Halo 4- I'll never buy another console game

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Crono1973 said:
spartan231490 said:
Crono1973 said:
spartan231490 said:
No_Jokes said:
I want to blame myself for not researching, but the thought of what they did never crossed my mind. Why would it? I've never seen it before on any other game. Games with more content don't even pull this shit, but enough jibber jabber. They gave me a second disc, yet it still wants me to install the multiplayer. I thought that was the purpose for the second disc, but it wasn't. I don't get it.Why would they do this? Mind you I have a 4gb HD (not by choice).
I'm in the same boat, but i realized why they did it, they don't want people sharing the two disks and getting two people playing multiplayer from the same game. My friends and i did that with ME3 for a long time, but it won't work with halo. Either that, or maybe the load times are just too long on a disk and they made you download it so no one would notice. Those are my theories, but I only have 1.4 gigs after I delete everything i can, and it takes 2, so no halo 4 multiplayer for me
I don't understand how "install and never use the second disc again" prevents disc swapping. In fact, installing makes disc swapping easier.
You need the first disc to play it. You can't play it from the second disk, even once it's installed.
But how does a mandatory install prevent disc swapping?
It allows them to provide 2 discs of content that can only be played on one disc. Obviously. You can't play any part of the game from disc 2, you just use it to download the multiplayer, which only plays when disc 1 is in the console.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
spartan231490 said:
Crono1973 said:
spartan231490 said:
Crono1973 said:
spartan231490 said:
No_Jokes said:
I want to blame myself for not researching, but the thought of what they did never crossed my mind. Why would it? I've never seen it before on any other game. Games with more content don't even pull this shit, but enough jibber jabber. They gave me a second disc, yet it still wants me to install the multiplayer. I thought that was the purpose for the second disc, but it wasn't. I don't get it.Why would they do this? Mind you I have a 4gb HD (not by choice).
I'm in the same boat, but i realized why they did it, they don't want people sharing the two disks and getting two people playing multiplayer from the same game. My friends and i did that with ME3 for a long time, but it won't work with halo. Either that, or maybe the load times are just too long on a disk and they made you download it so no one would notice. Those are my theories, but I only have 1.4 gigs after I delete everything i can, and it takes 2, so no halo 4 multiplayer for me
I don't understand how "install and never use the second disc again" prevents disc swapping. In fact, installing makes disc swapping easier.
You need the first disc to play it. You can't play it from the second disk, even once it's installed.
But how does a mandatory install prevent disc swapping?
It allows them to provide 2 discs of content that can only be played on one disc. Obviously. You can't play any part of the game from disc 2, you just use it to download the multiplayer, which only plays when disc 1 is in the console.
I just don't see how disc swapping would work with any console game in the first place but it seems that an install would do nothing to make disc swapping harder.

Vuavu

Apr 5, 2010
I'm never buying another PC game again! I can't believe they expect me to install the whole game even though I already have the disk! Mind you, I only have two 360 GB hard drives!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Not getting console games due to installs? Well good luck finding PC games that don't need installs then.

It was a performance choice by the devs, it's not their fault you don't have a big enough hard drive. It is your fault for getting a game without looking into anything about it, with the internet, there's not really a real excuse for that.

For example, I just bought A Game of Thrones the Board Game 2nd edition, since I am only just past the second book, I looked online to check if the games cards etc had flavor text to see if it spoils stuff, not only that but I looked at videos to see how the game works before putting money on it.

Ignorance by the consumer is not the developers fault or problem.

Also, from what I have found in a moments search online, the box the game comes in tells you multiplayer requires an install, so it seems you don't check the box when you buy a game.

Kyle Donovan

Dec 10, 2011
250 GB on Amazon for 40 bucks. Don't see you can't afford it, you payed 60 dollars for Halo 4. I don't get why this thread even exists.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
No_Jokes said:
a usb drive may be an economical solution if you just need/want to install one game, see if you have an 8gb usb drive kicking around, 16gb drive would be a decent investment. They only cost a couple pounds/dollars online and you can use a 2nd one in the other USB port to install another game.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
LifeMakesMeLOL said:
So I guess I'm the only one that understands this guy's frustrations, even though I have a spacious 320GB HD for my 360. Not everyone is as privileged as some of you folks and have had the same, older 360s with only 4-20 gigs of space for years now. Popping in the disc and being told an install is REQUIRED is inexcusable for a console game this generation, and it's disgusting that Microsoft and 343 did very little to put this information out to people especially when a brand like Halo is going to attract so many casual gamers that either don't have the space or have already filled the majority of their hard drive with a handful of other XBLA titles.

An install to avoid disc swapping is fine, but it shouldn't be mandatory.
I have an old 20GB Hard Drive on my 360. I had to delete 2 game demos and an old Arcade game I never played anymore.

OH NO! BOYCOTT CONSOLES! PROTEST 343!

#FirstWorldProblems

LongMuckDong

Aug 23, 2011
No_Jokes said:
That's what you get for having such a gypo size HDD.

Off to the store - go buy another???

Jesus.. not exactly rocket science bro.

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
Just install and uninstall when you want to play something. When you get tired of doing that, go buy a bigger HDD and then problem solved. Why hate so hard on something so silly? YOu'll really never buy another console game ever again because you had to install the MP on Halo 4?

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
No_Jokes said:
Mind you I have a 4gb HD (not by choice).
If someone comes to your house, drugs you, throws you into the back of a car and drives away you had no choice but to be kidnapped. If you decided to cheap out with a shitty Hard Drive than you chose to cheap out on a shitty hard drive. You had a choice and you made what seems to me like the wrong one.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
PS3's only use one disc. A mate of mine lent me a game with the artbook's and so with it (I like that sort of thing), but seeing multiple discs for a game just made me chuckle.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
You're complaining because 343 decided to give you better graphics? Wow...

Yeah, installing stuff sucks, but there's a reason. If you didn't, the game wouldn't as good as it is. I fail to see how it's 343's fault because you don't have enough space on your xbox. That's like blame Samsung because you don't have enough memory on your phone to download Angry Birds.

Also, to those saying "hurr durr, it's now a shit version of PC", if this game didn't have the second disk and sacrifice the graphics and design, i can guarentee that you guys would rip on the game for having mediocre graphics and say something along the line of "Hurr durr, this game has terrible graphics, it's a shit version of the PC". You're just nitpicking to make yourself look better.

madkill

Mar 10, 2008
Console games have always run off the disc without any need for an install and forcing the player to install the game as a mandatory procedure is bad on 343's part. You don't remove the core element of a systems convenience unless admitting the alternative is better.

Therefore 343 just pistol-whipped every Xbox console gamer with PC installation superiority, anyone in this thread who agreed with 343's decision has indirectly pulled up a white flag and acknowledged PCs are superior to their puny plastic boxes of 4 year old garbage.

Your arguments are melon.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Yeah, it does suck.

At the very least they need to put that shit on the box. Which I'm not even sure they did or didn't, but I imagine they didn't.

Basically gonna commit awhole xbox when you're in Halo 4 season.

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Skopintsev said:
Delete some stuff for space?

Look, it's not the developers fault your HDD is of minimal size. I guess you could make the arguement that it might be Microsoft's for making some default HDD's so small, but ultimately, you have chosen not to evolve with 'the times'. For quite some time now console video games have started to require the mandatory install, at some point it should've clued in that you might need to upgrade.
Right, because every gamer has money to burn whenever they need to "evolve" -_-

LifeMakesMeLOL

May 12, 2012
MetallicaRulez0 said:
I have an old 20GB Hard Drive on my 360. I had to delete 2 game demos and an old Arcade game I never played anymore.

#FirstWorldProblems
...Thanks for sharing? You didn't really add anything to the conversation with that.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
This thread is the perfect example of why modular and upgradable consoles will never work. People always say what a great idea it would be to be able to increase RAM or the graphics capability of a console but its obvious it would fail.

Installing the multiplayer for Halo 4 increases its performance, all it asks for is some storage space. Yet this apparently is the most terrible thing ever and Microsoft and 343i are evil for doing this.

If someone bought the cheapest Xbox with 4GB of flash memory its their own fault for not reading the game box listing its requirements, same goes for anyone that lacks space on larger HDDs. Buying the cheapest Xbox option will have consequences, imagine how silly someone would look if they bought the cheapest model of car a manufacturer offers and then going into a rage because it lacks sat nav.

If improving game performance by using some HDD space is so awful imagine how well upgradable consoles would be received.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
LifeMakesMeLOL said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:

#FirstWorldProblems
...Thanks for sharing? You didn't really add anything to the conversation with that.
People were complaining that they didn't have enough hard drive space for multiplayer. In fact, that's what the whole thread is about. I was mocking them while pointing out that even a tiny hard drive can be cleared of old garbage you never play anymore to fit the multiplayer comfortably.

But thank you for adding so much to the conversation by pointing out that my post added nothing to the conversation. Pot, meet kettle.