Halo: Reach "The Armory" a bit...pointless?

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Does anyone else think that The Armory function on Halo: Reach is a bit pointless. Have you ever charged up to kill someone and then think "Oh, he was the grenadier helmet, cool" no, you think "I'm totally going to kill this guy!"

Before you say it's to make you feel more attached to your character, everything looks very similar and unless you know your ODSTs from your CQCs then you may have issues even identifying the shoulder parts.

Basically: What do you think of the Armory feature.

Sep 14, 2009
its a harmless feature that helps put a bit of replay value in and its fun for alot of people, i dont mind it too much, might get the blue shades soon as i've been racking up some credits lately

i dont think its something to complain about, it helps give people motive to do the challenges so they can get some credits and buy more stuff in there.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I like the armory, and I like the fact that my character looks completely different from everyone else's (well, not completely, but I've yet to see anyone who has the same armor as me). It's a nice little touch that adds a little more to your online identity. You have your own unique gamertag, and your own unique spartan.

Does it serve any kind of purpose in game? Not really (except allowing me to shoot people with flaming heads easier because they suck at hiding), but it's like any character creation system, unnecessary, but fun nonetheless.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
its a harmless feature that helps put a bit of replay value in and its fun for alot of people, i dont mind it too much, might get the blue shades soon as i've been racking up some credits lately

i dont think its something to complain about, it helps give people motive to do the challenges so they can get some credits and buy more stuff in there.
It's not that I'm complaining about it but it seems like Bungie is using it to appeal to those tireless obsessives.....wait.....Well played Bungie, well played.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Judgement101 said:
gmaverick019 said:

It's not that I'm complaining about it but it seems like Bungie is using it to appeal to those tireless obsessives.....wait.....Well played Bungie, well played.
It's like the gun camos in MW2. Do they do anything? No, but people still seem to want them anyway, because they want to stand out a bit.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
AjimboB said:
Judgement101 said:
gmaverick019 said:

It's like the gun camos in MW2. Do they do anything? No, but people still seem to want them anyway, because they want to stand out a bit.
Thats a bit debatable (not much though) that people want a sand colored gun in a sandy map. But those ones like "Bright Red Sparkle Camo" you have me there.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I do think it doesn't necessarily add enough uniqueness to the character models, I think it succeeds on some level. Bungie wanted a carrot on a stick like the progression systems in other online FPS, but they very smartly wanted to do it in a way that wasn't going to be punishing to newcomers.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
I like the armory.

It makes me look different than the army of 10,000 morons who are all wearing Recon.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Judgement101 said:
AjimboB said:
Judgement101 said:
gmaverick019 said:

Thats a bit debatable (not much though) that people want a sand colored gun in a sandy map. But those ones like "Bright Red Sparkle Camo" you have me there.
Yes, because a desert camo gun is going to help you blend in on the desert maps, especially when you're running around with a red turban on your head.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
AjimboB said:
Judgement101 said:
AjimboB said:
Judgement101 said:
gmaverick019 said:

Yes, because a desert camo gun is going to help you blend in on the desert maps, especially when you're running around with a red turban on your head.
Maybe when you die your gun will blend in enough so that way the guy who killed you won't find it? That's a bit of a strech isn't it.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
I'd go as far as saying Halo: Reach is pointless. But I'm just bitter because of that glitched Hear Me Beg cheevo. :mad:

Delta 3 Actual

Feb 6, 2009
Judgement101 said:
Does anyone else think that The Armory function on Halo: Reach is a bit pointless. Have you ever charged up to kill someone and then think "Oh, he was the grenadier helmet, cool" no, you think "I'm totally going to kill this guy!"

Before you say it's to make you feel more attached to your character, everything looks very similar and unless you know your ODSTs from your CQCs then you may have issues even identifying the shoulder parts.

You do know that there's an insane amount of armor options in "The Armory" that Bungie plans to release in the near future right?

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Delta 3 Actual said:
Judgement101 said:

You do know that there's an insane amount of armor options in "The Armory" that Bungie plans to release in the near future right?
I'm sorry but I think I missed what you are getting at. I know they plan to do so but that doesn't add to its usefullness.

Apr 28, 2008
I like it. Its a nice little feature, and doesn't negatively impact anything.

I love it, I love unlocking things, and I find it to be an absolute joy.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I like it for what it added to campaign cutscenes, but it's value in multiplayer is dubious at best. I rarely have a chance to tell what someone is wearing anyhow so they might as well just be wearing the default Halo 2 armor truth be told.

Delta 3 Actual

Feb 6, 2009
Judgement101 said:
Delta 3 Actual said:
Judgement101 said:

I'm sorry but I think I missed what you are getting at. I know they plan to do so but that doesn't add to its usefullness.
The point of it is to give players something to work towards to keep them playing, and eventually download DLCs, it also lets players feel like individuals despite the fact that there are 10 times more players than armor configurations.

Benmonkey7

Jun 15, 2010
I think it's cool. Character customization is a neat feature that doesn't hurt anything and gives people the sense of accomplishment when they grind for enough credits to buy a new helmet or a new firefight voice or something. Does it make you feel closer to your character? Some, maybe, but most probably wouldn't think so. But that's not the point of it. It's point is to give people a sense of accomplishment to level up and buy some new armor.