Half-Life Speedrun Sets Amazing New Record

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Merlark said:
might as well turn god mode on and clipping off while you're at it
They already did that. :) The same guy did this video:

Fluffles said:
As I said, there is a jump bug where if you crouch and jump correctly between 0 and 4 units above the floor as you are falling it nullifies the fall.
In this case they're using the ladder; you can see it better at 8:50 of this run:

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
UNHchabo said:
Fluffles said:
As I said, there is a jump bug where if you crouch and jump correctly between 0 and 4 units above the floor as you are falling it nullifies the fall.
In this case they're using the ladder; you can see it better at 8:50 of this run:

The ladder is on the other side of the area down there, watch the explanation video and skip to that part and they say that they used the jumpbug for it :)

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
I for one think that this is an amazing run, with or without tools and scripting. It is also very entertaining to watch. Kudos to the efforts of the runners.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Heavily scripted, it's not impressive. Yes, it's totally neat to see 'someone' zip through but it's not skill, it's not a speed run it's just people with scripts running through extra fast.

Really, really sick of T.A.S. speed runs, it's cheating! Exploits? Fair enough because that's in the game.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
It'd be more impressive if they didn't use cheats.
Scripting is not considered cheating. It just puts the run in a different category. Real cheating is never allowed in speed runs.

And i actually think that the scripting makes i more impressive, because it speeds the gameplay up so much that it requires extreme precision, skill and knowledge to pull off some of the stuff they do at the pace they're moving at several times.

Sep 14, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
gmaverick019 said:
70 hours? holy shit son.
Now what if I tell you that it took me 10 days?
as in you did those 70 hours in 10 days? I honestly wouldn't be surprised by that, everytime I play kotor I usually do it in 3-4 day spurts of longggg hours myself too.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
So you're allowed to use the console? Alright then. I'll just open the it, type "map c4a3", and defeat Nihilanth. 3 minutes, I win! Oh, I can edit the footage, too? Let me just speed up by 2x. Bam, 90 seconds!

Seriously, I can understand exploiting glitches and game mechanics for speedruns to an extent, but this is ridiculous.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Fluffles said:
The ladder is on the other side of the area down there, watch the explanation video and skip to that part and they say that they used the jumpbug for it :)
Ah, ok, it went by so fast that I didn't even notice that's not what happened. :)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Athinira said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Scripting is not considered cheating. It just puts the run in a different category. Real cheating is never allowed in speed runs.

And i actually think that the scripting makes i more impressive, because it speeds the gameplay up so much that it requires extreme precision, skill and knowledge to pull off some of the stuff they do at the pace they're moving at several times.
To me it's like winning a duel by giving the other guy an unloaded gun. Sure, you "won", but you did it in your own terms rather than the challenge's.

May 29, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Are you kidding me? Exactly how much manipulation is permissible in a "speed-run" before it stops being considered a "legit" play-through of the game?
What on earth made you think this was intended as a "legit play through of the game"??? It very clearly isn't.

Depending on the type of speed running, literally everything is allowed. Everything, except altering the game code.

If you don't find that interesting that's your business, but don't start whining that's it isn't something it was absolutely never intended to be.

May 29, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Athinira said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Is this one of those bullshit speedruns where the player just glitches the game?

*checks*

Ayup.
Hint: The entire idea behind a speedrun is to see how far you can push the boundaries of a game.

Although a speedrun like this is gonna end up in a seperate category because it uses scripting (keybinding), using map and game glitches is not bullshit and is, in fact, the entire idea.
There are dozens of videos for that.

This is a different category.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Cue another slew of moronic comments about how it "doesn't count", when they don't know the first thing about speedrunning.

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
It's 2014 and people are still complaining about segmented runs or bunnyhop scripts, I mean really?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I had no idea that people take speedruns so seriously.
You should see the other two stories about speed runs and how there were people complaining that it wasn't "in the spirit of the game" and how it shouldn't count, etc etc.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
idarkphoenixi said:
Am I the only one who thinks a "speedrun" should mean the time it takes to beat a game in one sitting? Glitches are also a grey area since you're not playing the game legitimately.
There are different classifications of speed run based on whether tools are used or it's done in segments.

But the idea glitches are questionable or that there's a legitimate way to play a single player game is little more than some bullshit, made up honour code people seem to have so they can feel good about themselves when they do things "the right way."

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
To me it's like winning a duel by giving the other guy an unloaded gun. Sure, you "won", but you did it in your own terms rather than the challenge's.
Ah the old honour code argument. It's bullshit of course. If you want to watch speed runs that cater to whatever rules you make up in your head then feel free. They do exist. But the implication that these guys did something wrong by not following your rules despite displaying an impressive level of skill and talent in pulling this off is silly.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vivi22 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ah the old honour code argument. It's bullshit of course. If you want to watch speed runs that cater to whatever rules you make up in your head then feel free. They do exist. But the implication that these guys did something wrong by not following your rules despite displaying an impressive level of skill and talent in pulling this off is silly.
They're not "my" rules, they're not "in my head". They're the game's rules. I think beating them is more impressive than going behind the machine and fixing the run.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sunrider84 said:
Cue another slew of moronic comments about how it "doesn't count", when they don't know the first thing about speedrunning.
Cue a second slew of people with a different opinion. My god, isn't this bold.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I'm not impressed. Abusing or glitching one's way through the game just doesn't seem right, from my perspective. If it's legitimate without any funky scripting or glitching, then I will be impressed.