Halo Anniversary: What's new?

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
Ok, so im a big halo fan, i've played it since i was 7, and I've had a hard time convincing myself to get this game. My friends are all big halo fans, but none of them have ravaged the first game as much as I have.

This is an anniversary, and just a bringing of Halo 1 to the modern age, but what is really going to be new and exciting that isn't in Halo 1? Graphics just isn't a valid reason for me to buy this game, and all my friends say multiplayer is a top reason, and when they say this I pity them for not experiencing the joy of a 16 player LAN party on blood gulch. I know there is firefight, but I was done with that epic beast after i set agood record with some mates in ODST (43. in the world :D).

So. What sets Halo Anniversary appart from Halo 1? I still have Halo 1, and I would be much obliged to just slap the Anniversary cover art onto it then run through champange again.
Opinions, insults, ideas, or reasons, anyone?

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
imahobbit4062 said:
It's exactly what you said "Bringing of Halo 1 to the modern age".

Really, do you not know what a remake is? This thread just seems silly.
I know it is a remake, but remake just seems to be new graphics (which kinda pisses me off).
But what other reasons would differentiate this game from the original.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Well it's got new graphics and ummm... err... umm.. err umm... umm... Ummm... Well, don't think I can justify dragging it out anymore. Point is, from what I've heard thus far, a graphical upgrade is about all we can expect at this point. Not to mention, it provides Microsoft with another chance to prove how much they hate PC gamers.... Bastards...

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
Zekksta said:
Matthew Geskey said:
You know what would be so much better. Port all of them to PC. That was the best part about Halo CE.
Halo CE was awful on PC, the net code was just embarrassing.
Was it? I really enjoyed the Halo 1 multiplayer.
Or was this something other than Halo CE: CE?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I agree with the OP. I don't think new graphics will make the game worth getting. When I've watched press coverage of this game it seems that 343 want to make it very very clear that they are doing nothing new or innovative at all with the game. All they're doing is adding a new coat of paint and tacking on multiplayer. And as I understand it all the new maps they're adding in to the game they will also release for Halo Reach too, so there's no point. This game sounds like nothing more than a cynical cash in.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
I'm in your boat, the pure graphics upgrade just doesn't do anything for me. Initially I thought that Halo anniversary was going to be Halo CE built in the pure Reach engine, which would have been awesome!
Kind of embarassing that (IMO)it took Bungie another three Halo games before making one whos gameplay was better than the original (just to clarify here, this is my opinion -NOT FACT).

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
I believe this Anniversary thing is a test of 343's habilities in depeloping a title. It serves as a safe testbed on which they can experiment development chops over a proven story and pretty much sure hit. I don't intend on buyng Halo 4, since the enterviews I've seen suggest they will abandon Bungie's innovation itch (dual wield and covenant related story for Halo 2, having the guts to lose Master Chief in space for Halo3, Jazzy music and multiple protagonists in a noir detective story for Halo3 Odst, and bringing the armor habilities and space combat in Reach) and just churn out episodic Master Chief adventures every 2 years.

I am, however, going to buy Anniversary, since I till play the Original Halo, and would love ome achievements to spice the challenge and also new graphics for my new tv.

leady129

Aug 3, 2009
Think of it in the same light as all the PS2 HD upgraded collection packs the PS3 has been getting lately... except they're charging you full price... ... and you only get one game... ... ... ... ...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Halo Anniversary will have the following changes/additions:

-Modern graphics and visuals for the campaign (though you can revert to the original look any time you want at the press of a button).

-Special "terminals" hidden away in each campaign level that flesh out the Halo universe a bit more.

-The ability to play Halo CE's multiplayer maps on Xbox Live using the Reach engine.

-A new Firefight map with friendly Marine NPC's.

Personally, I'll probably buy it after it drops in price. I already own Halo CE, and I think its visuals have aged very well. I also play Halo games primarily for the single player/co-op, so the Xbox Live selling point doesn't really matter to me. Adding a few new bells and whistles to the experience isn't enough for me to warrant buying it again at full price.

zuro64

Aug 20, 2009
saucecode said:
imahobbit4062 said:

I know it is a remake, but remake just seems to be new graphics (which kinda pisses me off).
But what other reasons would differentiate this game from the original.
Nothing really! Halo: Anniversary is just Halo: CE with updated grafics. Multiplayer is the only "new" feature to Halo + i think i read somewhere that it will ad some of the features from Halo: Reach with the upgrade system but not sure if the source is legit!

Personally im buying Halo: Anniversary because i dont have Halo: CE and I was thinking of buying it, so instead of having both Halo: Anniversary and Halo: CE I buy the first one and get basically the same game for less money! + if i want to i can play Halo: Anniversary with the grafics of Halo: CE with a click of a button :D

stika

Feb 20, 2009
leady129 said:
Think of it in the same light as all the PS2 HD upgraded collection packs the PS3 has been getting lately... except they're charging you full price... ... and you only get one game... ... ... ... ...
last I read they were not charging full price

as for the features, they're pretty basic, you can change between the old game's visual style and the new one, you have an analyze mode that's kinect exclusive, and it comes with reach's multiplayer and a few new map packs

I think they're charging 40$ for it

in the end I think it all comes down to what you want in a remaster, do you want two games without any improvements like the god of war collection? Or one game with SOME effort put into it?

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Halo Anniversary is Halo 1. That's all its ever been. It's the first game's campaign with a graphical overhaul that makes it look like it was made today. But the gameplay is entirely unchanged, the voice acting is the same, and the music has a remastered version but can also be set to the original.

So if you don't like the first game enough to want to play it with better visuals, this game is not for you. Don't expect anything more, because it was never meant or advertised to be anything more than it is; a better-looking re-release of one of the greatest sci-fi shooter campaigns ever made. As that, it's amazing.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:

Actually, some remakes tend to change things besides making it a repolished game. You can take a look at Tomb Raider: Anniversary and notice the level design was changed drastically.

343 just kept it plain and simple and did almost literally nothing to how the game functions and whatnot.