Halo 3 Free To Xbox Live Gold Subs, This Month Only

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Halo 3 Free To Xbox Live Gold Subs, This Month Only

If you want the Mythic II Map Pack, that's going to cost, but not nearly as much if you're a Gold customer.

Halo 3, the game that transformed the franchise from something known only to Halo fans to a mass market phenomenon, is free to download for Xbox Live Gold customers, this month only. The promotion also includes the Mythic II Map pack, but that will cost a small amount of money. Gold subs can get the Mythic pack for $4.99; it costs $9.99 otherwise.

This one did crazy business back in 2007 and, once upon a time, Microsoft claimed it outsold all of the PS3's heavy hitters billions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101223-Halo-3-Outsells-PS3s-Heavy-Hitters-Combined]; why not go through another few hundred this month?

The promotion ends October 31st.

Source: Microsoft [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Halo-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307e6?noSplash=1]

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Wow... way to dig deep Microsoft. You're a wellspring of charitable giving.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Microsoft really don't get it do they, they see Sony adding incentives to PS Plus and feel they have to compete.

So to 'compete' they add a free game... that everyone bought, six years ago, that's deader than a dead thing online and you still have to pay extra to get into matchmaking, then they set this astounding deal to last two weeks.

You can get ODST (with all the Halo 3 map packs included) for $5 already from Ebay, assuming you don't already have it. Balmer may be gone, but he's clearly not forgotten.

If they had any sense this would be Halo 4 and/or Reach and it would be free from now until Christmas, that's a lot more potential map pack sales.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I went ahead and downloaded it. Traded in my copy ages ago, so if I ever feel like playing it again, it's there for me to play.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
I went ahead and downloaded it. Traded in my copy ages ago, so if I ever feel like playing it again, it's there for me to play.
Which is the exact reaction that should be expected from these free game releases, but instead is people arrogantly complaining about free shit.

Never change, Escapist. Never change.

OT: Haven't played Halo 3 in ages. Downloading now.

Oh, and hey, yeah, FREE.

EffectiveKill

Feb 22, 2010
Z of the Na said:
Andy Shandy said:
Which is the exact reaction that should be expected from these free game releases, but instead is people arrogantly complaining about free shit.

Oh, and hey, yeah, FREE.
People don't care if its free since we are in an age where people are super critical and angry about getting free stuff, if I had this when I was gaming as a kid I would be so excited not complaining about it.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Z of the Na said:
Andy Shandy said:

Oh, and hey, yeah, FREE.
Well people are complaining in part due to:

1: Said game was released years ago and nearly everyone and their dog has a copy already.

2: If this is MS's attempt to compete with Sony's PS+ then they need to try harder.

3: Microsoft have reached EA levels of PR toxicity due to the failure that was the Xbone launch.

And a little unrelated:

4: At the time of your post the number of positive/negative posts were evenly split.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, this is a really old game. I have both gold for 360 and PS+ for ps3. I'm shocked that Microsoft would put so little effort in when their competition is doing such a better job at it. Their free game per month is even set to end in December. Not only did PS+ give me Uncharted 3 (2011/2012), but it has put out several titles since, including the PS3 versions of ICO/Shadow of the Colossus combo that I'm excited about (I was just about to buy Telltale's poker night 2, it literally has Brock Samson from Venture bros). That's not even including the Vita/PSP games it just throws in for some reason.

Halo 3 came out in 2007.

It isn't that this is a gift horse being looked in the mouth. It's just that it's stingy by comparison. I still have Halo 3 so what does that matter to me? Even then, I'm currently on Halo 4 so why would I want to go back? Halo 3 was my least favorite of the series (not including the ending of Halo 2).

Free doesn't cut it when the reason it is in place, to compete with Sony's version, is so backwards. Is it better than nothing? sure. But it still feels like they're being stingy.