Hands-On: Bulletstorm Demo (in 3D)

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Spoon E11 said:
JackandTom said:
I'm downloading it at the moment :D How come it's only got 4 stars on the Game Marketplace?
Hey brink has 4 stars on market place and no demo yet.

Anyway Its a barrel of fun. Cant wait for the full game, Then perhaps I will have 4 barrels of fun with that shotgun.
I actually cant wait for Brink, it looks so fucking good.

OT: I played Bulletstorm last night, I think its really fun, although at first takes a while to get used to the controls... the controls are quite similar to Gears of War except its in first person.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I've also had troubles with nut shots. Only did it once to attempt the 'mercy' kill, which is awesome by the way.

Loved the demo overall. Its short but trying to beat high-scores made it highly replayable.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Well, just finished the demo last night and have let my thoughts sprout. My only problem is the control scheme. Pressing X (I'm on PS3) to sprint is really dumb. (Also, when sprinting, why do I not auto vault over obstacles? I have to stop, then press X to vault over something, pretty flow breaking.) X should have been used to jump, that is all The crouch button should have been used for sliding while running. The main problem with pressing X to sprint is that you normally use the right stick to move the camera, when using X to sprint, you are forced to use the left stick to look around. Which is horribly confusing for the player.

Here's how the layout is, L2 to leash, R2 for special weapon attack, L1 ADS, R1 fire, Triangle to Cycle weapons, Square to reload, d-pad to select weapons as well, circle or right stick down to crouch or melee, based on personal preference. That's all well and good. Here's the bad choices: X to sprint, double tap X while running to slide. These one's should have been: left stick to sprint, X to jump while walking, Right stick/Circle to slide while running. See good controller layout design? Not that hard. Yes, this kind of layout I've mentioned is used in every other FPS, but it is used in every other FPS for a reason. It works well. Simply put, don't try to fix what isn't broken.

I'm sure that I'll get accustomed to the layout, but It is really stupid.

Anyway, in-game action. I was having sooooooo much damn fun. Just leashing an enemy towards me, kicking him away, leashing him back to me, Etc, etc, was unbelievably awesome. Plus, (And mega yay for this) your character has stupid amounts of health and can deal out so much pain that cover is completely pointless. I'm really looking forward to playing the full game.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Drummie666 said:
I had a similar problem with the control layout. It just seems cluttered. There is a lot going on that perhaps should've been re-worked. I don't think I even knew I had a whip-thingy until the second playthrough because I couldn't find it on the controller.

But it was still loads of fun.

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
keke... dicktitz.

I should feel ashamed for laughing at such a frat boy joke but it feels so right.

Too bad I don't have my Xbox with me... :( It sounds fun.

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
I actually didn't enjoy the demo, I found the controls a bit clunky and that there really wasn't that much variety within the level.. I know it was only a small section of the game but on the basis of the demo I'm probably not going to buy it, which is a shame as I was really looking forward to it..

Nateman742

Jul 21, 2009
I was going to say I'm disappointed by the use of points to unlock items rather than purely for leaderboard bragging, but on further consideration I don't know why that's not awesome. Killing enemies for money is always fun, and multipliers make it feel like a frantic, bloody cashgrab.

Big money! Big prizes! IIIII love it!

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
After playing The Crysis 2 Multiplayer demo, I was bored to the point of...something....metaphorical. Then I played the Bulletstorm demo, and hot damn was it fun. Seriously, Crysis 2, a game that's toted as a gorgeous game with awesome gameplay is shit (Multiplayer wise). They just copy-pasted MW2, gave it prettier textures, and added in the ability to become invisible, the ability to take 3 more bullets before dieing, see in thermal vision which doesn't do crap, and a "Futuristic" theme.

Bulletstorm, despite being on the inferior engine, looks much better IMO. It actually has color, for one thing. That and it's trying something new, what with the Tony Hawk + Old-School FPS gameplay. So Crysis 2 gets the shaft from me, while Bulletstorm will get a bundle of roses...which explode and launches it into a bed of spikes.

Voodoo Doll +100

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
The demo has officially given me my favorite pistol of all time, I mean really I enjoyed the demo sure the swearing is everywhere and the characters are cardboard cutouts but otherwise seems like an interesting enough game, also you get bonus points for killing people under the influence, I kid you not.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
I played the demo and it was heaps of fun, although I was wishing for faster default movement speed.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
No demo for PC, the one platform that needs demos the most.

My new theory on console ports is that if there is no demo for the PC, it's a poorly optimized piece of shit, with control issues, awful mouse acceleration and is plagued wacky graphical problems. If there is no demo, the company is likely trying to hide the game's and hopes to con people out of money before they can find out it's a garbge lazy port.

I hate you too, Epic.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Looks like fun :O Might have to go download that demo later.

As an aside though:

Listening to this, I got the impression that it could have been written by a Fox News sleeper agent, for how horribly (read: truthfully) it characterized the modern gaming landscape.

"Bulletstorm gleefully encourages that sort of experimentation, particularly in environmental kills. Say you yank an opponent towards you, but you don't notice you're standing next to exposed rebar, which impales him. Or you kick him into dangling power cords, electrocuting him. You can pull that supply cabinet on the ceiling open with a leash, dropping lethal hardware on your opponents, or you can activate one of the defunct now-sideways elevators to squash a group of unlucky enemies (try setting them on fire first for the point bonus)."

I mean I guess if you stop and think about it, it's not all that much worse than the culture of, say, a Jason Stathom movie.

But like...good GOD, when you just step back for a second o_O

That's serial-killer talk.

What is wrong with us?

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
I'm so gonna buy this game. At first I was a little bit worried that the game is going to get a bit boring after a few hours but the demo was just amazing.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I'm just hoping Epic and Cliffy can put something out nearly on par with UT again. This combo system sounds interesting, and the level design already had me hooked for this one.

bricklayerofd00m

May 17, 2010
I wonder if they are going to have a badass announcer narrating in which creative, brutal way people killed people in multiplayer, just like in the classic of the gory classics Blood, by Monolith.
You know, instead of having the boring "Player X [weapon_icon] Player Y" of the realistic military FPS's saying that somebody killed somebody, you could have something more saucy like Blood's multiplayer did, a quicklist:
Player X squashed Player Y.
Player X throttled Player Y.
Player X massacred Player Y.
Player X sliced Player Y.
Player X mutilated Player Y.
Player X smashed Player Y.
Player X creamed Player Y.
Player X splattered Player Y.
Player X disemboweled Player Y.
Player X sodomized Player Y.
Player X made mincemeat out of Player Y.
Player X gave Player Y anal madness/justice.
Player X hurt Player Y real bad.
Player X boned Player Y like a fish.
Player X ripped Player Y a new orifice.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I'm....a little dissapointed. It literally took me about 10 minutes (at most, probably more like 5) to complete the demo. Why the fuck is it so short? I mean, there's nothing wrong with the gameplay, but seriously....why the fuck is it so short?

its a Demo?

its not a free Game

May 5, 2010
JordanXlord said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I'm....a little dissapointed. It literally took me about 10 minutes (at most, probably more like 5) to complete the demo. Why the fuck is it so short? I mean, there's nothing wrong with the gameplay, but seriously....why the fuck is it so short?

its a Demo?

its not a free Game
Thanks, I know what a demo is. Most of them take longer then 10 minutes to complete.