HALO: Reach-- Booing Bungie's grand finale

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Whoo, boy! I ain't done this in a while!
*cracks knuckles*

[HEADING=1]TARGET ACQUIRED:[/HEADING] [HEADING=2]HALO REACH[/HEADING]
Given that this is www.Escapistmagazine.com, chances are, if you're reading this, you don't have a terribly high opinion of HALO. Chances are you're also fifteen, an atheist, and kind of a douchebag[footnote] If those words don't apply to you, pretend I wrote something nice instead.[/footnote], but that's not the point; the point is that many of us, myself included, have had something of a tumultuous relationship with the Xbox's prized franchise, and for good reason: Halo 1 was an exercise in tedium and boredom marketed as a game; Halo 2 was a slightly more refined version of the same; Halo 3 was actually kind of good but brought down by a pathetic campaign and some awful design decisions; ODST was genuinely decent, but universally disliked for some inexplicable reason; and Halo Wars was so mind-bendingly awful that I don't like to admit it exists.

Given that, it's hard to believe that I like the franchise as much as I do: but try as I might, the stylish post-Liefeldian space opera aesthetic and immensely satisfying run-and-gun gameplay override my dislike of the often-lazy storytelling and the punishing bullet-Hell difficulty. So it was with a decidedly neutral stance that I awaited HALO: Reach, the last entry in Bungie's work on HALO, and possibly the last HALO altogether.

...And now, after beating the campaign twice over (once on hard, once on super-hard; once in co-op, once on my lonesome), earning oodles of in-game commendations and achievements, creating a pimp SPARTAN, and blowing just over six hours on online matchmaking, my neutral stance has yet to change.

To put it plainly, HALO: Reach is simply...there. It pushes no envelopes, but on the other hand it cuts little slack. In the grand scheme of things, it's largely insignificant, and had it not borne the HALO name, it would've sat on the shelves for a few months and been swiftly forgotten. As a tactical shooter, it sits about even with Modern Warfare 2; as a run-and-gun shooter, it's a step below Serious Sam and a step above HALO 3; as a story, it's worse than ODST but better than Bad company; and as a Bungie title it's still made a mockery of by Marathon.

Nearly all of Reach is, in one way or another, a mistake; I can't think of a single opportunity it didn't waste or miss, with the possible exception of the extremely amusing armor customization feature.

For those of you who haven't obsessively read the HALO novels, comic books, and websites, compulsively played all the previous HALO games, and committed the HALO encyclopedia to memory, allow me and my incredible knowledge retention abilities/power to guess like a nut to explain:

Reach takes place before HALO 1, on the planet Reach during a massive attack by the race of Scientologist fundamentalists known as "The Covenant". Reach is the planet where the SPARTANS (the big lads and lasses in powered armor you play as) are trained and outfitted, as well as one of the few planets that's as strategically important to the human race as Earth itself. Given that the siege of Reach is a well-documented event in-canon and the game's tagline is "Remember Reach", there's nothing I can really spoil about the plot; and as such I will not use spoiler tags when I tell you that *MASSIVE PLOT SPOILER AHEAD*
Reach is eventually nuked, vitrified, and purged with fire and salt while most everyone on it dies horribly and violently and you commit suicide by Bolivian Army.
*MASSIVE PLOT SPOILER OVER*

You play as the nameless "Six", who aside from being the spawn of Kratos and Princess Shera (as far as I can tell) is the newest addition to the six-man SPARTAN team of Noble Squad.

...Unfortunately, every single member of your team is so token that they could give the boys from Mass Effect 2 a run for their money. Additionally, they're all one-note to the extreme. First, there's Carter, your ostensible commander, who is voiced by the omnipresent Nolan North and says maybe nine things in the entire game. Then you have Kat, the ambiguously Slavic token hacker girl with a robot arm; and Jun, the ambiguously slavic token sniper guy. After that you have Emile, the ambiguously Australian psychotic killer who inexplicably is voiced by someone who I can only identify as Shaquille O'Neil; and Jorge, the most well-realized of the characters in the sense that he is Hungarian, large, and apparently had some kind of romance with the lady in charge of the SPARTAN program.

Bringing up the rear is your player avatar, the newly inducted Noble 6, who is ostensibly a highly trained assassin versed in the arts of akimbo firearms, heavy demolitions, and all those other things PCs like to be good at. Interestingly (for a HALO game), Six is created from the ground-up in the single-player and multiplayer. At the start of the game, you dictate Six's gender, armor color, and armor ensemble; and as you score points and gain ranks throughout all of the game modes (a bit like the newer Tom Clancy games), you unlock new pieces of armor which you can apply as you would. To give Reach credit, it's a fun and well-designed system, even more so because the changes you make to your character are reflected in cutscenes as well as gameplay.

It's really a shame that nobody you meet is memorable; ODST had more personality and flair than Reach does, and at least Master Chief had that eargasmic disc jockey voice. I doubt the average Joe will even remember your team members' names (I know the average Jane certainly doesn't), and this is supposed to be the deep, meaningful, character-driven finale! It's not like Bungie can't tell a good story or write a character arc--I mean, they've done both of those with this very franchise (to an extent). All it would've taken is a few cutscenes, a flashback or two, or even some in-mission dialogue to round the cast out.

It should be noted that, in a nod to Half-life 2 and...well, too many games to count, really, you spend at least one mission with each of your team members in what I assume is a tragically inept attempt to make you feel an attachment to them. What Bungie failed to realize was that players enjoyed the company of Alyx Vance and Elena Fisher because they were more than just a few extra guns you didn't have to carry; both of them were developed in their own ways, so they felt less like clouds of ones and zeroes and more like living, breathing people.

I--and I think I speak for everyone--don't want to play a game where I work as a team with Kat, an ambiguously russian cyborg with a gun. I want to play a game where my teammate is Katherine Tchaikovsky, a native of the Russian-dominated agricultural planet Byway, where she had a promising career as a ballerina before being kidnapped at age seven and brainwashed into becoming a SPARTAN; and I want to know that one day she hacked into her personal file and rediscovered her past, to find out that her mother had died in a tractor-related accident shortly after she was taken and her father had joined the army; and I want to learn about how she realized, horrified, that her father had been gunned down while she watched two months previously, and how ever since she's been wrestling with her torturous existence as a living weapon of mass destruction who is also, under that mask, a breathing, thinking human being.
But, as it is, Noble team is essentially:

_______
[color=white]________________[/color][b]Left to right: Heavy Weapons Guy, Nathan Drake, Space whale, Skeleton hat, Miss Ingarm, and Baldy
[color=white]_______________________[/color]Not Pictured: [s]Nomad, Preston, Gordon, Fixer, Soap, the Green Ranger[/s] Noble Six[/b]

The premise itself is also wasted; more noticeably, even. Just think about it--there you are, one of the greatest warriors who ever lived, surrounded by five of the same, fighting for all that you know and love against an overwhelming enemy force over the course of a month and a week (give or take). [i]Reach[/i] should, for all intents and purposes, be a long, arduous, and trying bloodbath of a game, that allows you to witness first-hand everything that is being undone by your foe. As it is, it's a paltry and generic ten-mission campaign with plenty of timeskips, which doesn't create the feeling that you're fighting for the sake of an entire planet as much as you are bracing yourself for the competitive multiplayer.

As far as gameplay goes, the game can be more readily forgiven. The many weapons at your disposal have been redesigned, rebalanced, and generally refined: all of them are satisfying to use, satisfying to listen to, and are useful for enacting satisfying degrees of violence. The sniper rifles are snipey-er, the assault rifles are assault-rifley-er, and the perennially useless energy carbine has been replaced with the extremely accurate and stupidly high-powered needle rifle.

The guns are, in case it isn't clear, a major step up from [i]HALO 3[/i] and [i]ODST[/i], but at the end of the day they're basically just retreads of what we already had. What Bungie did change about the increasingly stale [i]HALO[/i] formula, however, is conspicuous in the extreme.

First and foremost, [i]Reach[/i] introduces us to "armor functions". An armor function is, essentially, what would happen if the marketing guys got to design the powerups for the game; by holding down the left bumper, you can use whichever function you have equipped, and each one is wildly different. One finally serves as the much-needed "Sprint" command; another freezes you in place but makes you completely indestructible as long as you use it; another sends out a holographic decoy of you to draw enemy fire; and my personal (spectacularly ineffective) favorite activates an active camouflage function and allows you to Agent Texas your way through entire armies if used properly.

Oh, and there's also those jetpacks that the marketers keep banging on about, but really who gives a toss.

...Come to think of it, there's a lot of things about the hype that really don't matter. The space combat that everyone made such a huge deal out of only appears for a very short stint halfway through the game (but is immediately followed by a decidedly superb zero gravity firefight); the [i]Modern Warfare[/i] style stealth sections--that you know, the ones that were also advertised as being in [i]ODST[/i] way back in 2009--are all unfailingly awful; the AI still eats shoes and licks windows; the vehicles handle slighty better than they did in [i]ODST[/i] (but those were never really trouble for me anyways); and the campaign denies you access to the "jump slighty to the side and don't get hit my that missile" power, which would be about a million times more useful than anything it actually gives you.

The level design is (usually) much more open and expansive than previous titles--they're often more reminiscent of [i]Crysis[/i] than [i]Doom[/i]. There's usually a dozen or more ways to approach any given situation, with the exception of the insufferable frequent miniboss encounters, all of which railroad you into a direct (and usually very painful) confrontation.

Speaking of, one thing I noticed was that Bungie has apparently gone soft on the players: the difficulty curve, even on the infamously brutal Legendary difficulty, is much less pronounced than other [i]HALO[/i] games. Even with several the difficulty enhancers on, [i]Reach[/i] is fairly easy. It's certainly no Veteran difficulty, and it makes [i]HALO 3[/i] look like [i]I Wanna be The Guy[/i] in comparison.

...Of course, that might be due to the fact that you can actually do stuff now, so I won't complain too much.

In a nutshell, [i]Reach[/i] is just a slighty-tweaked model of the HALO 1 formula, because Bungie has apparently realized that next to nobody liked [i]2[/i] or [i]3[/i].

The multiplayer is more of the same, to nobody's surprise. It's all there: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, etc. All of the new maps are well-designed, though, and most of them are pulled pixel-for-pixel from the campaign. The iconic Blood Gulch map makes a return, as does Bungie's trademark Easter egg Tourette's. The only genuinely new additions to the mutliplayer are the aforementioned armor functions, the redesigned (and much, MUCH, deeper) Forge system, and a new gametype called "Invasion".

[color=white]____________________________[/color][img src="http://www.gamereactor.eu/media/20/lyssnahalo_202086.jpg" width="300" height="470"]
[color=white]______________________________________[/color] [b]LET'S DOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIT![/b]
The armor functions have a dramatic impact on combat; more than you'd think, in fact. In most gametypes, you select a class that comes with predetermined weapons and an armor function to match. For example, the Elite-exclusive "Assassin" class carries a close-range high-powered needler and a shield-destroying plasma pistol to go along with his radar-jamming active camo; while the SPARTAN "Scout" class uses a magnum and an assault rifle along with his sprint ability. Players can act as medics using their healing-and-damage-negating "drop shield" power, while others can use their jetpacks to casually rain death from a hard-to-reach location. If used properly, clever players will have their opponents chasing after ghosts, wasting ammunition on an indestructible (or perpetually mobile) opponent, and walking into backstabs.

Speaking of, another big part of the hype was the new "assassination mechanic". As always, if you get behind an opponent, you can press the melee button to make his vulnerable and nublie rear feel the furious penetration of your weapon for instant satisfaction; but if you hold down the button, you'll trigger an elaborate three-second animation where you hop on your victim's back and get fancy with your knife, which is sure to leave you ecstatic and your opponent screaming from the pain and humiliation.

Said backstabs come in many varieties; land on an enemy from a great height to knock them over and stomp on their head; assassinate an enemy mid air to suplex them and throw them into the ground; or assassinate an enemy about to turn around to duck under their initial blow and introduce your weapon to their innards.

...However, while performing one of said assassinations, you are immobile and extremely vunerable to damage, making them into nothing more than showy, impractical insta-kills (that are, albeit, extremely satisfying).
[color=white]_[/color]
Forge World is supposed to work like LittleBigPlanet, but it's not very interesting to me. Moving on.
[color=white]_[/color]
For what it's worth, I think Invasion is pretty fun: it pits a team of SPARTANS against a team of Elite Covenant warriors (called "Elites", oddly enough). One team attempts to defend a series of checkpoints, while another attempts to occupy them for twenty seconds so they can conquer them. After the first set is conquered, a secondary set of checkpoints further down the map appear, and after one of those is captured, then--wait, hang on a second...
I know I've heard that somewhere before. Just gimme a second...

[img src="http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/106/1063247/battlefield-bad-company-2-20100125115102739.jpg" width="300" height="250"]
Wait for it...
[img src="http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/102/1027467/battlefield-bad-company-2-20090922085246733.jpg" width="300" height="250"]
No, No, don't tell me! I got it!

[img src="http://dustygamer.mcmuumio.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/battlefield_bad_company_generic_cover.jpg" width="200" height="300"]

...Eh, I don't got it. Probably just my imagination.

[b]Bottom Line:[/b] I didn't have a very strong opinion of [i]HALO: Reach[/i] one way or the other, but in the interest of truth and reconciliation I will admit that it's actually pretty good in places. It's hardly as good as the exploits of the [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Republic_Commando]Delta Four[/URL], but it may very well be a pillar of autumn entertainment this year. Apprach it with a grave mind and you might be dissapointed; approach it as a hardcore fan and you'll love it. Sometimes it feels like a monument to of all of Bungie's sins, but despite its numerous flaws, this game has a spirit of fire and is, on the whole, worth waking when you need it.

...Could've used more mythology gags, through.

[b]Recomendation:[/b] It was flawed, but I liked it in the end. But then again, I liked Punisher: War Zone, and I can tell you I'm pretty much alone in that. I also got it for cheapy chips, so whether it's worth the sixty dollar tag is your call.

[i]This Review is based on the standard edition of the game.[/i]

[i]H.T. Black thought he'd try writing he way out; mix things up a little.[/i]

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Damned good review overall, and pretty funny at times too. A bit of wall-o-text in there, but the review was entertaining enough that it wasn't a big deal. I disagree with your assessment of the multiplayer maps, though. So far I've found most of them to be fucking terrible.

HT_Black said:
But then again, I liked Punisher: War Zone, and I can tell you I'm pretty much alone in that.
You're never the only one. It's a terrible, terrible film, but I loved it so much.

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
Halo Reach may not be super innovative, or creative...

But it is Solid in all aspects, and it tells a great story, and is POLISHED. It also has a GREAT multi-player that is heavily backed by Bungie.

MONSTERheart

Aug 17, 2009
HT_Black said:
Forge World is supposed to work like LittleBigPlanet, but it's not very interesting to me. Moving on.
Ignoring one of the major components of the game is not a great way to review it. Just saying.

It seemed apparent to me from the beginning of the review that a respectable amount of your opinion on this game was influenced on your mostly negative opinion of the others. Most of your review seemed to have a negative bias against whatever you were talking about. If you didn't like the game, fine; just make sure you didn't like it just because you didn't like the others.

While I do agree with some of the points you make, namely those relating to the weak plot/characters/etc, I found most of your review to consist of strawman-esque arguments and pre-dispositions rather than a neutral take on the game without such a heavy emphasis on the context like it should.

MasterMongoose0

Nov 3, 2009
I liked Halo: Reach's story for Jorge.

Jorge is the first Halo character outside of Sgt. Johnson to be remotely memorable. He has a personality and it actually meaningful as a character. I think I speak for everyone when I (*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS*) was pissed at watching the only character who talked die halfway through the game.

Take Carter and Emile first! Please!

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
Never really liked the games, but I've read all of the books and such. I agree with most of your points.

Was that Atheist comment necessary?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
MasterMongoose0 said:
I liked Halo: Reach's story for Jorge.
Jorge was the character that pissed me off the most, not because of his personality but because everyone called him "George" but it's not pronounced George it's pronounced Jorge, Hor-ge, Hoooooooooor-ge... and it just annoyed me to no end... once you change the G to a J it becomes the Spanish pronunciation of the name George hence it becomes Jorge(Hor-ge), it's like calling Pedro Peter despite it being spelled Pedro... *end pointless rage*

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
MONSTERheart said:
HT_Black said:
Ignoring one of the major components of the game is not a great way to review it. Just saying.
Fair enough.

It seemed apparent to me from the beginning of the review that a respectable amount of your opinion on this game was influenced on your mostly negative opinion of the others. Most of your review seemed to have a negative bias against whatever you were talking about. If you didn't like the game, fine; just make sure you didn't like it just because you didn't like the others.

While I do agree with some of the points you make, namely those relating to the weak plot/characters/etc, I found most of your review to consist of strawman-esque arguments and pre-dispositions rather than a neutral take on the game without such a heavy emphasis on the context like it should.
...No, I'm sorry, I don't see it. From what I'm looking at-- and I'm pretty sure we're looking at the same review here--I usally compared Reach favorably to other titles; and I say right there in the opening that I liked 3 and ODST. Also, since you mentioned it, I'd just like to clarify that I actually did like the game...kind of. You know, in a decidedly uninvolved and disinterested way. It was just there, and that's a conclusion I reached going in devoid of any expectations whatsoever.

(And for the record, the only Strawman here is Carter, if you don't mind me saying.)

koops

Mar 17, 2009
The invasion mode is good fun and it has one of the best endings I've ever played. Also with armour abilities, today i armour locked when a banshee tried to splatter me. It was insanely awesome, I bet the guy threw his controller on the ground.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
i absolutly love Halo Reach, but i disagree with the part about the Noble team's accents. Idk but i not think Jun sounded Slavic, nor Emile Australian, nor Jorge Hungarian. Im not quite sure what kind of accent Jun has, I thought Jorge was Australian, but i could be wrong because when he spoke there was usually guns or explosions or music in the background. I also thought Emile had an American accent but who knows. Oh and im 18, a christian, and only slightly douchey

oh and about forgeworld, i dont know how i feel about it, its big, but a lot of it is water.

MONSTERheart

Aug 17, 2009
HT_Black said:
What I meant is that you already have a negative view of the Halo franchise, and as such that is affecting your opinion of Reach (at least, that's the impression I got). I don't really feel like drawing this out in any way, which I'm sure you can agree to.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
bak00777 said:
i absolutly love Halo Reach, but i disagree with the part about the Noble team's accents. Idk but i not think Jun sounded Slavic, nor Emile Australian, nor Jorge Hungarian. Im not quite sure what kind of accent Jun has, I thought Jorge was Australian, but i could be wrong because when he spoke there was usually guns or explosions or music in the background. I also thought Emile had an American accent but who knows.
Okay first thing first: yes, Jorge is indeed Hungarian. That's what he's speaking near the beginning of the game, which makes since because according to the EU Reach's inhabitants are mostly Hungarian. That's also why his name is spelled funny. Secondly, as far as I can tell, Jun is either East Russian or has a really bad French accent; voice actors can make it hard to tell some times, but the "Cold Sniper" archtype usually means he's going to be of Slavic descent.

Thirdly, Emile was ambiguously Australian because he carried a Kukri (it's a funny-shaped hunting weapon, made popular by The Sniper its ease and effectiveness) and didn't have the exagerated laugh-a-thon accent characteristic of most non-english speakers in video games; rather, he sounded like the sterotypical Aborigine.

Also, and I just gotta ask: did anybody notice the tidal wave of HALO puns at the end there?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Judgement101 said:
Aren't reviews supposed to be, you know, unbiased?
Dude, what internet have you been surfing?!

HT_Black said:
(And for the record, the only Strawman here is Carter, if you don't mind me saying.)
You mean other than the "You're all 15-year old douchey atheists"? :p

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Judgement101 said:
No review is unbiased. It's physically impossible. You can try to be as unbiased and objective as you want, but at the end of the day, 'good' is a subjective term. It's why some people love the story and characters in The Dark Knight, while others hate it for those very reasons.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Alpha1089 said:
Judgement101 said:
No review is unbiased. It's physically impossible. You can try to be as unbiased and objective as you want, but at the end of the day, 'good' is a subjective term. It's why some people love the story and characters in The Dark Knight, while others hate it for those very reasons.
Actually whenever I do a review I tend to avoid subjects such as character likabiliy and my score is normally an average of IGN, GameInformer, and other sites scores. Doesn't mean it's not bias though.

nightowl195

Sep 15, 2010
This is a solid review. I liked that you mentioned how the single player doesn't feel like you're involved in a desperate struggle against all odds. I was realy hoping that this game would improve story-wise and at least have a few likeable characters or a few scenes that would inspire any kind of emotional response.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
MagicMouse said:
Halo Reach may not be super innovative, or creative...

But it is Solid in all aspects, and it tells a great story, and is POLISHED. It also has a GREAT multi-player that is heavily backed by Bungie.
When you write that it is polished, do you mean, among other things, it looks any better than ODST? I'm enjoying ODST, but, it is gen 7.1 graphics when compared to what they're doing on, for instance, COD4,5 and 6.