Hand to hand Combat in an MMO

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
So I know the new game Age of Wushu is just coming out, and it is supposed to have pretty good hand to hand combat. But in what other MMOs have you guys found yourselves enjoying hand to hand combat?

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Damn, I'm definitely no MMO veteran but uh....none?
MMO's typically don't have the most interesting combat in the world when it comes to straight up hitting stuff, as in clicking on a guy and waiting for your character to whack them to death.

Though there are games like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Not an MMO and not an RPG, though its pretty massive (32v32 max I think) and the melee combat is insanely detailed.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
MorganL4 said:
So I know the new game Age of Wushu is just coming out, and it is supposed to have pretty good hand to hand combat. But in what other MMOs have you guys found yourselves enjoying hand to hand combat?
How do you define "good" hand to hand combat, as opposed to either "bad" hand to hand combat or other armed combat?

I enjoyed playing a Monk in EQ, which is similar in melee skill as a Ranger, but also had Feign Death (to drop aggro) and Mend (instant self heal).

Also, I enjoyed playing a Monk in DDO, which was about building combos for finishing moves that acted like spells and had Wholeness of Body (channeled self heal).

So, it wasn't the fact that the Monk class was fighting unarmed in either game that made it appealing to me, rather it was their other abilities, such as self healing.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Speaking of Age of Wushu, if anyone wants a closed beta key, send me a PM. Only Americans can use it though.

On topic: For hand-to-hand combat to be good in an MMO, developers have to put the focus on it. Age of Wushu is about martial arts, so the focus is on hand-to-hand. You don't need an MMO's to see how that works. Just look at Sleeping Dogs and Jade Empire. Also Rockstar's Bully is a solid example of hand-to-hand being the prioritized combat mechanic.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Speaking of Age of Wushu, if anyone wants a closed beta key, send me a PM. Only Americans can use it though.

On topic: For hand-to-hand combat to be good in an MMO, developers have to put the focus on it. Age of Wushu is about martial arts, so the focus is on hand-to-hand. You don't need an MMO's to see how that works. Just look at Sleeping Dogs and Jade Empire. Also Rockstar's Bully is a solid example of hand-to-hand being the prioritized combat mechanic.
Since you are offering, I would really like that beta key. :)

If it is still on offer, thank you, if not... It was a nice gesture all the same.

madwarper said:
How do you define "good" hand to hand combat, as opposed to either "bad" hand to hand combat or other armed combat?

I enjoyed playing a Monk in EQ, which is similar in melee skill as a Ranger, but also had Feign Death (to drop aggro) and Mend (instant self heal).

Also, I enjoyed playing a Monk in DDO, which was about building combos for finishing moves that acted like spells and had Wholeness of Body (channeled self heal).

So, it wasn't the fact that the Monk class was fighting unarmed in either game that made it appealing to me, rather it was their other abilities, such as self healing.
I define it as simply being an enjoyable combat mechanic.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Do the brawl and martial arts styles in DC Universe Online count?
I was never impressed with brawl (probably 'cos I didn't like tanking in that game), but martial arts (due to an extremely fast block-break ranged attack that was difficult to react to) kicked ass in pvp.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Adam Jensen said:

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait what? Age of Wushu is still in Closed Beta? Are you sure, because I've been able to play all week and I don't have a key, nor have I used one. Or have I just discovered an awesome bug?