Halo on PC

Ascarine

Mar 31, 2009
S.H.A.R.P. said:
I played Halo on the PC back in the day. I thought it wasn't much fun but that my just be personal (it started out okay, but it became so utterly and dreadfully repetitive after a while). I am not aware that Halo 2 is out on the PC. I would like to try it out if so. Any thoughts on this?
To answer this its yes. Halo 2 has been released on the PC. It only runs on Vista though. It was release when Windows were trying to sell people Vista saying it was a piece of gold when its a pile of Crap. So windows believed that by bringing out a 1 or 2 year old game from Xbox to PC gamers it would all of a sudden make people want to get Vista.

Halfbreed13 said:
Buy CoD2. Better online, better single player. Better everything. Or get CoD4. Or MW2. OR Singularti. OR BIOSHOCK 2. OR Global Agenda. OR-- *Head exsplosion*
This is also a point that is very valid. CoD2 is better but thats only cos you would compare it to CoD3 or WaW which are crap games. The origional Halos graphics, as you can imagine, aren't great but thats cos it was made in 2002. The game play is pretty good overall for a Single player campaign but the actuall multiplayer is crap really. It's a good laugh to begin with but then the Novelty wears off. It's one of those games i bought to learn the sortyline before the next one kinda of a thing. tbh its probably worth it just for the pricing and the epically good Storyline.

Ascarine

Mar 31, 2009
scnj said:
If you really can't get to grips with it on Xbox, Halo is worth picking up on PC. I'd advise against getting Halo 2 on PC, because it ends on a cliffhanger and it's been announced that Halo 3 is going to remain exclusive to 360.
This was also said by Microsoft about Halo 2. "Exclusive to Xbox" is pretty much saying "You might see it in a few years when our next operating system comes out and doesn't sell as well as we thought it would."

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
scnj said:
If you really can't get to grips with it on Xbox, Halo is worth picking up on PC. I'd advise against getting Halo 2 on PC, because it ends on a cliffhanger and it's been announced that Halo 3 is going to remain exclusive to 360.
Another reason M$ is the dumbest company, not that we really needed another reason

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I've tried Halo: Combat Evolved on PC, it was pretty good. I couldn't notice any bugs or such.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
generic gamer said:
its alright on pc but the system requirements are horrifying! i mean the actual system requirements, not the ones on the box. it'll be ok on a modern pc but i know my old build that played oblivion fine had trouble with halo, go figure.
I remember trying to play it on a new high end PC like 3 years after it released on PC and it ran like utter garbage (cause the game is utter garbage). The only other game with that issue was Deus Ex Invisible Wars :p

Dr.Sean

Apr 5, 2009
Daveman said:
Is the reason that Halo 3 hasn't been released on PC because it's been specifically hyped to sell 360's? Now that's a better question.

EDIT: not really bashing, just more peeved by the whole PR thing
The reaason Halo 3 hasn't been released on PC is because they are going to make it run on DirectX11, which, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't been released yet.

norsef

Oct 22, 2008
Well I think the reason that Halo 3 never went to PC was that when Halo 2 arrived, two and a half years late, without any hype or marketing push it was pretty badly panned. Gamespot, for example gave the xbox version 94% and gave the Vista version 70%.

I do think the first Halo was a revolution creating a whole slew of innovations such as first person control that works on a controller, regenerating health, vehicle sections, arena style rooms where you could pick your own ways through, co-op, console death match and on and on. But I don't think the sequel innovated in the same way and compared to what had been released in the interim (Half Life 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R in particular). I can't comment on 3 as I haven't played it.

But Halo has become too much of a franchise for Microsoft to spread out even if only on to its own bally platform (Windows).

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
Halo 2 on the PC isn't that bad, I didn't experience any glitches with it and the XBOX version has compatability problems with the 360, specifically ghost images appearing on the screen after completing about 2 levels. However the multiplayer was the best part of Halo 1 but the community is pretty much dead same for Halo 2, the story is good imo and is worth playing atleast for that, even if the 1st game is very repetitive.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Dr.Sean said:
Daveman said:
Is the reason that Halo 3 hasn't been released on PC because it's been specifically hyped to sell 360's? Now that's a better question.

The reaason Halo 3 hasn't been released on PC is because they are going to make it run on DirectX11, which, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't been released yet.
Why? Does Halo 3 even run on that level on the 360? I don't think so as my PC (as I so often boast) has as good graphical ability as a PS3.
But anyway, thanks for updating me on that though I'm not wholly convinced.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Dr.Sean said:
Daveman said:

Microsoft better not pull that bullshit a second time. Halo2 didn't even need DX10 as it's no Crysis, and it was just a retarded means to get people to buy Vista. Microsoft, if you ever do decide to bring Halo 3 to PC don't pull that shit, it won't work. Halo 3 would run flawlessly on DX9 but I wont be surprised if they make it windows 7 only :/ bastards...

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
We play halo 1 on lan at college since the old computers can just about handle it. so fun with shed loads of people in one room gaming it up!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Lordmarkus said:
I read a review once that said Halo 2 on PC is constantly bugging. Is it true? Anyway, is Halo for PC worth a shot?
Halo 2 PC is crap, don't touch it.

Halo PC is a bit more difficult.

The single player is identical to the console version, it's excellent, lots of fun and a very stable game.

BUT.
The online multplayer is horrific. It's essentially the same as the console version, meaning it has no anti cheat, no bugs fixed and no lag compensation. As a result it's full of bugs, spawn camping, warping and cheating bastards.

It can be fun but it's nowhere near good enough to play for any length of time. If you wanted a multiplayer game Quake 3, Battlefield 1942, Unreal Tournament or Counter Strike Source would be much better (they have roughly similar pc requirements).

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
I've never really liked Halo anyway but I preferred the PC version to the xBox version - I can't really get along with consoles so my opinion is slightly biased but altogether, if the game is about £5, then go for it, if not, don't.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'm refering to the stupid business choice, locking the game to 360 only even after its become old because they think PC gamers are silly enough to get it for 1 game is absolutly stupid. Thus, it shows their stupidity.
I frankly dont care about Halo, I was making a comment on MS's stupid choices.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Halo isn't that great on PC. It's nothing special to begin with, just immensely over-hyped, so probably not worth it.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I rarely use the PC soely because I suck at moving the mouse for FPS's... I can do most other things just not PC FPS'S