Halo 2's Development Was a Gigantic Mess

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
The full article is fascinating to read. im very surprised that a game of such quality had such a rediculous dev cycle.

Space Jawa said:
Irridium said:
Just goes to show what a little organization and planning, or lack thereof, can do.
That and why sometimes, pushing back release dates is a good thing.
the article pointed out that they couldnt push the release date back any further. halo 2 came out at the end of 2004, holiday season. if they had pushed it back any further then it would have had problems due to the xbox 360 being released in 2005. it was pretty much the end of 2004 or never as far as sales were concerned.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
I don't aggree with the statement that Halo 2 made consoles online worthy. I think Socom 1 and 2 came out before Halo 2 did, and Socom was huge.

James Cassidy

Dec 4, 2008
Even though I am a Halo fan, even I know that Halo 2 was a rush job. I believe most of the development was done in the last 9 months.

Even though, Halo 2 was still good. I have to play it again.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Halo 2 was great online. I remember playing Turf (The street like level) and it was great fun since there were all the different elevations, vehicles in a relatively tight area, and throwing grenades to bounce up slopes was brilliant.

I think Halo 2 (And Counter Strike) are the most fun online shooters I've played to date.

Also the campaign was surprisingly good considering that they had to rush it. Boarding the Scarab felt really epic. I definately found the campaign more fun than number 3 and maybe more fun than the first.

I did wonder what happened to the early demo they released of the Brutes with the vehicles etc.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
This is old news to me, still a fascinating read.

sephiroth1991 said:
Well that explains one Halo

OT:Does this mean that Halo fans got ripped off by haveing two games, originally one
Not at all. If one were to consider an hour of entertainment to be worth $1 then my copies of Halo 2 and 3 have paid for themselves about 5 times.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
dkuch said:
I don't aggree with the statement that Halo 2 made consoles online worthy. I think Socom 1 and 2 came out before Halo 2 did, and Socom was huge.
Socom preceded Halo 2, yes, as did games like MechAssault and Crimson Skies.

But there's really no contest in terms of impact. Halo 2 was much, MUCH bigger than Socom.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
John Funk said:
dkuch said:
Socom preceded Halo 2, yes, as did games like MechAssault and Crimson Skies.

But there's really no contest in terms of impact. Halo 2 was much, MUCH bigger than Socom.
While I can't argue that Halo 2 was bigger than Socom, I think Socom II was a huge leap for console gaming. Am I blinded by my own child hood experiences with Socom, most likley yes, but I still think it was a big part of the rise of online gaming for the consoles.

Big Max

Aug 29, 2009
Anybody else find it odd how the interview was 7 pages long...

I thought Halo 2 was a great game, the multiplayer maps were great fun and the single player had some epic moments.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Demented Teddy said:
I'm going to miss playing Conker: Live And Reloaded. =(
True dat.

And I always wondered why that scene from teh demo never appeared in the game. To be honest, I preferred Halo 3 as a separate game but having it all in one bundle would have been badass.

Anyway, for all those Halo 2 Live fans out there, there's always Splitscreen.

Lusulpher

Jun 12, 2009
I only played a few console games while visiting other people's dorms, and HALO 2 is definitely one of the fun ones, even the campaign had me amazed. That's why I'm gonna get them on PC eventually. As soon as ICO decides to be HD'up...

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
This mess ruined people's lives and the avalanche from it destroyed so much potential originality in other developers who were afraid not to be like halo. And going from the "did you know" article, I can see that bungie really knows that they are doing more than "tongue-in-cheek" from then until now and hereafter to say the very very least.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
sephiroth1991 said:
Well that explains one Halo

OT:Does this mean that Halo fans got ripped off by haveing two games, originally one
Yes, Halo 2 could have been one of the best games ever and only cost as much as one game. Instead Halo fans were messed around a bit.

One of the blokes who started Bungie quit after Halo CE. He wanted to make something else, Microsoft made Bungie make a sequel to Halo. In turn he quit.