Halo Infinite is out.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I read/watched a lot of content on the lead-up to the game's launch as to how the open-world was "definitely not Far Cry", but, well, its definitely Far Cry.
I'm the guy who for the past 15 years you could have told a new Halo was coming out, and I'd have $60 allotted without question. Halo is open world now? 343 truly are grasping at straws. Of ALL missteps taken with Halo 5, the linear format was by far and away the LEAST of its problems. Halo used to feel like a labor of love, even the pandering of Halo 4 was respectable in that regard in that they didn't' want to stray too far from what the fanbase had come to expect. Halo 5 was "we're going different for difference's sake!" They got shit on, now, they're "doing open world because it's what people like!" 343 has hit a "0" on the respect-o-meter with me. Thankfully, said meter is specific to me and shouldn't affect anyone outside of myself.

Reactions: BrawlMan

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I'm the guy who for the past 15 years you could have told a new Halo was coming out, and I'd have $60 allotted without question. Halo is open world now? 343 truly are grasping at straws. Of ALL missteps taken with Halo 5, the linear format was by far and away the LEAST of its problems. Halo used to feel like a labor of love, even the pandering of Halo 4 was respectable in that regard in that they didn't' want to stray too far from what the fanbase had come to expect. Halo 5 was "we're going different for difference's sake!" They got shit on, now, they're "doing open world because it's what people like!" 343 has hit a "0" on the respect-o-meter with me. Thankfully, said meter is specific to me and shouldn't affect anyone outside of myself.
I feel like going 'open world' isn't the most egregious thing a Halo game can do. There were definitely levels throughout past Halo games, even the Bungie ones that had an open format but they were probably limited by tech at the time. Going 'open world' actually seems like a natural thing to try - the quality of the execution being another matter.

In Combat Evolved, we had Halo, Silent Cartographer and Assault On the Control Room(and Two Betrayals) as more open form less linear levels.

The later games are more linear, but there are some levels in H3 like Tsavo Highway and The Covenant that featured wider expansive maps with more freedom of approach.

ODST had the whole Streets 'hub'. Some levels like Uplift Reserve also has that open vehicular feel.

Halo Infinite essentially is somewhat structured like ODST. It has an open world hub similar to ODST's Mombasa Streets which you proceed through to access the main missions, while containing its own side stuff to do. Though Infinite's open world is very inspired by the Combat Evolved level "Halo".

Infinite's open world for most part, fits in terms of a thematic and narrative standpoint even if in practice it is basically a bunch of padding. But it's still a far cry from Ubisoft's and other open world game's open worlds that are filled with complete nonsense activities. You collect audiologs for lore. You collect "spartan cores" for upgrades which at least make sense, compared to collecting flowers and doing arbitrary challenges in Shadow of Mordor.

The audiologs do tell a fairly interesting side story. The grunt propaganda towers are pretty funny. And at the end of the day, Infinite nails the combat and therefore time wasting in the open world still ends up being a decently fun affair. I never really found it a chore getting from point A to B, compared to like GTA-style games where oh great, better hijack another car, and follow the in game GPS and commute some more. Shooting more dudes is just more fun to have, especially when you have the freedom to load up 5 rocket launcher wielding marines in a Razorback.

There's still plenty of room for improvement, I feel like there should've been some open world NPCs and a sub plot unfolding as you rescue more marines. It currently is just go to a place and shoot some dudes in some place. Unlocking alternate weapons through killing High Value Targets is cool, but the HVTs themselves are kinda lazily plopped around the map. I think the strongholds are quite fun to take down and are quite well done, and maybe the HVT/Marine rescue stuff could've used more such locales and areas rather than just a smattering of dudes in some clearing.

I never played 5, but as far as I'm concerned this is a huge improvement over 4.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I’m nearing the end of the game. Despite my criticism of the open world being empty, I find Halo Infinite to be better then 5. I also found it pretty fun and the hook shot a neat addition for the franchise.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’m nearing the end of the game. Despite my criticism of the open world being empty, I find Halo Infinite to be better then 5. I also found it pretty fun and the hook shot a neat addition for the franchise.
This looks like the most popular opinion. Infinite is better than 4, 5, or both. In Halo's case, that's mostly fine, but in the grand scheme of things, there are plenty of games better than all of them. Especially in the realm of shooters. Not much of a milestone.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This looks like the most popular opinion. Infinite is better than 4, 5, or both. In Halo's case, that's mostly fine, but in the grand scheme of things, there are plenty of games better than all of them. Especially in the realm of shooters. Not much of a milestone.
I wouldn't say plenty of games better then them. As I said a lot before, the gameplay for Infinite, the shooting traversal etc, is top tier, the story has issues, but most shooter stories for shooters that try to have stories have issues. I don't know if its the best but its kinda sad when ranking shooter stories and COD 4 is certainly in the top 5.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know if its the best but its kinda sad when ranking shooter stories and COD 4 is certainly in the top 5.
And that top 5 is bullshit so I ignore it. When I last checked, some random popularity site did not have the final word.

I wouldn't say plenty of games better then them. As I said a lot before, the gameplay for Infinite, the shooting traversal etc, is top tier, the story has issues, but most shooter stories for shooters that try to have stories have issues.
I give credit where credit is due. The hook-shot has versatility, and sure got more vertically than all of your CODs or Battlefield (Titanfall 2 already did that, but no hook shot), but that does not make up for stale environments, and lack of stage variety. It's like the series is just going through the motions and does not know what to do with itself. Plus, I can think of plenty of shooters better than Infinite. Be it story, gameplay, level design, characters, or weapon variety.

Look I never cared much for Halo back then, and I don't now, but I did have respect for what it achieved.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And that top 5 is bullshit so I ignore it. When I last checked, some random popularity site did not have the final word.
Ok, well thats kinda my list so thanks for that. Cause seriously, what fps games can you think of that try to have a real plot and have a really good one?

I give credit where credit is due. The hook-shot has versatility, and sure got more vertically than all of your CODs or Battlefield (Titanfall 2 already did that, but no hook shot), but that does not make up for stale environments, and lack of stage variety. It's like the series is just going through the motions and does not know what to do with itself. Plus, I can think of plenty of shooters better than Infinite. Be it story, gameplay, level design, characters, or weapon variety.
I mean its not hard to think of games better then other games, but it also really comes down to personal preference. I like the Halo gameplay and Infinite gets exactly how I wanted it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok, well thats kinda my list so thanks for that.
Good on you; more power to you.

Cause seriously, what fps games can you think of that try to have a real plot and have a really good one?
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order & New Colossus
  • Crysis 3
  • Timesplitters 3
  • Bioshock - Even if it's copying half of the script and twists from System Shock 2, I am still give the game credit for what it achieved.
  • F.E.A.R 1 & F.E.A.R 2 - More so the first game due to how it unveils the horror and the twists. The second game technically has a better story, but you have to read the wiki or look at long non-audio logs to get the full story and why wonder why things happen. Plus, kinda goes overboard with the "horror" and rarely ever scares. We don't even talk about the third game.
I mean its not hard to think of games better then other games, but it also really comes down to personal preference.
Yep. Which is why everyone has a different opinion.

I like the Halo gameplay and Infinite gets exactly how I wanted it.
And there is nothing wrong with that, and you are not wrong. There are other however that feel they didn't get what they wanted or the game couldn't fully commit to an idea and stick with it. Such is life.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
  • Crysis 3
  • Timesplitters 3
  • Bioshock - Even if it's copying half of the script and twists from System Shock 2, I am still give the game credit for what it achieved.
  • F.E.A.R 1 & F.E.A.R 2 - More so the first game due to how it unveils the horror and the twists. The second game technically has a better story, but you have to read the wiki or look at long non-audio logs to get the full story and why wonder why things happen. Plus, kinda goes overboard with the "horror" and rarely ever scares. We don't even talk about the third game.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Bioshock... and Wolfenstein. Whats the story in Crysis 3 that ranks so high? Also Timesplitters 3?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Whats the story in Crysis 3 that ranks so high?
A sense of finality. It closes out the character arcs for Prophet (Laurence Barnes) and Psycho (Micheal Sykes). These two guys have the best dynamics and interactions in the story and entire trilogy.The story of what it means to be human, with or without the Nano Suit. The game knew when to tie everything together and just end. The first game's story okay, but it's just there to justify the game play and setting. The second game story is good and straightforwards, but it's the acting from everyone else that holds it all together. The third game just takes all of the elements that works, and puts them to the best of their abilities. Also, I just love the ending. Obvious spoilers.

Also Timesplitters 3?
I just love how Future Perfect did the time travel and found the story hilarious. Not "deep" nor "intellectual", but just done so well. It's been too long, but I remember being very impressed how time travel was handled. How can play certain levels again from the perspective of Future Cortez, just to complete the time loop and see his side of the story. The comedy is on all full cylinders and the development nailed it every single time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So at this time of writing, I've completed all the FOBs and HVTs. Gotta say, I'm overpowered as hell at this point. Yeah, it's not like there's a levelling system, but when you can call in any vehicle you want, and your suit's decked out (dash is still useless), then the poor Banished don't have much of a chance.

Anyway, much of what I said still applies at this point, but as for random, more specific thoughts:

-So from what I can tell, the Banished's plan is to use Zeta Halo to clear the galaxy of enemies, leaving them as the victors? That...isn't the worst idea, but I'm not sure if being on the Halo actually protects you from its blast. Also, do they have a viable population?

-I'm mixed on the Harbinger. Really, there's little reason for her and John to be enemies, only by virtue of how "the enemy of my friend is my enemy." Or in this case, she's allied with the Banished, so the UNSC is the enemy? Fine. What's weird is that I feel like I should detest her, but don't. For instance, in one of the audio logs with Browning, she tells him "I shall talk, and you shall listen," which is an obvious Gravemind quote, yet it doesn't irritate me like so many other instances of pandering do.

-May as well mention that the Weapon is still adorable. It honestly feels like I should be sick of her by this point, but somehow, she's still endearing.

Halo 5 was "we're going different for difference's sake!"
How, though?

Halo 5 changed a few things, such as its mobility and the squad system, but I'm not sure how those differences were for the sake of it.

There's still plenty of room for improvement, I feel like there should've been some open world NPCs and a sub plot unfolding as you rescue more marines. It currently is just go to a place and shoot some dudes in some place. Unlocking alternate weapons through killing High Value Targets is cool, but the HVTs themselves are kinda lazily plopped around the map. I think the strongholds are quite fun to take down and are quite well done, and maybe the HVT/Marine rescue stuff could've used more such locales and areas rather than just a smattering of dudes in some clearing.

I never played 5, but as far as I'm concerned this is a huge improvement over 4.
I fully agree on the idea of a marine sub-plot. It's weird how the game reflects how the UNSC forces are becoming more powerful as you liberate more FOBs (via their dialogue and the access to heavier weapons), but I really think there should have been a marine NPC or someone, anyone, that could act as a CO. Heck, Lasky or Palmer, even.

As for the HVTs, I don't mind them. I appreciate how each of them has lore behind them, so there's that.

Strongholds are the most fun to take.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh, and if we're doing "top 5 FPS plots," for shits and giggles, I had a play, limiting myself to one entry per franchise:

5: Perfect Dark
4: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
3: Killzone
2: Halo 2/Halo: Reach (maybe this is cheating, but they're practically level - I guess H2 if you put a gun to my head, but that's it)
1: BioShock

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Good on you; more power to you.

• Crysis 3
  • Timesplitters 3

Yep. Which is why everyone has a different opinion.

And there is nothing wrong with that, and you are not wrong. There are other however that feel they didn't get what they wanted or the game couldn't fully commit to an idea and stick with it. Such is life.
I prefer Bioshock Infinite….over Halo Infinite!
see what I did there? Haha

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, pretty much this.

I read/watched a lot of content on the lead-up to the game's launch as to how the open-world was "definitely not Far Cry", but, well, its definitely Far Cry.

The world is expansive, but there is nothing to see. There are objectives all over the map, but they are all the same. You are free to tackle engagements from any angle, but you are probably just better off avoiding them entirely. The game suffers from exactly the same open-world flaws as pretty much every other open-world game over the past decade.

Im just not excited about a potential sequel/expansion with the same open-world mechanics.

Swinging around like Spider-Man was fun, though.

There are exceptions. People are still posting new things they randomly find or do in the RDR2 Reddit after three years. OTOH, we probably won’t see a game like that again the way Rockstar’s going, so there’s that.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I beat Halo Infinite. And by "beat," I mean I completed the campaign, I've liberated every FOB, taken out every Banished outpost, and rescued every squad. Of course there's more to do, but I have no intention of doing so right now.

Anyway, overall, the game is good, both in singleplayer, and multiplayer. Random thoughts at this point in time:

-It might just be me, but the later half of the game seems to 'funnel' you much more than the first half. As in, one mission leads directly into the next, whereas before, the game was far more open. You don't technically have to in this part, but the 'funnelling' remains. And I don't mean that as a bad thing. I actually prefer sequential missions to the open world stuff. It actually kind of makes me wish the game wasn't open world at all and just had a series of missions like prior games.

-My comments about the thin plot still stand - as in, it's a weak story that has sound dialogue and characterization. From what I've read, this seems to be a pretty common consensus. However, I'm actually going to give praise to the game for its theme, which I'd sum up as "legacy." Because having reached the end of the game, it's clear how much of a theme this is. As in, almost every piece of characterization and worldbuilding in the game ties into legacy in some way.

On the character front, we have John, Cortana, and the Weapon. The Weapon is operating in the shadow of Cortana. John's haunted by Cortana. Cortana herself has to confront her own legacy at the end. Her empire's crumbled around her, and in her final moments, sacrifices herself (somehow - I get that she detonated the ring, but the segment where she died seems to be intact, so where exactly were she and Atriox when it happened?)

This idea of legacy extends to the Banished as well. I've commented before that Escharum was a shallow villain, but having beaten him now, I've found myself reconsidering that. In part because his boss fight is super tough. In part because of his dying words, and how it ties in with everything. Escharum is operating in Atriox's shadow (reinforced by how many times Atriox is mentioned by him), and his final words are "tell them I died well." Escharum's keeping Atriox's legacy in mind as much as his own - there's a kind of humanity to him in his final moments of not wanting to be forgotten. And it's heavily implied, if not outright confirmed that Escharum is doomed to die soon anyway.

And then there's the Forerunners/Endless/monitors. We're in the legacy of the Forerunners again, only this time it's hammered home how dickish they actually were (not a revelation per se, granted). So, we're in the legacy of the Forerunners, whose legacy is to do with the Endless. On the character level, this extends to Adjutant Resolution and the Harbinger herself. Resolution irritated me initially, but his final appearance at the end actually did a 180 via a single line - "there's so much she [Despondant Pyre] didn't tell me..." We know Pyre played a role in imprisoning the Endless, now she's gone, so Resolution has to step up, so to speak, and deal with shit he had nothing to do with. Similarly, the Harbinger - her final lines are "tell them I'm sorry it took so long" and "my time is ending..." We have the legacy of the Endless, but Harbinger's own personal concern about 'fading,' and hoping that her efforts weren't in vain. Which, come to think of it, is similar to Escharum's. And in terms of worldbuilding, we're in the ruins of the Forerunner's domain, in the aftermath of the end of Cortana's empire.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, or maybe you're reading this and saying "no shit," but TL, DR, "legacy" is interwoven throughout the entire game's story, so I'll give it props for that. In terms of plot, it isn't one of the strongest Halo games, but I'd argue it's one of the strongest in terms of theme. And while this will raise a few eyebrows, it arguably acts as a segway from Halo 5, which explored the idea of the Mantle and how maybe, upholding it isn't the best idea, since it's reguarly led to disaster.

-That said, others have pointed this out, but Cortana arguably gets off way too easy. I mean, sure, she DID destroy Sydney (I don't blame her - Australia's creatures are even deadlier than the Flood 0_0), and DID blow up a space station, and DID destroy Doisac, likely killing billions, but hey, we're cool, right? No hard feelings?

-Back to plot though - I like the Harbinger as a character, and her boss fight is fun (if too easy - maybe it's because I'm playing on normal), but I still think there's a bit of contrivance involved. The "Reformation" will do...something. She's fighting John, because "the enemy (humans) of my friends (Banished) is my enemy," or something. She even points out in the fight itself that they don't have to be enemies, or words to that effect. I can't help but wonder if things could be avoided if they sat down and talked rather than fought it over because of...reasons.

-Atriox's reveal at the end. Okay, sure, fair enough. What I want to know (and what I've seen far fewer people talking about) is the device he uses to open the door that leads to what I assume are Endless cylixes). Is it his own AI or something? Because if so, then, well, that's a nice parallel.

-The Weapon chooses her name, but we'll find our what it is next time. I guess. I swear to god, if she calls herself "Cortana..." Gah. So far, the best names I've seen are Joyuse (there's an etymological reason) or "Echo." (hardy hah hah...dunno how Overwatch would feel about that). I think those are the two most likely ones, but maybe "Leela?" Since Cortana is similar to Durandal from Bungie's Marathon series, and Leela guided the security officer before Durandal took over, maybe that would be a reference? Unlikely, but it would work.

Anyway, game's very much a net positive. This is going to raise some eyebrows, but if my current ranking of the Halo games are as follows:

10) Halo: ODST

9) Halo 4

8) Halo Wars 2

7) Halo Wars

6) Halo 5: Guardians

5) Halo Infinite

4) Halo 2

3) Halo 3

2) Halo: Reach

1) Halo: Combat Evolved

Anyway, time to bug out.

Reactions: BrawlMan