Halo Reach Perfect 10! WTF?

Michael Logan

Oct 19, 2008
Everytime a review gives a game a perfect score like 10/10 I just cant take the review seriously anymore. Because to me there cant be a perfect game.

Im fine with 9/10 even 9,9/10 but not a perfect score.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
DarkEvilWorm said:
Zhukov said:
Yeah... well, it's Halo. People are gonna go nuts over it regardless of its quality.

Hell, some reviewers were giving Halo 3 perfect scores.
Exactly. The next Halo could just be a dog chasing his tail and pooping every hour, and it would still get ridiculously high scores!
hell, it could release nuclear fallout in to the reviewers face and would still get a 10/10 score...

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Thunderhorse31 said:
This isn't exactly going to somehow change my mind about the game, but the fact that you can say flat out the story is sub-par and still call it perfect does not compute.

Hur hur, you can't spell "ignorance" without...
I see what you did thar! And it made me lol. Please for the love of Cthulhu reviewers, remember that 5/10 is an average, 8 or 9/10 is a great game with a few problems, like the game you just described!

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Team Fortress 2 doesn't have a story and yet lots of reviewers gave it a perfect score.

Story is not important in a game that is 90% multiplayer. Honestly after Halo 1, all of the stories felt tacked-on compared to the gargantuan multiplayer suites of the Halo games.

Do I think Reach is perfect? Hell no. There's a reason I switched to the CoD series after being a Halo fanboy for six years. There's also a reason I'm not going to buy Reach, namely how shitty the beta was and how much I hate armor abilities and reticule bloom. But if you look at it strictly from a multiplayer standpoint, it's hard to argue that Halo isn't among the best, even if it isn't for everyone.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I never usually listen to game critics as I normally watch gameplay videos and trailers to get an idea of a game myself.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I've said it before, I'll say it again; if it's a triple-A, blockbuster title, no reviewer that doesn't want to be accused of trolling for hits is going to give it a review that is in any way negative. No major franchise is exempt from this. Just look at FFXIII, God of War 3, Assassin's Creed 2 and Pokemon: HeartGold/SoulSilver.

That said, I'm sure Reach is an excellent game. I seriously doubt it's completely flawless, but everything I've heard and seen so far indicates that multiplayer is going to be fun on a bun.

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
Snarky Username said:
You can't simultaneously call a game perfect and say it has a bad story. THAT IS NOT LOGICAL!

Flawless is not perfect. Sometimes flaws help enchance the experience (e.g. Star Trek the original series). Though sometimes they just make stuff suck. Can't say what the case is in Halo Reach without playing it.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
It's a perfect 10 in the eyes of the reviewer. Truly, that is all we can say. Judge it for yourself before you start ranting and raving over someone's opinion which is only slightly more important than the average person's because s/he's paid to articulate it. Calm down.

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
instantbenz said:
erm isn't ign owned by m$?
Really!?

OT:I'm not surprised here, everyone knows how biased IGN is. Giantbomb gave the game a 4/5 and I'm more inclined to believe them.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
John Funk said:
Having just beat the campaign, it's easily the best campaign (and the best-told story) of the Halo franchise. Make of that what you will.
I make that you're teasing us like Gearbox is about porting Halo Reach to the PC.

I like that.

OT: Someone already made the "ignnorance pun already? Good.

If it's perfect it has no major flaw, and if what the reviewer says is true, it is not perfect. You can not redeem a bad story unless it's not there.

Calumon: That's the cruellest thing you can do to an artist. : (

Bwown

Jun 22, 2010
The Halo series is just like the GTA series and the MGS series, any of it's games just gets a perfect score just for existing. BTW GTA and MGS are great, just not perfect.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
John Funk said:
it's functional
that has always been my biggest problem with the Halo games. The story is functional, it rarely rises above and beyond and only really serves to lead us to more enemies to kill...

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
I never care about the number and always just listen/read specific points the reviewer talks about. One of the reasons I have no interest in picking up the recently released Metroid: Other M. Despite the site I trust for reviews giving it a decent enough rating there were certain aspects mentioned within the review that said to me "this game will not be enjoyable".

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Belladonnah said:
Snarky Username said:
You can't simultaneously call a game perfect and say it has a bad story. THAT IS NOT LOGICAL!

Exactly this. There have been several Halo: Reach reviews that mentioned mediocre story and single player mode, extremely crappy AI and cheater AI with unlimited ammo spamming bullets at you and when you kill they only drop half a clipper, and then they still give it 10/10. Consistency please.
Interesting. I've read many reviews with complaints about the story. Which reviews give the other complaints you have listed?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Oh well, they thought that it was good, big whoop.
I guess Reach was good, and the fact that the reviewer thought it was good made him give it a 10.
Reviewers shouldn't really piss people off as much as they seem to.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
A review site well know for liking Halo give Halo a good score, which causes outrage in a community?
Shocker.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
Snarky Username said:

Totally unrelated, but where is that little clip from. Is it a movie, or a tv show or something. I saw it in the comments of a screwattack video recently and somewhere else as well. If you know, can you tell me what it is from. Cheers.

back on topic: i really don't see this as being that big of a deal. This isn't the first time something like this has happened and it certainly won't be the last. I am a lover of decent story in games, but I still enjoy Halo despite this. Why? because it is fun. Or at least I find it fun, as do all of my friends. The real problem here is that review sites such as IGN, and many others as well mind, give scores at all. Ignore the score and read the actual review, I have always considered the two to be seperate entities anyway as there is no way of summing up a complex opinion numerically, reviewers are far too liberal and generous with points anyway.

To anyone who doesn't want to read my text wall, I'll sum it up in big words below:

[HEADING=2]Who gives a shit? Read review. Ignore Score.[/HEADING]

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
lol I've always been weary of IGN and Gamespot, since they've both always been a little biased towards the 360.

Case in point, Castle Crashers was recently released for the PS3. Despite having all features of the original and more (new minigames and stuff) they gave it a lesser score than it's 360 counterpart.
Namely they complained about it being overly long, despite it being the same as the original, and being too hectic with four players, again, just like the original. The only gripe they added was that the PS3 volleyball mode was lousy, despite complaining about not enough stuff to do on the 360 version.
Forgive me for my ignorance, but I don't really see any valid arguments.

I've always been fine with games being rated better on one system over the other, IF they have good reasons for being rated so, such as having a choppier frame-rate on one over the other, or having some other problems, like gimped controls or annoying glitches. I've always thought that both IGN and Gamespot are more biased towards the Xbox 360, so I'm not surprised with this review to be honest. If it were for PS3, they'd have given it a 9 or something. XD

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Sacman said:
John Funk said:
it's functional
that has always been my biggest problem with the Halo games. The story is functional, it rarely rises above and beyond and only really serves to lead us to more enemies to kill...
..Like every other FPS in gaming history?

Halo may not deliver it's story as effectively as it can through the game, and more through the novels, but if you actually pay attention half the time to the content of the game beyond shooting aliens, you tend to surprise yourself at the depth that is there. Everything has it's flaws, but it's rather childish to simply dismiss a game based on a few story/combat overlaps.