Halo 3 Beats Out GTA IV, Portal, Wii Fit For Edge Innovation Award (Keep this mature)

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
http://kotaku.com/5035638/halo-3-beats-out-gta-iv-portal-wii-fit-for-edge-innovation-award

http://www.edge-online.com/news/halo-3-scoops-edge-award-interactive-innovation

Just thought that this would spark an interesting discussion on how we value innovation in games and where we place higher priority on innovation in certain areas.

Again, lets not let this devolve into a generic "Halo sux shit" thread, but keep the topic on hand.

I for one understand why they gave Halo 3 the top pick, but feel as though their priorities were a little off. While Halo 3 may have brought some innovations to a certain segment of a game, other nominees had innovation throughout the entirety of the game, which I feel should have given them the top pick over Halo 3.

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
Don't get me wrong. I like Halo. It's a good game. It's fun. It's a laugh. One thing it is not is innovative. It introduces nothing new. Marathon had Forge (Same company but you can't deny the truth) Driv3r had the video system (not as well executed but it still had it) Many games have had coop and XBL with splitscreen. It didn't add anything, like CoD4 (excluding perks), it just refind the things which makes good games.

It should have been IN MY OPINION between Spore, Portal and Wiifit (as much as I think it's a stupid product)

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Errr. There is nothing there on the link for me. It goes to the Kotaku site but the page is empty.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Dommyboy said:
Errr. There is nothing there on the link for me. It goes to the Kotaku site but the page is empty.
You might have to scroll down. I know I've had this problem with Kotaku at work computers and IE.

Tru3_Blu3

Aug 12, 2008
I understand why it has an innovation award: The Theater mode and Forge.

While I know all of you PC fan boys will flame me for mentioning those two pieces of content, but you have to understand; for consoles to have the ability to record gameplay, take pictures of gameplay segments, and customize your own maps with Custom Game mode making and Forge, it's quite amazing.

Another thing that you PC fan boys will complain about: Forge is nothing but a Gmod 0.5. At least it isn't freaking glitchy or difficult as Gmod; and at least you can do something with your Forged creations, which is uploading it to Bungie.net.

Once you create something with Gmod, you can't do anything but create a video about it or take a picture of it. If you want people to play your Gmod(ed) map, then you have to work your filthy ass off in SDK, which is NOT fun compared to Forge and Custom games.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I was gonna comment on this but then I realized there is a whole damn thread about it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.67778#608944] - so my words are already written.

Also, I guess I'm a tad biased against their choice because it sounds like they just had fun on Halo 3 and decided to give it an award, they say it "pushes online console play's potential" but I think the exact opposite, I thought Halo 3 was just wasted potential...so I guess I'll leave now, since a poster above me is complaining about PC fanboys, and I brought the "Halo Sux" with me.

Dec 1, 2007
On the one hand, claiming innovation for having your game use a mouse for interface is ridiculous. On the other, having to switch controller ports to beat a boss is.

Thus it would depend on how much Halo 3 improves on its predecessor's utilize of the Xbox Live system for interactivity. Edge believes it sufficiently so.

I believe it's a big pile of stupid but then who cares what I have to say?

Helmet

Could use a beer about now...
May 14, 2008
I'd give it to Halo 3 before GTA4 in a heartbeat and Wii Fit just out of my hatred for the Wii, but I think Portal deserves it more.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Tru3_Blu3 said:
I understand why it has an innovation award: The Theater mode and Forge.

While I know all of you PC fan boys will flame me for mentioning those two pieces of content, but you have to understand; for consoles to have the ability to record gameplay, take pictures of gameplay segments, and customize your own maps with Custom Game mode making and Forge, it's quite amazing.

Another thing that you PC fan boys will complain about: Forge is nothing but a Gmod 0.5. At least it isn't freaking glitchy or difficult as Gmod; and at least you can do something with your Forged creations, which is uploading it to Bungie.net.

Once you create something with Gmod, you can't do anything but create a video about it or take a picture of it. If you want people to play your Gmod(ed) map, then you have to work your filthy ass off in SDK, which is NOT fun compared to Forge and Custom games.
Just so you know:
Timesplitters had the ability to create custom maps.
Skate, which came out before Halo 3, also had the ability to record gameplay.

I don't think any of us (well, most of us) will disagree that Halo 3 did innovate in some areas and at the very least, improve upon areas that others had created. The problem ultimately comes down to it beating out other games for the title. Games like Portal, which had revolutionary new gameplay, or Wii Fit, which allowed you to track your stats and progress of your health in a video game. Why they even placed GTA4 on the list is way beyond me.

What value do we place on certain parts of innovation. It's clear that Edge felt that innovation in a small segment of a game outweighed innovation in an entire segment of game, which raises the question of which kinds of innovation are more impressive or important.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I think I might get sick. And I like Halo [http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/default.aspx?player=Sunami88]... but how could this happen?

Thanks for whoring my thread for me ElArabDeMagnifico, I was thinking about linking to it when I came in here haha. Just kinda proves my point...

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
What about the PS3 version of UT3? There is no way that Halo 3 deserves to win for Forge over UT3 which supports full mods on the PS3.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
shadow skill said:
What about the PS3 version of UT3? There is no way that Halo 3 deserves to win for Forge over UT3 which supports full mods on the PS3.
Ahh, that's a good point. I had not even thought about that.

tregon75

Jun 27, 2008
I believe Portal should've gotten the award... It had the most innovation in one game I've ever seen. The shortness of it didn't matter, it's so much fun, I've beaten it 84.9 times...

Jul 8, 2008
Unreal Tournament is more interactive than Halo 3. UT came out in 1999 and was one of the first multiplayer games were players were allowed and incouraged to make their own maps and game types. Hell by that logic there, DOOM is more innovative that Halo 3.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Oh btw, what is this "edge" thing anyway? Why are they giving Halo 3 it's award now - I mean, I think games like Warhawk really pushed online play for consoles (I'm thinking console exclusive here) to it's limits - it was out way before Halo 3, no "forge" or anything but hell the maps are well designed and huge, and if you didn't like that there were tiny ones, lots of modes, there's a lot of "sub maps" for certain games, the expansion pack adds a hell of a lot to it that makes it even more interesting, and yet it still uses the old school things like Halo 3, with weapon and vehicle spawns that you have to wait for to pick up - and everyone taking a zillion shots before they die. I could go on and on about it but really I need to know what edge's priorities were, and what the heck it's about. Heck it has a lot of similarities between Halo 3 but I just thought what it did was better, so hell maybe it isn't "innovative" (but I'm trying to use Edge's definition of the word) and just a copycat (before halo 3 came out?) but I still think Halo 3 lacks a lot that could have made it better.

sunami88 said:
I think I might get sick. And I like Halo [http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/default.aspx?player=Sunami88]... but how could this happen?

Thanks for whoring my thread for me ElArabDeMagnifico, I was thinking about linking to it when I came in here haha. Just kinda proves my point...
lol no problem, hell I should thank you for making the thread for me (a.k.a. - beating me to it).

EDIT:

BaronAsh said:
Why wasn't World in Conflict on this list?
-like Joeshie said, I don't think they had their priorities straight, and also, I have no idea why they are giving this award so "late in the game" - I mean, is it for this generation? This Year? (that can't be right) - Consoles only? Seriously, what's it for?

Xyzgon

Jul 2, 2008
I think Halo 3 absolutely deserves it. Personally i Portal is one of my favorite games of all time but i think Halo 3 does beat it, however slightly. It really did innovate in that regard. I highly suggest anyone who doesn't know what they're talking about to read edge's thing about it. It explains it pretty well and does deserve it.

Shindiggity

Jul 11, 2008
The only thing Halo 3 innovated was how many times you can release the same game and still win a plethora of awards.