egghead scientist, which automatically makes you assume that he was a loner for being so smart. Much like most of the target audience. In Twilight, you take on the story of a socially awkward girl, much like most of the target audience. In other words, most of the base can plug themselves in readily and identify with the character. If there was any character in the protagonists.
Actually they go out of your way to explain your not a loner. The security guard Barney actually tells you to meet him after work and he'll buy a you a beer. Implicating that Freeman is someone who actually hangs around with people outside of his stereotype. Hes an MIT graduate, they are not that uncommon and infact the entire research facility is probably filled with people much smarter than him. Also you presume that much of the audience who play and like Half-Life are therfore loners, thats a bit insulting.

Shru1kan said:
Now, as most of you know, in twilight the girl meets a boy with a perfect body, and a perfect personality. The author goes on and on into great detail to describe just how perfect he is, and lo and behold, he is interested in the protagonist! This leads to the girl obtaining more and more friends (no matter how fucked up they may be), and fulfills the "suddenly popular" fantasy on both fronts.

Half life, on the other hand, fulfills another fantasy. Half life 2 is my main point in this, because the first one had nearly no people in it, all monsters and masked military, all against you. So please, bring Half-Life 2 and episodes to mind while reading this. You, a nerdy scientist, who is probably none-too-popular outside his clique of other nerds, gets to get up and kick societies ass. You suddenly are put in a murder simulator against bodybuilding jocks dressed as soldiers. Many guys dream of punching people out who put them down, and most girls decide to try and befriend them, for some unknown reason (yes, generalizations, but bear with me, as a good portion of each gender falls into it enough to make it valid).
Firstly, you: an MIT graduate who already actively engages with peoepl outside his stereotype meet more people fighting for their lives and gets along with them? That just sounds like any action movie ever made.

Shru1kan said:
On top of climbing the social ladder by force, there is suddenly a hot girl interested in you. I don't see how she's all that hot, but I've heard some creepy shit like boys wanting to do her or marry her. Oho! Suddenly the lonely guy becoming suddenly "alpha male" fantasy is fulfilled on both fronts!
Your not alpha male, most people assume you are long dead, and its actually human nature for people constantly fighting for their lives to find companionship with eachother.

Shru1kan said:

Actually your describing fanboys/fangirls. They exist in everything. I could submit the exact same theory for something like Halo. What makes Twilight scary is the honestly dangerous subtexts throughout the series.

This is trash at best, your theory has little to no evidence and depends entirely on false assumptions.

Alright, now for this post.

Tabula Rasa is a well-used medium indeed. However, the simple fact of its widespread popularity and reverence by gamers (much like the reverence of the Twilight Saga with naive teen girls) makes them two comparable examples. One could not compare an obscure work with the use of a Tabula Rasa to a very popular one, as the impact would fall extremely short. Suddenly if I spouted obscure references and made very specific points, it would be lessening the impact further. If I used "The Illiad" for my book, and "I wanna be the guy" for my game and made very symbolic metaphors, it would go one of two ways. One, it would be seen as genius and deep for my insight, or I would be seen as raving mad. However, both being niche media, it could work. With a huge target audience, more generalizations must be made.

The guard is a co-worker. This means that he must like his job, and must like the people in the facility. He therefore will befriend people in the facility, or just live a lonely life of hatred watching people he hates go through gates without a word to them. I do believe that puts him in the clique. And honestly, if you had no idea about science and you were introduced to Gordon with the pretext of him being young and dynamic, would you give a shit? You aren't in his group, you can't understand much beyond the pretext, therefore he wouldn't gain any pleasure in associating with you if you don't understand or appreciate what he has dedicated his life to.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Shru1kan said:
And yet if you post anything questioning anything about the series you get flooded with "THATS YOUR OPINION, MAN", or "BACK IN ITS DAY IT WAS THE BEST THING EVER, SO YOU WONT GET IT TODAY".
I can't say that's been my experience. When I tell people I didn't like it, and stopped playing after an hour or so, they don't usually care.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Sorry Shru1kan, even though I can see your point, I have to say your being rather general about it. If you were to take a list of games/movies/books where you start out as a social reject who relates to it's target audience, rise to success and fulfill the character's (and subsequently your) fantasy while gaining the attention of a member of the opposite (or desired) sex you would have a long list.
If you could find a few more points to back you up, you would have my vote, but sadly you only have three points and since this isn't an english class essay its not enough points to win me over.
It did make for an interesting read though.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
i respect your opinion and cannot fully refute it, however, will choose to disagree with most of it for what you are saying.
Same can be said for alot of things, hell, you could put dam near the same argument for Pokemon