Halo Infinite is out.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I don't think Woolie's "they need more time" argument fits here. Ever since the heyday of "Craig" it's seemed like 343i has been floundering, with what seemed like a reasonably solid launch being progressively ruined, and I couldn't even begin to guess what directives Microsoft has been handing down to them this whole while. It's a mess from core to skin and I don't think more time will fix much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't think Woolie's "they need more time" argument fits here. Ever since the heyday of "Craig" it's seemed like 343i has been floundering, with what seemed like a reasonably solid launch being progressively ruined, and I couldn't even begin to guess what directives Microsoft has been handing down to them this whole while. It's a mess from core to skin and I don't think more time will fix much.
I heard what he said about "more time", and I assumed that was sarcasm. Hence, when Woolie listed all of the other big gaming AAA project disasters. Sarcasm or not, Infinite has had more than enough time, and there is no excuse for the sorry state and false/delayed promises present nearly a year in.

Reactions: Dalisclock

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
343 head Bonnie Ross has resigned citing a family emergency.

If her reason for leaving is indeed true, then obviously I wish her and her family the best.

With that being said, and whilst I understand that these kinds of things can happen at any time, it does seem beyond coincidental that she so suddenly leaves, for seemingly unrelated reasons, after the frustration with 343 is at its height.

In either case, I hope she lands on her feet.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
So I have just gone back to have a look at the Season 2 roadmap, that was released in April. Its quite amazing looking at it, knowing what we know now.

1650671195382.png

New Game Modes: Last Spartan Standing was removed from matchmaking because of a low population.

Narrative events: very short cutscenes, generally poorly received (I think some of these have been removed from the game, and are now only available to watch on YouTube, too?)

Campaign network co-op: Originally targeted for August, now delayed to the Season 2.5 Winter Update in November.

Campaign mission replay: Originally targeted for August, now delayed to the Season 2.5 Winter Update in November.

Forge Open beta: Originally targeted for September, now delayed to the Season 2.5 Winter Update in November.

Season 3: Originally targeted for November, now delayed to March 2023.

Campaign split-screen co-op: Originally due to release in Season 3, now cancelled.

So really, from the promised roadmap, all Season 2 actually gave us, were two maps, two modes (and King of the Hill should have been in the game from the start, anyway), and some more customisation options.

343 are really leaning hard on that "Subject to Change" disclaimer.

Bleak.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Something Act man said spoke to me on a personal level. "Don't go out of your way to harass people who still play and have fun. Just make the decision yourself to not play and not pay for anything"

I must admit, I've burned many bridges with different game communities. Fortnite, LOL, CSGO, Valorant, WOW, COD, Apex, and of course, Halo Infinite. Like, I just couldn't handle the toxic wasteland anymore. Ever since I went singleplayer-only, I only felt peace

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Something Act man said spoke to me on a personal level. "Don't go out of your way to harass people who still play and have fun. Just make the decision yourself to not play and not pay for anything"
That can be applied to so many other things. I will never understand how you can go out of your way to message a complete stranger to make their day worse. Absolute psychotic behavior in my opinion.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ever since I went singleplayer-only, I only felt peace
It's the best feeling in the world. Then again, I never cared much for competitive multiplayer to begin with. I only cared for local and online co-op. It's good to know you're at peace when you just have something to yourself, and not have to be constantly connected to the internet 24/7. Exactly why I have been going to the smaller games.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
That can be applied to so many other things. I will never understand how you can go out of your way to message a complete stranger to make their day worse. Absolute psychotic behavior in my opinion.
It's the best feeling in the world. Then again, I never cared much for competitive multiplayer to begin with. I only cared for local and online co-op. It's good to know you're at peace when you just have something to yourself, and not have to be constantly connected to the internet 24/7. Exactly why I have been going to the smaller games.
I also have to admit I used to be really vocal about why certain games were terrible. Whether it was terrible community, bs "cosmetic-only" MTX, me being terrible at the game, or the game being bad in general, I tried to convince a group of people that those games were bad and they should stop playing. All I got in return was ridicule, being labeled as a toxic boomer, and someone they wouldn't send game invite to.

I tried to fit in and like the games, even go out of my way to watch guide vids on youtube to imrpove myself, but it was simply impossible. I quickly realized all the shit I was doing was not worth feeling frustrated and desperate for someone to agree with me. So I jut left that group as soon as I was done with those games. It's been seven months

The peace I've felt since then has been great, but also kinda lonely.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
All I got in return was ridicule, being labeled as a toxic boomer, and someone they wouldn't send game invite to.
Then they're the bigger fools for not realizing when they are being continuously duped. The fools will learn eventually. Let's hope they don't put themselves or their loved ones in debt. Assuming they have any.

So I jut left that group as soon as I was done with those games. It's been seven months
I know what it's like to try to be a part of something, not everyone is always going to be around or be there for the same reasons. Just as many as people will leave either out of boredom, "the next big thing/trending", or because they don't like the thing they're doing.

The peace I've felt since then has been great, but also kinda lonely.
You are never alone. If you can find or got one; have a co-op buddy or meet up with a few people that share similar interests in games. Be it online or in person. Do what you can.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Ever since I went singleplayer-only, I only felt peace
I used to be a (small) content creator for Planetside 2, but the community got so toxic (one [in]famous player publicly called for the lead dev to kill himself, after that dev had literally spent nights and weekends for months working to save the game) that I deleted every single video and walked away from the community and online gaming as a whole. Did I leave behind some friends? Yes. But the alternative was to keep sipping the poison until I became just as toxic.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well, there's a job and a half. Switching game engines isn't just a matter of dragging assets into a new folder and clicking "compile".
In their case it might just wind up being easier than salvaging what sounded like a train wreck of an engine. I mean, the early warning signs were how outdated the game looked from the get go. Then they managed to get it looking marginally better, but at what cost(s)?

Perhaps not coincidentally, UE is also the route CDPR has taken after the Cyberpunk debacle.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Jeez, abandoning an engine they made just for the game? This documentary-to-be just gets more and more interesting.
Well, there's a job and a half. Switching game engines isn't just a matter of dragging assets into a new folder and clicking "compile".
In their case it might just wind up being easier than salvaging what sounded like a train wreck of an engine. I mean, the early warning signs were how outdated the game looked from the get go. Then they managed to get it looking marginally better, but at what cost(s)?

Perhaps not coincidentally, UE is also the route CDPR has taken after the Cyberpunk debacle.
At this point, 343i should consider a change in careers or work somewhere else. Microsoft does not even care anymore. I feel bad for all of the Halo fans out there. Like I mentioned before, I was never a big fan of the franchise, but respected the series for what it brought to the table, and its ambition.