Hands-On: DC Universe Online

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Harley is back to being a straight villain? Last that I was reading in the main DC universe she had sort of reformed. Of course it's been quite a while now since I've followed it too heavily. Simply got my attention because I would have thought that they would be breaking off from some more "recent" comics continuity.

At any rate it sounds interesting, and it's awesome that they seem to be taking the plans for a simultaneous console and PC release seriously. Usually that doesn't pan out.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, and waiting to see if there are any chunks of serious gameplay footage before I pre-order it though.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
monnes said:
Jimalcoatl said:
Although I have less than no interest in the DC Universe (Marvel fanboy), the trailer for this was bad ass and the demo sounds like it was really cool. I hope this game does well; not because I want to play it, but because if it succeeds hopefully the Marvel Universe will get a similar treatment
Marvel was about to get the same treatment, Champions online was originally Marvel online. Don't know why they didn't keep it that way though.
Actually, seeing how Champions Online turned out, maybe it was better that way. :)

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Mr. Grey said:
I keep seeing reasons to get it for the PS3, but the only one I can think of for the PC is the Batman figure that comes with the Collector's Edition. That and the comics that come along with it.

I can't resist the Batman figure! Forgive me...! I am a weak spineless man blob...

*sniff*

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Boss fight with Harley? Sold.

Is it wrong that I read that in the voice of Arleen Sorkin [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleen_Sorkin]?
Dude; it's wrong that you do not read it with her voice. Are you crazy? Are you nuts? She's the mother f*cking Harley Quinn!!*

*Yes; I did spoof that infamous Batman line.

sagacious

May 7, 2009
At the end, the Big Brainiac... Thing, kinda reminded me of the Zerg, cause it sorta looked like the brood lord. (I'll Admit I've been playing too much Starcraft 2)

OT: Looks cool, but Continuous universes are hard to take seriously, Luthor is supposed to be SO brilliant he doesn't even need to be on the same continent or have super powers to beat Superman, seeing him in a Mech suit slugging it out on the field strikes me as lazy writing.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
sagacious said:
At the end, the Big Brainiac... Thing, kinda reminded me of the Zerg, cause it sorta looked like the brood lord. (I'll Admit I've been playing too much Starcraft 2)

OT: Looks cool, but Continuous universes are hard to take seriously, Luthor is supposed to be SO brilliant he doesn't even need to be on the same continent or have super powers to beat Superman, seeing him in a Mech suit slugging it out on the field strikes me as lazy writing.
There's no such thing as too much SC2

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Kevin Conroy! I fucking love that guys Batman voice! But the one problem I have is that if i were to play this game I would probably want the Metahuman power style but i would really rather Batman be my mentor. Oh well I could probably still visit the cave every now and again.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
Boba Frag said:
Mr. Grey said:
I keep seeing reasons to get it for the PS3, but the only one I can think of for the PC is the Batman figure that comes with the Collector's Edition. That and the comics that come along with it.

I can't resist the Batman figure! Forgive me...! I am a weak spineless man blob...

*sniff*

Is it wrong that I read that in the voice of Arleen Sorkin [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleen_Sorkin]?
*slapslapslap*

Snap out of it, man!

You should be asking yourself why everyone isn't reading that in the voice of Arleen Sorkin!

Alternatively...

hahaha!

Take that hippy!! :p

Brilliant.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Sinclose said:
Well this looks like more fun than I thought it would. And I do want a proper fight against Harley...
Boba Frag said:
Mr. Grey said:

*sniff*

*slapslapslap*

Snap out of it, man!

You should be asking yourself why everyone isn't reading that in the voice of Arleen Sorkin!

Arleen.... Harleen... Harley... Creepy, just noticed that :p
Couldn't agree with you more!
One of my friends actually goes as Harley to costume parties, she had her boyfriend double up as her Mistah Jay, which he did a great job of actually.

Goes to show how influential the Animated Series was that they not only wrote her into the comics, but also gave her a comic line of her very own.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Jbird said:
Mr. Grey said:

*sniff*

Dude; it's wrong that you do not read it with her voice. Are you crazy? Are you nuts? She's the mother f*cking Harley Quinn!!*

*Yes; I did spoof that infamous Batman line.
I'm more off than insane. Or is my denial the proof that I am?

Yeah, I can agree with that point.

Fine, I made a mistake, okay? Wait, hold on.

How rude! Can't you see I'm having a conversation with that handsome man blob in the mirror?! ... the nerve of some people...

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
I think I had a fanboy-gasm when Black Adam yelled "SHAZAM!" to use the magic lighting as a weapon

anyways...now that I went and changed my pants...

just another reason I'm saving up for a PS3

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
No 360? ='( shame *sniffle*

And that is possibly the most badass trailer i have ever seen! By the way, who is the Giant Breasted Women o_O

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
This article has definitely piqued my interest, especially after having seen the Comic Con trailer. I particularly liked that you can tackle these adventures solo. I recently quit WoW. The biggest reason I did so was because I'm a huge fan of the mythology Blizzard created for Azeroth and wanted to experience those huge, epic storylines. Unfortunately they were all raids, and I could never do them either because A) I could never find a good enough guild who had enough players who could get together to do them and/or B) I wasn't geared enough. And since I couldn't participate and experience those stories to their conclusion, it no longer seemed worth it to continue playing. So it's refreshing to hear that in DCUO that I can take on these quests primarily solo and, while I can bring friends along, grouping isn't essential for success. Given that it's being developed on a console, which is geared more for solo play, as well as PC, that sounds logical.

But as a DC fan I'm especially looking forward to it. Hell, I might have both a hero AND a villain for my alt, as I'd love to rub elbows with Black Manta (hence my icon).

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Everytime I see the video and I see Luthor stabbing Superman,I can only imagine Lex saying something along the lines of "For the Emperor!" or "Die,xeno!".He looks so much like a space marine.