Halo: Reach Multiplayer Expands With New DLC

The Long Road

Sep 3, 2010
Daemascus said:
The Long Road said:
Wait... DLC already? Didn't the game launch just a month ago? If I'm correct, the usual philosophy is to add some DLC to the mix just before the shipped maps begin to stagnate. I love DLC maps, provided they're released 9-12 months later than the release of the game itself. Now Bungie and Microsoft are saying "well, the game's shipped, time to start churning out maps for $10 a pop".

I vaguely remember hearing something along these lines when the first batch of Halo 3 maps were announced: "We want to make so many DLC maps that you'll forget which ones the game shipped with." If that happens for Reach, we could end up either paying a large portion of the purchase price of the disk for maps that could and should have been shipped with the game. This is the first time that Bungie has truly angered me with their DLC.
9-12 months? That seems a little long...
Also I have never gottten why people complain aboout DLC. If you dont like it when they do it DONT BY IT. That more than anything will get the companys to change it if enough people particepate. Complaing on the net will get nothing changed.
I'm not going to buy it for that exact reason. Likely as not these maps were made at the same time as the rest, but somebody put them aside to charge $10 a pop for a download. That is a LOT of money for just 3 maps. In fact, it's 1/6 of the purchase price of the game. When you look at it that way, for $10, they should give us either more than just 3 maps or include a mini-campaign or something. Considering the actual cost of making 3 maps, $10 a download is absolute highway robbery. I did not expect this from a company that claims to love its fan base.

However, now that the maps are coming out, I'm excluded from all DLC playlists and any playlists on Matchmaking that require those maps. It verges on a $10 "keep the same level of quality" charge rather than a complete addition.