Halo 4 is an abomination

Innocent Flower

Oct 8, 2012
Story wise the thing's a wreck. If we were to compare the fantasy elements of the previous halos to say... A song of ice and fire's universe (the books that game of thrones was based on).. which is to say realistic + a fair few things that wouldn't realy count as such. halo 4 would be comparable to warcraft's universe. Which is to say that Bungie goes to some length to justify a lot of their halo universe with scientific theories and some logical reasoning. 343 just throws exalted magic bullshit in your face.

Examples include:
Every single use of hard light, apart from bridges and the occasional hologram projection.
The librarian's planning for you to come and the idea that ideas can be inserted into genes to be activated at the right time.
The need for the composer to get a new conciousness for every Promethean made. Just grab one and clone him a bazzilion times and stop being such a prick about it.
The whole motivation for the covenant.

The prophets were much better badguys than the didact.

On top of that there are some aweful art changes. Some things look shit, others might look ok.. but look illogically designed. There's no sense of awe or mystery in the art style. Some things are more 'badass' but that really wasn't bungie's intention. I mean in halo you had that lovely ring in the backround. In halo 2 you had the prophets talking to the arbiter, in halo 3 you had all sorts of wonderful things, In reach you had a unique and primitive landscape. Halo 4 is rocks inside the deathstar.

The covenant look radicaly different.
Forerunner buildings have fucking lights everywhere as if the game ports levels from Tron. It realy takes away the sense of discovery since nothing feels abandoned or old.
Everyone in the unsc has an american accent. The united nations space command is composed of one nation. There's one human who doesn't sound american in the entire game. The marines were fucked over in visual design too. Their armour looks very different and for no notable reason.
The begining cutscene implies that all spartans wore john's armour since the mark iv and that the covenant always looked like how the storm do. Most of the armour premautions simply don't fit halo.
The pelican is no longer the pelican. The broadsword looks like someone grabed a plane from the 70's and threw future thingies on
Conventions like all plasma bolt weapons (pistol,rifle,mounted cannon etc) being made between things rather than coming out of a barrel (storm rifle) are broken. It's minor but to some people it's rather like a turtle without a shell.
The warthog sounds. Oh why?

It's as if 343 wanted to insult bungie by changing shit for no reason other than to make halo their own- which is invalid as fuck because they didn't fucking make halo and they haven't made the game better. They might as well have called the game something different and outside of that universe.

The game takes far too much inspiration from cod. Don't think it does? There's a scene in the campaign where you're a fucking predator missile. But gameplay wise it's absolute bollocks to have custom loadouts which you unlock. there's no option to turn of sprint in custom games... is there even custom games?

I mean. Custom games is neutered, forge is half of what reach gave us, firefight is gone and the theatre isn't working for everything. We have spartan opps now, but the first five chapters could have been made in forge and the gamemode lets you spawn and spawn again and legendary isn't a fun difficulty (the Ai are far too stupid and have far to much health to compensate) The ai is totally shit. it's STILL a miracle if a banshee doesn't think it can fly through a wall.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
Innocent Flower said:
Thank you for this post! I got a few laughs out of it. Here are some of the highlights:

Which is to say that Bungie goes to some length to justify a lot of their halo universe with scientific. 343 just throws exalted magic bullshit in your face.
What the hell are you talking about? The game is bad because it isn't realistic? When has Bungie ever tried to interject science into the series? Was it when Master Chief enters the Earth's atmosphere, crashes into the Earth, and somehow lives because of his magical suit of armor? Was it when the flood would reanimate something that was dead? Was it when all the alien races inexplicably spoke English? Was it when they were using portals to jump through space? How is any of that grounded in science? Why even worry about realism in the first place? You make yourself look incredibly foolish. Bungie has never gone "to some length to justify a lot of their halo universe with scientific".

Currently at rank 48.
I love how you randomly interject this in the middle of your thesis. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that nobody gives a damn.

pure educated opinion: the prophets were much better badguys than the didact.
A "pure educated opinion" uses proper punctuation and grammar, and doesn't use phrases like:

Bungie goes to some length to justify a lot of their halo universe with scientific.
Everyone in the unsc has an american accent. The united nations space command is composed of one nation. There's one human who doesn't sound american in the entire game.
I don't remember a diversity of accents in the previous Halo games by Bungie.
Master Cheif: American accent
Miranda Keys: American accent
Arbiter: American accent
Prophet of Truth: American accent
Cortana: American accent
Sgt. Johnson: American accent

I could keep going...

It's as if 343 wanted to insult bungie by changing shit for no reason other than to make halo their own- which is invalid as fuck because they didn't fucking make halo and they haven't made the game better.
The rest of this drivel is summed up by the sentiment you make here, where you essentially say that the game is bad because it's not EXACTLY like other Halo games. Here's the thing though, change isn't necessarily a bad thing when you've made SIX DAMN GAMES that all have the same core gameplay with minor tweaks.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'm a bit unsure about some of the things you typed.

I can't seem to work out if you liked it or not.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I liked the game until I noticed that Master Chief is a total sissy who can't take a shot from anything without dying instantly. You don't feel like a super-soldier at all if you play on Heroic or Legendary(legendary is understandable).

DMR is also the best starting weapon in the game because it beats all other primary weapons at the things they are suppoesed to do. The only possible exception is the Assault Rifle at very, VERY close range.

Also, why the hell do I have to buy DLC to continue Spartan Ops?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Frankly I'm still just pissed off that 343 removed the Elites from multiplayer, that was a boneheaded decision that helped them earn my never ending hatred for them before the game even came out.

343:
"Hey, you know that elite player model that you have had since 2004? The one that has been a part of the Halo multiplayer experience and actually one of the few things that made Halo stand out from other multiplayer games? Well we're removing it because of a retarded decision to make multiplayer have a 'story' which is the same reason we've removed Firefight and pretty much screwed over anyone who doesn't have an online connection of half the content of the game!"

Me:
"FUUUUUCK YOUUU! FUUUUUCK YOUUUU! FUUUUCK YOUUU!"

So yeah, that's pretty much all it took. Also OP, I agree.
Graphically Halo 4 is amazing, aesthetically it is garbage.
The Covenant look like the Locust and behave like the Uruk Hai from Lord of the Rings, the Spartan armor is way overdone and looks like it was ripped right out of Crysis, the Prometheans look like something from Metroid and just generally everything else is over designed and not like the originals. The originals aren't always better neccessarily of course but I dunno I feel the earlier Bungie developed Halo games were at least trying to do their own thing, they were more cartoony and there was real effort to humanize the aliens rather than just make them monstrous.
In any other sci fi game the 'ancient alien AI on a distant world' would be a slow moving omnipitent being with a deep voice, in Halo it was Guilty Spark. In any other shooter the aliens would just be generic slavering monsters, in Halo we ended up playing as the Arbiter.
By contrast Halo 4 seems to be desperatley trying to be all these other shooter franchises instead of it's own pedigree, it's turned the aliens into Gears of War Locust Uruk Hai because fuck people just like evil ugly (UGLY) aliens so don't bother to portray them with any personality beyond baby devouring evil! The Spartans are over designed to look high tech because hey those Crysis games and anime sci fi shooters are doing pretty well and people love over the top designed combat gear so have some of that! Also copy as much as we can from Call of Duty, must copy Call of Duty because people love Call of Duty!

Ehh, I don't know. All I can say is that this is the first Halo game that I have barely any interest in. I still don't even own it so I base my opinions on word of mouth and personal opinion based on what I've seen. I'm aware that could be considered unfair criticism and I'm prepared to accept that possibility.
All the same while I won't call Halo 4 an 'abomination' I will say that I have no real desire to play it or really to see where the story goes beyond morbid curiosity. I can honestly bet that
Cortana isn't truly 'dead' yet
because that was one of the few elements that 343 (supposedly) got right and I doubt they would throw it away so soon. All the same though I love Halo but I'm not going down this road, to me Halo ended with Reach nad unless someone does something really clever like make a Halo game centered on the Arbiter and the rest of the Covenant, I'm not really interested.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The game is good fun for a little while but becomes old incredibly fast. It just doesn't seem to have the longevity of Halo 3.

lazyslothboy

Jul 1, 2010
I can't say that I hate Halo 4. I've played it for well over 30 hours and I still check in every week to play the new Spartan Ops episodes. But despite that, I can't say that I will play it too much outside of a little bit after map pack releases (since I bought into the hype and bought a special edition). Oh well, maybe Halo 5 will be better though I'm not buying it until it falls in price a tad haha.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Well, considering you used terms like "Pure-educated opinion" to support what is essentially fanboy drivel I'm gonna ignore this whole thing.

I think it was a good if not amazing game.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I love how the second post said everything I needed to say. I got a good laugh at this. There is no such thing as a truly realistic video game lol. I thought the campaign was fun, not too thrilled with the ending but yeah.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Vrex360 said:
Questionable design aesthetics and plot aside, I kinda appreciate Halo 4 going in a new direction. The music, while not Marty's magnificence, serves the different plot well. 117 and Green and Blue are both pretty solid tracks, with a really ethereal sci fi vibe to them. Sadly, we lose out on the Elites, as you said. I'm still waiting for someone to make a Halo game based on The Return. (I love that story)

And also, 343, do us a favor and rerelease Halo 2. If there is any game in the Halo franchise worth updating, it's that one. And go a step further and actually update it, rather than just rotoscoping shinier visuals on top.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
While I was playing Halo 4, the primary thought going through my head was "why?".
Everything felt so unnecessary and shoe-horned in. The only thing I liked was their approach to putting some humanity behind Master Chief, but other than that the plot was bonk and it felt like I was jumping across the same Tron segment fighting the same annoying Tron enemies over and over (with the occasional Elite).

If they concluded it with Halo 3, Halo could have died happily and faded on a good note.
Instead, we get to see it transform more into a Dorito/Mountain Dew capitalist monstrosity.

Halo Reach: The aliens are coming, fight the aliens.
Halo: You fought the aliens.
Halo 2: You fought some more, better finish the fight.
Halo 3: Congratulations, you beat the aliens and some of them are now cool with humanity.
Halo 4: Fuck you, fight some more aliens, Tron things and this fugly guy called Didact.
Halo 5-6: More pointless bullshit, most likely.

The first trilogy with Reach as a prequel is what I'm going to remember Halo by.
Let's just say that you can tell a lot of "new" people were behind 4, and almost all of the charm is gone.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Innocent Flower said:

Which is to say that Bungie goes to some length to justify a lot of their halo universe with scientific. 343 just throws exalted magic bullshit in your face.
It's Science-FICTION. There are things that cannot be explained. We still do not know what is used to cause the Halo rings to wipe out all life except the flood.

Currently at rank 48.
That cannot be used to back up any argument.

pure educated opinion: the prophets were much better badguys than the didact.
A "pure educated opinion", bullshit. Even then, it's hardly educated.

Everyone in the unsc has an american accent. The united nations space command is composed of one nation. There's one human who doesn't sound american in the entire game.
Halo 2 has this:

A man who sounds Mexican
An Australian
A British Man (Different actor)
(All are just generic marines, but the reason for the main actors being American mainly is because, well, it's an American game!

It's as if 343 wanted to insult bungie by changing shit for no reason other than to make halo their own- which is invalid as fuck because they didn't fucking make halo and they haven't made the game better.
You realize that 343 is made up of Former Bungie Empoloyees right? They've treated the game well.

Jeremy Meadows

Mar 10, 2011
Terminate421 said:
You realize that 343 is made up of Former Bungie Empoloyees right? They've treated the game well.
Cutting out things that were previously in a game and that people liked isn't treating a game "well".

However I do love how people went out and bought the game, already giving away their money and then ***** about how bad it is. I had no intention of buying Halo 4. As far as I was concerned the story was over and done with and myself (like many in bungie) were done with the ride of Halo. I was content to just keep playing Reach and getting new custom maps and play modes and just having fun. So I knew from the begining Halo 4 was just a money grabbing tool of a game. Which is why I'm glad I didn't waste 60 of my hard earned money for it. Maybe I'll pick it up when it's 30 or less. At least then I can see how bad the story is first hand.

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
I really don't understand what's so bad about Halo 4, I myself was a skeptic when they anounced it. then even more so when they created a brand spanking new development team to make it. sure it had a few guys from bungie. but what roles are they playing? are they just a couple of code monkeys? scenic artists? the original group obviously had not worked on the grunt models. and where are the brutes?

I could nit pick all day, but I still liked it. its a good solid game and I had fun finding out the new Promethean traits. like the first time one of those flying buggers threw a sticky in my face. and did I mention it was originally MY throw? that really threw me off.

I had fun dealing with these new enemies, The same fun with what the "Pure flood" did to me in halo 3 and the regenerating flood did in halo 2. and the changes from brutes in halo 2 to the rest of the series. you can go on and on about how it's different to the original. but when ever was it the same? even half way through number one the game said. "Covenant? nope, fuck you, deal with these parasitic hive mind creatures now" the game has twisted and turned throughout its entire life. though if you want the same game generation to generation, may I recommend to you Call of Duty?

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
The only point that I will concede to you is that mission 5 (the one with the uber-elephant) was badly written. Aside from that, I could deal with it. Last mission with the Broadsword, loved it. 343 shamelessly played off of how people remember the death star trench run, and I still loved it. It even had elements that it could call its own, so it didn't suffer much from its inspiration.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Hey buddy, you want to take a breather or something before you explode from rage?

Halo 4s Campaign, It was fun, Okay, but nothing too damn special, I agree (which is a shame, seeing ans Halo 1-ODST had GREAT campaigns)

The Multiplayer on the other hand is pretty good, aside from some really dumb choices (Killstreaks, really?)

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I honestly can't tell if this post's absolute terrible-ness is deliberate or not. Either way, it's pretty funny.

If deliberate: Bravo, sir. Not being sarcastic either.

If NOT deliberate:.....I'm....actually kind of worried.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Jeremy Meadows said:
I do love how people went out and bought the game, already giving away their money and then ***** about how bad it is.
And how does making a purchase keep you from being allowed to voice your opinion?
If anything, the people who spent their money are the ones who's opinions matter more.

Well, when they're well-thought-out and explained, as in... nothing like the original post up top there.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
w9496 said:
I liked the game until I noticed that Master Chief is a total sissy who can't take a shot from anything without dying instantly. You don't feel like a super-soldier at all if you play on Heroic or Legendary(legendary is understandable).

DMR is also the best starting weapon in the game because it beats all other primary weapons at the things they are suppoesed to do. The only possible exception is the Assault Rifle at very, VERY close range.

Also, why the hell do I have to buy DLC to continue Spartan Ops?
im downloading chaps 6-10 now for free, or are you talking when episode 2 comes out?