Halo 3: Recon to Now be Known as Halo 3: ODST

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
smallharmlesskitten said:
I'm nto being condescending. I am simply stating an OPINION. Get that into your skull. I.DO.NOT.LIKE.HALO. and I there is next to nothing you can say to change that. I simply do not like it. It's that simple
Good for you. You've had your say now.

My turn.

I love Halo as a series, and I'm sick unto death of the yammering of the haterz who can't just let people play the game they enjoy; y'know, the guys who sound off in every gaddam forum ever gaddam chance they get about how mediocre it is and how icky with Jock-cooties it is and all that other crap.

Shaddup.

There are plenty of games I don't like, but rather than waste precious lifespan dwelling on stuff I don't like I move on and let people play what they want to play. I don't judge myself to be superior because I like "franchise X" and disdain "genre Y", and I certainly don't jump into every, say, Barbie's Horse Adventures thread and deride the game. I'd rather be playing something I like, or talking about something I enjoy.

Maybe you'd draw less fire (and enjoy yourself more) if you stopped bugling about what you don't like. Frankly, the rest of the planet is tired of hearing it.

-- Steve

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
To the Simpsons image... you are god.
lukemdizzle said:
really because almost every halo hatter Iv met is a condescending prick who thinks they know more about games than anybody. Im a "hard core" halo fan but I realize it has some flaws which are heavily outweighed by its strengths and I also play lots of other games which I enjoy so please hold your judgment and chill out
I'm nto being condescending. I am simply stating an OPINION. Get that into your skull. I.DO.NOT.LIKE.HALO. and I there is next to nothing you can say to change that. I simply do not like it. It's that simple

Seriously. How old are you? You are acting extremely immaturely when you are unable to take someones opinion of a game.

I'm gonna stop now bcause your obviously not going to let me have an opinion. Trust me I am very chilled.

(PS: stopping people from having opinions is comparable to Hitler. That's right. I Godwin'd to stop this goddammed pointless argument)
As much as I like Halo, I can see how some people like it, as with you. Whatever floats your boat, dude. Seems that people are calming down, though, but if anyone is planning on ripping on him more, just stop while your ahead.

Now, back on topic, I'm sort of conflicted about the new name change. As a HUGE fan of the Halo universe, I personally love it, as I've always wanted to play as an ODST. The guys are badass. And it makes more sense than Recon. Recon implies you're on an information gathering mission. From the sound of things, you aren't.

On the other hand, not many people outside of Halo fans know what an ODST is, which means that the potential for drawing in new fans with this is lower than normal. With every new game in a series, you should try and draw in new fans. This won't do as well as a game by another title might have. Although people who are already fans (or know about) the series will understand what the game is about pretty much right away, other people will just wonder "wtf?"

John Tacos

Nov 25, 2008
If it costs more than 5 bucks im out. ODST is the dropship troops, which I always thought were cooler than Master Chief anyways.

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
OK, smallharmlesskitten I can respect people who dislike or hate halo for gameplay, but your reasons (and many of it's more vocal opposers reasons) seem juivenile and ill-conseved. First off to blame a game for the rip-offs that come after it is misderected critisism. The critisism should instead be aimed at the uncreative jackasses who tried to be like it. Besides there's plaenty of unique shooters out there and all major shooter for the most part have there own unique feel and style.

Aswell I can understand not liking previous Halo gameplay and making pre-emptive assumptions that you will dislike further entries in the series, but this Halo is not your normal Halo, no longer are you a super-soldier with a super-suit. You no longer have your shields, your speed, your jump height, your ability to dual weild, your size. It will IMO be Halo to some degree but will be an entire reworking of how it's played. I'd say instead of pr-judging a game instead just be precautious, try it at a friends, or read some reviews. Whatever, just don't down a new experience because it shares the same IP as another game.

SpikeShinobi

Nov 8, 2008
Yeah i know Halo is a generic shooter, but i mean that add's appeal to me for the game, i love a good old generic shooter like Halo and Gears of War, and if Halo: ODST or recon or whatever is going to be like that, well just look at Bungie's sale's for the Halo franchise.

SpikeShinobi

Nov 8, 2008
Yes but to most people who play Halo, and loved/liked it, and dont take the story in, as soon as they see Halo, they will buy it.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
As long as it still has the Halo aspect of fun that the other two games had for me, I think I'll get it. Of course, I'll wait a while till the price goes down before I get it.

hershey

Feb 14, 2008
lukemdizzle said:
lukemdizzle said:
lukemdizzle said:
AceDiamond said:
So you say to hold judgement and yet you've already passed a pre-emptive judgement

It doesn't work that way.
Are you smoking crack?

He said to hold judgement.
My reply was saying that anyone can have an opinion. I judge Halo games before they are out because they will be a generic shooter with a dude in a power suit. (opinion)I know there are better shooters out there(/opinion)

What are you? The opinion police?
yes but making a final judgment based on absolutely nothing is flawed logic especially when bungie has stated that they completely reworked their gameplay formula and it will be a very different feeling game than the previous 3
Who are you to say my logic is flawed?

Am I not allowed to have pre-concieved notions about a game?
nobody said your not allowed to anything. Im just trying to encourage you to keep an open mind and lighten up a little
In case you can't tell... I do not like Halo in any of it's forms. It is a competent game but what it has done to gaming as a whole makes me hate it... A lot. If this game truly brings something new I may like it more. But for now I do not want to touch the disk.

(PS: "Let's be like Halo"-- Yahtzee. That quote sums up what most shooters want to be these days. And it pisses me off to see innovation thrown down the tubes in order to cash in on the frat-boy demographic)
jesus christ Its a fun game. It isn't Bungie's fault that other games copied it but didn't execute it as well. and if you really don't like what it has done to other games than don't play them, problem salved.
Just curious, but what games have tried to copy Halo? Halo is a copy of itself. With each subsequent game it has gotten more generic, simply because it has gotten less innovative. The sad thing is, the only games that copied Halo and failed are the sequels to it.

That's not to say that ODST will fall flat on its face, but considering the way Bungie has made all of its shooters (Halo 1-3), it might be the same thing with a cover system stapled onto the box. Like they added dual-wielding in Halo 2, making a more "strategic" style of game will be adding a standard feature that is already in almost all strategic shooters.

Also, to reply to a post that i can't find to quote, in case you didn't notice, the only thing the super-suit does for the MC is give him shields, not strength or reflexes. How these genetic mods are transferred into the gameplay of Halo to make it different from what you claim to be a new system of gameplay, i don't know. You're going to have the same reflexes, because they are controlled by you, not the game. The lack of strength will just not let you jump super high or flip tanks. So you're going to still be some sort of super-soldier, albeit a bit weaker and with more capable squad-mates than the original Halo(also probably going to be added; also a generic strategy shooter element).

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
If it plays anything like it should, we'll have something CoD or AAish taking place in the Halo universe. I'm all for not being able to steamroller over grunts in excess of the speed limit; rather, picking them out from cover.

The 'generic' complaint about Halo is one that draws my ire; except for the gravity gun Half-Life 2 is unspeakably generic by the standards of about 1999. The only standout factor is that everyone went the armored regenerating space marine route and left it to be different by virtue of being a throwback. The lack of distinctive shift in the main line of Halo was a result of being a series with widely-spaced installments trying to remain consistent (i.e. not because Bungie CAN'T innovate); this was also why the series needed to end.

Just because it'll be a brightly colored squad shooter in space with generic elements doesn't mean it'll suck, either, question of execution.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
...I don't think they changed the name because of the armor that everyone covets. They already stated that everyone "can has recon" when the new game is released and the mythic map pack comes out, so that everyone can do these "Vidmaster" achievements to get it...

Personally I liked the name Halo 3: Recon vs. Halo 3: ODST, oh well

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
hershey said:
lukemdizzle said:
lukemdizzle said:
lukemdizzle said:
AceDiamond said:
So you say to hold judgement and yet you've already passed a pre-emptive judgement

Are you smoking crack?

My reply was saying that anyone can have an opinion. I judge Halo games before they are out because they will be a generic shooter with a dude in a power suit. (opinion)I know there are better shooters out there(/opinion)

yes but making a final judgment based on absolutely nothing is flawed logic especially when bungie has stated that they completely reworked their gameplay formula and it will be a very different feeling game than the previous 3

nobody said your not allowed to anything. Im just trying to encourage you to keep an open mind and lighten up a little
In case you can't tell... I do not like Halo in any of it's forms. It is a competent game but what it has done to gaming as a whole makes me hate it... A lot. If this game truly brings something new I may like it more. But for now I do not want to touch the disk.

(PS: "Let's be like Halo"-- Yahtzee. That quote sums up what most shooters want to be these days. And it pisses me off to see innovation thrown down the tubes in order to cash in on the frat-boy demographic)
jesus christ Its a fun game. It isn't Bungie's fault that other games copied it but didn't execute it as well. and if you really don't like what it has done to other games than don't play them, problem salved.
Just curious, but what games have tried to copy Halo? Halo is a copy of itself. With each subsequent game it has gotten more generic, simply because it has gotten less innovative. The sad thing is, the only games that copied Halo and failed are the sequels to it.

That's not to say that ODST will fall flat on its face, but considering the way Bungie has made all of its shooters (Halo 1-3), it might be the same thing with a cover system stapled onto the box. Like they added dual-wielding in Halo 2, making a more "strategic" style of game will be adding a standard feature that is already in almost all strategic shooters.

Also, to reply to a post that i can't find to quote, in case you didn't notice, the only thing the super-suit does for the MC is give him shields, not strength or reflexes. How these genetic mods are transferred into the gameplay of Halo to make it different from what you claim to be a new system of gameplay, i don't know. You're going to have the same reflexes, because they are controlled by you, not the game. The lack of strength will just not let you jump super high or flip tanks. So you're going to still be some sort of super-soldier, albeit a bit weaker and with more capable squad-mates than the original Halo(also probably going to be added; also a generic strategy shooter element).
Halo fanboyism kicking into overdrive....The master chief is a super soldier on many levels, from the fact that he was taken as a child for being an exceptionally ideal potential soldier, to the genetic enhancements which gave him and other SPARTAN II's extreme strength, conditionaing, speed, reflexes, etc. He also has the MJOLNIR armor which when origionally tested by normal soldiers was too strong resulting in injury, but when given to a SPARTAN allows them extreme advancements in their abilities including even more speed and strangth, the rechargable shields, additional armor, a gell layer to help absorb impact, etc. Basically ODST's have NONE of these enhancements and though some aren't actually effecting gameplay (like genetic enhancements for reflexes), most will be taken into consideration when making the ODST's. They won't be able to beat down a grunt or jackal in one shot (most likely), they won't have the advantage of extra shields to take damage for them, they won't be able to jump rediculous heights, they won't be able to run as fast, etc. It'll be IMO Halo on easy mode only your character sucks.

hershey

Feb 14, 2008
First thing's first ^^^^^^^^pure gold.

BoredKellon said:
hershey said:
lukemdizzle said:
lukemdizzle said:
lukemdizzle said:
AceDiamond said:

Are you smoking crack?

Halo fanboyism kicking into overdrive....The master chief is a super soldier on many levels, from the fact that he was taken as a child for being an exceptionally ideal potential soldier, to the genetic enhancements which gave him and other SPARTAN II's extreme strength, conditionaing, speed, reflexes, etc. He also has the MJOLNIR armor which when origionally tested by normal soldiers was too strong resulting in injury, but when given to a SPARTAN allows them extreme advancements in their abilities including even more speed and strangth, the rechargable shields, additional armor, a gell layer to help absorb impact, etc. Basically ODST's have NONE of these enhancements and though some aren't actually effecting gameplay (like genetic enhancements for reflexes), most will be taken into consideration when making the ODST's. They won't be able to beat down a grunt or jackal in one shot (most likely), they won't have the advantage of extra shields to take damage for them, they won't be able to jump rediculous heights, they won't be able to run as fast, etc. It'll be IMO Halo on easy mode only your character sucks.
I didn't know all that. My fanboy friend (no offense, he really is) would, but i just play the game at his house. I just want to say that a rifle butt in the back would incapacitate even one of those aliens, maybe not kill him, but knock him unconscious. And walking speed? If they reduced that in comparison to Halo, you'd be crawling. Jumping high, yeah i mentioned that, and flipping vehicles. But without re-genning health, oh woe is me! But yeah, my point was that a lot of the things that made MC "superhuman" can't affect gameplay much.

Also, looking at this post, the pyramid of quotes is hilarious! For a slightly better view:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view_message/211173

Spindrift

Nov 7, 2008
My opinion; I look forward to the release, it will bring a fresh new look at the Halo trilogy. I refuse to form an opinion of the game itself until I have played it. Right now, I'm just looking forward to something new.