Hands-Off Review of Natal

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
So far all the Natal demos I've video of make me think that if Microsoft wants this to succeed, they're really going to have to tighten up the response time and accuracy of the system. Most of the demos show a noticeable lag time between motion of the player and motion of the avatar, and a significant amount of variability in how accurately the motions are transferred.

I also have significant doubts about the facial expression recognition package that they're promising.

But I suppose we'll see, in the long run.

Personally, I'd predict that Natal will have a wide range of capabilities, none of which work quite well enough to really appeal to serious gamers, but should enthrall those who like flailing around in front of their TV in a semi-social setting. Like the Wii, without the extra bits.

On the flip side, the Arc looks to be able to be significantly more accurate and responsive in what it allows you to do in-game, but will have a much more limited range of applications.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
I own a PS3, but am looking forward to seeing what Natal can/will really do...

If all that shows up are hyperactive minigames, then I'll be sorely disappointed. The posibilities for RTS and perhaps even RPG elements could be the start of some very intriguing gameplay.

RTS: "Hands-on" map and unit control, especially if linked with voice command capabilities, a'la Clancy's EndWar.

RPG: Sure, you could do the "virtual LARP" thing and have people flailing about in front of the tv, but I'd love to see a melding of traditional controller play and Natal gesture navigation. Something akin to the old photo manipulation from Westwood's old Bladerunner game or, more currently, perhaps something like Jayden's ARI interface in Heavy Rain.

The only other thing I could think of is the introduction of a "gun" controller for playing an RE clone... One hand used to direct movement with the other aiming and firing. (but then, this has been done to death on the Wii already, so it certainly wouldn't be groundbreaking, by any means.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
s69-5 said:
The equation which best fits my possible experience with something like Natal:
Tiny apartment + Natal = disastrous idea

exactly what i think from the first moment i've seen it. i have 5 feet top between my tv and my couch. the tv is on a low level table, to be at my eye height when i'm sitting on the couch. there,s no way that i can stand up in front of my tv and that natal will see my face...

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
When Natal was first announced, I was interested. And then something dawned on me:

I can see Natal spawning a whole load of shit games that use the motion-detection gimmick, much like what has happened with the Wii. If, when released, it comes with a sports game or anything like any of the things in the E3 trailer...then it's not going to be a must buy.

However, if it then becomes clear that good games can use Natal much more subtly than waving your arms around like a loon then it will definitey get my interest. I have hopes of being able to turn my head and having my character check out his peripheral vision - not changing his direction of movement, just making it possible to do what we do in real life: look in different directions as we walk without walking in that direction.

Natal needs to be an extension of the controller, rather than a replacement for one.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
I have hopes of being able to turn my head and having my character check out his peripheral vision - not changing his direction of movement, just making it possible to do what we do in real life: look in different directions as we walk without walking in that direction.
ehh, technically, if you turn your head, you're not looking at your tv anymore...

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
Im really looking forward to seeing Microsoft just admit they've failed, just to prove that humans run the company, and then to leave the motion thing to Nintendo.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
that sounds awesome, I would be down for physical exercise during my games. THough its not like it will be much of a problem.

through really how much will it be? because I can go for a run for free.

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
cathou said:
I have hopes of being able to turn my head and having my character check out his peripheral vision - not changing his direction of movement, just making it possible to do what we do in real life: look in different directions as we walk without walking in that direction.
ehh, technically, if you turn your head, you're not looking at your tv anymore...
Hush! :p

Keep your eyes on the screen, but turn your head - your character shifts his vision slightly. I guess a better example would be "leaning" from behind corners when you tilt your head to the side.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Steampunk Viking said:
I'm not holding my breathe until I've tried this out myself.
I wouldn't recommend holding your breath while trying something this physically exerting.

I can't see myself playing Street Fighter with this system, I'm fit yeah, but by the 3rd or fourth opponent I'd be toast. And I like my spine too much to even attempt Bayonetta with Natal.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I can pretty much safely say that I won't be buying Natal. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I prefer sitting in my spinny chair, sitting on 3 pillows (I'm short and the tv is both a flatscreen and elevated) and pressing buttons to standing and flailing various limbs around like someone who just lost control of their motor functions just to play a game.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
I really hope they do more subtle things with the Natal. I'm pretty certain that, like they did with the Wii, developers only going to go with the most obvious options and make only the most shallow of experiences. The Wii is starting to get off of that cycle, but it seems Microsoft has only begun.