Halo 4 - Underwhelming?

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
Korten12 said:
legend forge said:
Demon ID said:
If creating a new faction of enemies with different skills, AI, weapons and generally ways to ruin your day isn't classed as new I give up.
I am not talking about specific details, I am talking about new and interesting story elements or gameplay. If these whatever-they-ares turn out to be absolutely fascinating and tell a deeply interesting story then we will see about that. I reiterate: my main issue is Chief being the protagonist and larger issues with the Halo lore. "Different" and "new" are not the same thing.
You know that Halo has lots of stuff to used in the story, and just because the Master Chief is the main character doesn't mean their being restrictive. They ended the story with a cliff-hanger, so they're continuing the story.

Halo has lots of lore, so they have a lot to work with.
I am not a fan of most the Halo lore and backstory. Its boring and really unoriginal token sci fi. There are some things that *could* be interesting if they showed any desire to look into the moral implications of what... anybody is doing. Halo 3 didn't end in a cliffhanger. Halo 3 ended.

Like I said before, having him immediately return like that cheapens his sacrifice in the last game, one of two emotionally impacting scenes in the ENTIRE series for me. The other was finally getting to kill that little bastard 343 Guilty Spark with Johnson dying behind me. Also that exact thing has happened once already in a previous game, and I hear once again in one of those books (I read Fall of Reach, it was horrible). It's just irritating that they would pull the same trick over and over to ensure that the most boring character in the series gets to keep showing up, especially after his perfectly serviceable ending.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
legend forge said:
Korten12 said:
legend forge said:
Demon ID said:
If creating a new faction of enemies with different skills, AI, weapons and generally ways to ruin your day isn't classed as new I give up.
I am not talking about specific details, I am talking about new and interesting story elements or gameplay. If these whatever-they-ares turn out to be absolutely fascinating and tell a deeply interesting story then we will see about that. I reiterate: my main issue is Chief being the protagonist and larger issues with the Halo lore. "Different" and "new" are not the same thing.
You know that Halo has lots of stuff to used in the story, and just because the Master Chief is the main character doesn't mean their being restrictive. They ended the story with a cliff-hanger, so they're continuing the story.

I am not a fan of most the Halo lore and backstory. Its boring and really unoriginal token sci fi. There are some things that *could* be interesting if they showed any desire to look into the moral implications of what... anybody is doing. Halo 3 didn't end in a cliffhanger. Halo 3 ended.

Like I said before, having him immediately return like that cheapens his sacrifice in the last game, one of two emotionally impacting scenes in the ENTIRE series for me. The other was finally getting to kill that little bastard 343 Guilty Spark with Johnson dying behind me. Also that exact thing has happened once already in a previous game, and I hear once again in one of those books (I read Fall of Reach, it was horrible). It's just irritating that they would pull the same trick over and over to ensure that the most boring character in the series gets to keep showing up, especially after his perfectly serviceable ending.
Wait so... The Master Chief shown floating in the Forward Unto Dawn, suddenly getting closer to an unknown planet, with rising music... ISN'T a cliff hanger?

And if you don't like the books, the games, the background, you clearly don't like Halo. So not understanding why people like it is because you just dont like it. >.>

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I might get it if the story is good. Halo CE and 2 were amazing and each since then have been decent to extremely underwhelming. I don't want another Halo multiplayer game.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
I might get it if the story is good. Halo CE and 2 were amazing and each since then have been decent to extremely underwhelming. I don't want another Halo multiplayer game.
Halo without multiplayer like is having guns without bullets.

They'll focus a lot on the story in this one, I can tell. The campaign sounds like it may be lengthy.(around 9-11 hours, but I'm basing this off of combat evolves length on heroic)

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Zenn3k said:
Hey, remember when HALO took place ON A HALO WORLD?! Yeah, what happened to that idea anyway?

The series is called Halo, and only the 1st game makes any actual use of it. Its mentioned in story in 2, probably the others (again, didn't play beyond 2, which many consider the best of the series anyway, so I don't feel I'm missing anything).
Halo 1, Halo 2 and Halo 3 all have the Halos in them...

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Terminate421 said:
AnarchistFish said:

They'll focus a lot on the story in this one, I can tell. The campaign sounds like it may be lengthy.(around 9-11 hours, but I'm basing this off of combat evolves length on heroic)
Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoy Halo multiplayer (although some of the people on it are insufferable), but Halo CE's campaign, its atmosphere, its story and its depth is what made me fall in love with gaming in the first place. And since then the story's taken a back seat and the series has suffered because of it.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
Terminate421 said:
AnarchistFish said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoy Halo multiplayer (although some of the people on it are insufferable), but Halo CE's campaign, its atmosphere, its story and its depth is what made me fall in love with gaming in the first place. And since then the story's taken a back seat and the series has suffered because of it.
Thats Not entirely true,

The campaign did dip into 8 hour territory but it was more of a story telling perspective. By like the 5th level of reach you know your fighting a losing battle, if they dragged it on, it'd get really boring really fast.

I'm at least glad you're not one of the crowd that hates this game because it's popular or something like that.

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
Korten12 said:
legend forge said:
Korten12 said:
legend forge said:
Demon ID said:

Wait so... The Master Chief shown floating in the Forward Unto Dawn, suddenly getting closer to an unknown planet, with rising music... ISN'T a cliff hanger?

And if you don't like the books, the games, the background, you clearly don't like Halo. So not understanding why people like it is because you just dont like it. >.>
I actually quite like the Halo games, they are silly and weird and in many cases a lot of fun. Just (at this point) really really stale. I want Halo 4 to be good as much as any of you but I want them to try some more interesting things. It is one of the few FPS's I still play because most of the other ones aren't as over-the-top fun as Halo 3 (hands down the best in the series). I HATE this "modern combat" trend with very few exceptions, and even Halo's failures are at least goofy and fun.

The Halo 3 ending was about Chief giving up any chance of returning home, even any chance of waking up in all likelihood (given how far away from the galactic border he is). The thematic tone was clear. It said "This is the end." When they announced Halo 4 what I was hoping for was some new characters. Maybe the plot involves the search for and dramatic return of chief, but I wanted them to make me work for it. Making me work over the course of a whole game or two wouldn't retroactively alter/ruin the entire theme of the third game.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Terminate421 said:
AnarchistFish said:
Terminate421 said:
AnarchistFish said:

Thats Not entirely true,

The campaign did dip into 8 hour territory but it was more of a story telling perspective. By like the 5th level of reach you know your fighting a losing battle, if they dragged it on, it'd get really boring really fast.

I'm at least glad you're not one of the crowd that hates this game because it's popular or something like that.
Reach's campaign is definitely the best one since Halo 3 (ODST's is unforgivably short) but it still lacks that edge. The characters are much cheesier and it seriously lacks the atmosphere or grit of the first two. I'd love getting lost in those levels that would go on for ages (and I did spend a long time on them) cos you could feel the overwhelming immensity of those structures and truly feel like you were one man on your own, lost in these immense mazes. They had more variety and were darker. The campaigns were just simply better made and the story had more mystery to it. Halo Reach is a bit "shoot this alien here, now this one here, blow this up, CoD4 style ending, bam".

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
kingthrall said:
Zhukov said:
kingthrall said:
Bring... Back... Myth.. Halo.. is .. .like .. beating..a ... dead.. horse.. of ...a ... franchise.
Halo 4 is beating a dead horse but Myth 4 wouldn't be?

Any idea who owns the rights to Myth these days?
its Take 2, but they went bust and so its either Bungie Or Microsoft.

Regardless Myth 4 wouldn't be beating a dead horse because the last game was released 10 years ago.. Even Omni or Marathon would be decent but halo far out this game deserves to just crash and die after the 4th consective no 5th cause there was that reach one if I remember its just like they cant be bothered expanding their target audience.

There was like this history of Bungie talking about how they love to do different things, and yet they pursue this game blindly..
It is'nt being made by Bungie -_-

lolfail, it's 343 Industries I believe. Bungie has gone off to do their own thing. I hope it's ONI 2

Ditzydoo

Nov 15, 2011
KnowYourOnion said:
Ditzydoo said:
Eh.... looks about average. Average gameplay, sub-standard story, entertaining if played co-op, playing alone will probably be boring as hell, so yeah, its Halo, I didn't expect an amazing, ground breaking game, and you should not really either.
My God you're a genius, learning the entire plot of a game and whether its mechanics are fun from a 4 minute trailer. Your wisdom puts me in awe oh prophet of computer based means of entertainment.

How about we wait until we get a chance to actually see and play the finished product rather than making sweeping assertions?
Well, in 4 games Halo had never evolved past the gameplay of the original, so its easy to assume that Halo 4 will play like 1,2,3 and Reach. The story of all the Halos while not total crap aint amazing, so again, using assumptions we can assume the story of Halo 4 will again, be average.

Like how everyone states all Modernwarfares play and feel the same (Which is true), ALL Halos bar Halo Wars play the same so we can guess 2 weapons, run n gun, get to cover when shields are down to get them back up, hopefully they will keep medi kits in from Reach so we dont atleast get one shotted when shields are down.

Look, I'm not having a massive downer on the game series, they're the best fun you can have with a group of mates and 2 xboxs, just saying, its gonna play the same and storywise be simmilar to other Halos because why fix what isn't broken?