Halo 3 Recon: The "Final Statement"

lukemdizzle

Jul 7, 2008
and yet again the escapist forums bask in their sea of non conformist halo hating self satisfaction

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Yeah, but I do think that halo:CE was actually much longer. Every level takes around one hour to finish. A few in halo 3 take the about the same time to finish (some more), but many of them is also really short. For example, in halo 3 the last level is about climbing the control tower and driving the hog at the end, not much more. But what about in halo:CE? Remember the long road to actually getting to the control room (in one level)?

(sorry for going OT btw)

edit:
lukemdizzle post=7.73684.808183 said:
and yet again the escapist forums bask in their sea of non conformist halo hating self satisfaction
Yeah, I hate Halo so much I play it regularly and has finished each games campaign several times...
http://www.bungie.net/stats/PlayerCampaignStatsHalo3.aspx?player=Gormers&ctl00_mainContent_bnetcppgl_recentgamesChangePage=1
You can see how long it took me to finish the game for the first time here btw

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
lukemdizzle post=7.73684.808183 said:
Hey, I like Halo. I do. I enjoyed every game for what it was. I've never claimed any different. I just thought that Halo 3 was too short.

This may be an odd concept, but I can in fact like a game despite its flaws. I know, crazy, but there you go.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I want to play Halo after reading the Wiki info. It looks pretty. If it's pretty and I get to kill things, the shooter has done it's job, ne?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=7.73684.809149 said:
I want to play Halo after reading the Wiki info. It looks pretty. If it's pretty and I get to kill things, the shooter has done it's job, ne?
As long as the things make an adequate effort to kill you back. Otherwise there's no drama or exitement.

Halo's often been praised for it's enemy AI though so I think it'll do the job.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Eldritch Warlord post=7.73684.809159 said:
As long as the things make an adequate effort to kill you back. Otherwise there's no drama or exitement.

Really? The covenaut (and UNSC for that matter) never used hand signals,blind fire, and generally like to stand still and shoot. At best deploying a bubble shield then doing nothing different when it was gone. They should have just bought what the F.E.A.R or Rainbow Six Vegas guys made.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.73684.811367 said:

Really? The covenaut (and UNSC for that matter) never used hand signals,blind fire, and generally like to stand still and shoot. At best deploying a bubble shield then doing nothing different when it was gone. They should have just bought what the F.E.A.R or Rainbow Six Vegas guys made.
Really speaks about how terrible AI usually is. FEAR does have some brilliant AI, Rainbow Six Vegas though? Always charging you and yelling their tactics very loudly. At least in Halo they dodge around and work together.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Eldritch Warlord post=7.73684.811401 said:
Really speaks about how terrible AI usually is. FEAR does have some brilliant AI, Rainbow Six Vegas though? Always charging you and yelling their tactics very loudly. At least in Halo they dodge around and work together.
Vegas didn't have charging unless you were by your self and they actually flanked and used cover (unlike Halo 3).

Darth Lexx

Aug 13, 2008
This game better be funner than hell if it's going to be a short game. I hate the games you buy and the next day you've beaten it and paid 68 dollars for it.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
Jumplion said:
Wait a minute, my brain might just be speeding up a little from the muck from the day, but wasn't Halo 3 supposed to "finish the fight"?

Oh god, this might succumb to the Hideo Kojima method, where the developer(s) do not wish to continue on something and wish to move on but keep on doing the same thing anyway. Yeah, I don't know where I got the name of it either.
But Hideo Kojima slightly cares about the fans. And doesn't piss on their heads every time. Just some of the time. Also, Can you really say Hideo Kojima add different play mechanics in each new game. Raiden in MGS2, The camo/eating in MGS3. So hes not technically doing the same thing, More expanding on the idea.

EDIT: I am holding out to see how fucking awesome the Killzone 2 AI will be. If you look at the trailers it shows.(All of the recent trailers are 85% real-time rendered. A few special effects thrown in but almost all can be run by the game in real time.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
PersianLlama said:
OverlordSteve said:
$50 says it will add absolutely NOTHING of any value to the story.
There was a story?
Yes, though not everyone paid attention to it.

What I like about the Halo series is that you can play for the story or you can just jump in and blaze away; both schools of play get to enjoy the game. Sadly, though, some players seem to feel that unless the story's forced onto them they're obliged to skip it... and then they bellyache about not having a story.

At the risk of plugging another site, for nine years now the Halo.Bungie.Org community has delved into that story and it still hasn't finished putting all the pieces together from the series. If there wasn't a story, you'd think they'd have run out of steam by now.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. Like your car keys and reading glasses, it might just be somewhere you haven't looked yet.

-- Steve

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Bulletinmybrain said:
Jumplion said:
Wait a minute, my brain might just be speeding up a little from the muck from the day, but wasn't Halo 3 supposed to "finish the fight"?

Oh god, this might succumb to the Hideo Kojima method, where the developer(s) do not wish to continue on something and wish to move on but keep on doing the same thing anyway. Yeah, I don't know where I got the name of it either.
But Hideo Kojima slightly cares about the fans. And doesn't piss on their heads every time. Just some of the time. Also, Can you really say Hideo Kojima add different play mechanics in each new game. Raiden in MGS2, The camo/eating in MGS3. So hes not technically doing the same thing, More expanding on the idea.

EDIT: I am holding out to see how fucking awesome the Killzone 2 AI will be. If you look at the trailers it shows.(All of the recent trailers are 85% real-time rendered. A few special effects thrown in but almost all can be run by the game in real time.
What I meant by the Hideo Kojima method was that I believe after MGS2 Kojima wanted to stop working on the MGS project and move on to other projects. But eventually he pumped out MGs3, and yet again he said that he wanted to move on to other things, and again when he made MGS4 but they are making an MGS5 (don't know if Kojima is involved).

Halo 3 (and from what I've heard, Halo 2) said that this was going to "finish the fight". Well, apparantly you didn't.

Mar 26, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.73684.811367 said:

Actually they do use blind fire and while they don't use hand signals they shout verbal instructions (which make it easy to know when they are going to flank or grenade you). Each enemy fights differently and it's not uncommon to find an Elite drilling a hole in your skull from atop of the barricade you are hiding behind. Those guys can jump.

That said it isn't the pinacle of AI achievement and F.E.A.R and R6 are better.