Halo 4 Pirates Face Perma-Ban

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Baresark said:
The crazy bit is that small titles are hard to find before release. You would figure that the big guys would have that on lockdown, but they suck at that, haha. I always wonder if they are busy pissing off their employees as much as they piss off some consumers.
Based on what I've heard about some of the contract policies the AAA publishers keep, I imagine long hours during crunch and the possibility of getting axed after launch may hurt morale.

Though beyond revenge and a free copy of the game they worked on, I don't know what they gain by uploading it so early.

cookyt

Oct 13, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Baresark said:
The crazy bit is that small titles are hard to find before release. You would figure that the big guys would have that on lockdown, but they suck at that, haha. I always wonder if they are busy pissing off their employees as much as they piss off some consumers.
Based on what I've heard about some of the contract policies the AAA publishers keep, I imagine long hours during crunch and the possibility of getting axed after launch may hurt morale.

Though beyond revenge and a free copy of the game they worked on, I don't know what they gain by uploading it so early.
I would imagine that the person who uploads it is not usually the person who takes it directly from the company. I can see a few scenarios:

1. Person inside the company (doesn't have to be a developer; anyone can steal) takes a copy and sells it to someone for a considerable profit. The buyer could, for example, be in the bootleg market which is rather large and prosperous in Columbia and the like.

2. Review or preview copy gets out. This is much less likely as any copy MS sends out for review is closely watched and likely tracked with a unique serial which can directly be linked back to the reviewer who got it.

If you consider case 1, then it makes sense that larger games are leaked more often. It's because there's more money to make in taking larger games.

cookyt

Oct 13, 2008
rcs619 said:
zidine100 said:
so not only do you pirate, one of the consoles main, infact one of the biggest, in house franchises, a game in the series that you know, debatedley (sp?) made the xbox what it is today weeks before its release which is stupid enough in itself by the way, but then you then proceed to take it online.

Were these people even thinking?
Honestly, this kind of thing gets more and more common all the time. I am really starting to think that anyone born after, like 1992 is an idiot (Not fellow escapists, of course :D ). People do blatantly illegal things and post them up on facebook, and youtube, and even 4chan all the time now... and then act surprised when they get caught and the hammer gets brought down on them. How much do you want to bet some of those youtube accounts used the *same* email as their xbox live?

People are so obsessed with attention these days, its crazy. It used to be, when you did something against the rules, you kept quiet about it and enjoyed your ill-gotten things in private. Now people go right to the internet and begin shouting "Look at me, look at me, I'm totally awesome because I did something against the rules. I'm so baaaaaad".

But then again, it is fun to watch :p Nothing like seeing a thief bust themselves.

I just don't get the point. There's never been a game that I've wanted bad enough to even think about doing something illegal to obtain it. ...and why Halo? People only play it for the multiplayer, and you can't do that if you're playing it illegally. I mean, I guess there is the single-player, and its epic story of a faceless, nameless, personality-less man/woman/robot shooting aliens in the face. But still.
I was born after 1992 :p

The age thing makes you sound like Old Man Jenkins, shouting at those d'rn kids to get off his lawn. I think this is less a product of public idiocy and more a product of people having a global avenue to gloat through. Also, consider that it was uploaded to the torrent sites. At that point, everyone might as well have access to it. The people who posted videos and were banned from Live were not the people who stole it in the first place; they're just piggy-backing off of the people who did steal it. They don't understand the difficulties in orchestrating such a high-profile theft, so they don't understand the consequences of being linked to the theft. It's natural that they would want to gloat about it. This is a generalization, of course, and there are people who understand that they shouldn't connect to the Internet with pirated software.

It's possible we may never know who stole the first copy.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Kwil said:
blackrave said:
Nobody can ban my PC.
Well... not yet. Not until you need to upgrade to Windows 8 for some exclusive or other.
Between WINE and Steam going Linux Win8's prospects of being the only big game in the PC market this OS generation are getting slimmer all the time.

OT: If you pirate and are dumb enough to get caught you deserve whatever misfortune befalls you. Also if you pirate you should be beaten with a fish*.

*There are few extenuating circumstances I revoke this for, but they are few and far between.