Hands On: Left 4 Dead 2

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Skrapt said:
15+ weapons
Left 4 Dead has more than 15 weapons?
I count 9, unless you include the "whacking" feature of the individual guns as a separate weapon.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Vanguard_Ex said:
Jordan Deam said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Jordan, from your short time playing, do you think this could have simply been done via DLC?
From what I've seen, this is a legitimate follow-up with enough new content to warrant an entirely new game. As much as I want to cry "sequel farming," it's definitely not the case here. But it does sort of make you wonder why Left 4 Dead was released in the state it was when the developer could have created a much more polished and feature-complete version with just another year.
Word has it that they released it because they were short on funding. But this is Valve we're talking about here, surely they, of all people, couldn't be short on cash? Maybe I'm just naive.
I can't imagine that's the case. Valve makes good money with Steam. Not only do they keep the retailer's cut on their titles, but they must be making a small amount off all the other titles as well. With the exception of MMO developers, few have that kind of constant stream of cash flowing in.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I am holding to the belief that we are in for many pleasant surprises come when we can play the game. I am looking forward to a smarter AI Director to continue trying to kick my ass, as well as whacking a few zombies with a frypan, and maybe even trying to take down the tank with one. (Silly I know, but what the hell? Just picturing it is enough for a grin: tank is beating down one survivor, with two others shooting at it, and the fourth on top whaling with a frypan.)
I guess it was only inevitable that there would be a desire to bring more out on the survivors. That's all right, a well made character always adds to the story. What set Left 4 Dead apart for me is it made for potential for fps/rpg, where you can make any of the four characters your own, make up their own stories. (I for one see Zoe having a crush on Francis, and anybody having different ideas, please share!)
Either case, I am eager to see this game, even with its sudden outbreak (get it?) this winter. It is a fun game, and getting something more like this so soon will keep me fresh on it for a long time.

Aegwadar

Apr 2, 2009
I really don't see what the big deal is... They are a bunch of very talented game designers, yes, they are a company out to make money! But, as for releasing this title within such a short time of the last, big deal... I think the work they do is worth the next $50 bucks I WILL pay for L4D2.

Now that the minor fanboy crap is out of the way... I am little concerned about how they will go about making the story more compelling. It is Valve and they are pretty good with story telling; Personally, I liked how the lack of a told story gave this sense of mystery and made killing the horde a cold, run-for-your-life killing spree... Could go horribly or wonderfully. Only November will tell.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
scarbunny said:
I’m pretty sure Ill be avoiding this game, it seriously takes the piss one of the few games I bought full price last year was left 4 dead, I loved it to start with but 4 maps can only keep you entertained for so long.
You paid full price for Left 4 Dead? Wow, you got ripped off. Most places sold it for around £20. I got it for £20, which is a fair price.

Anyway I want Left 4 Dead 2 a lot. There's a lot of new stuff actually, despite it being brought out so quickly.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
I'm annoyed by this in many ways.

I won't go over it all.

What I will go over is how terrible (can't emphasis this word enough) the new characters are. I don't care about how they look. I care about their personalities. They ALL have repulsive personalities. That's generally fine. Francis, my favorite character, has a repulsive personality. The problem is that there was charm to be had there. I.E. he was SO REPULSIVE (I hate stairs) that he was no longer repulsive.

At first I though I'd like the Redneck guy... but oh god the accent is too much. On top of that, he's an idiot. Not the "Hyuk hyuk!" kind of idiot, but more like the "WHIT END AF DIS 'ERE GUNN DIS I POINT?!"

When I heard him speak, I realized I had nothing in common with any of these characters.

Banana Phone

Jan 11, 2009
This will have to be an absolutely astounding piece of win to not be resented by gamers everywhere.

Mar 16, 2009
I'm just praying that powerups, melee weapons, and the like don't turn it into "generic FPS fragfest... feat. zombies."
I'm not that difficult to impress, but once I lose faith in something it is hard to gain it back, and so far I am having nightmares about black Zoey (whatever the new person's name is) running around with a chainsaw attached to an assault rifle.

Left 4 Dead is minimalistic in a lot of ways, and I appreciated that. Fewer bells and whistles allowed for more focus on actual strategy, and the way in which the world and characters were presented allowed for us to become attached to them with very little influence.
For over-the-top, varied deaths, we have Dead Rising (and a sequel, which will also include multiplayer). We don't need Francis defeating a tank with a teddy bear (though he would manage to do it in the most badass manner possible).

While I'm here, I just have to point out that the "Game of the Year" edition is being released the same year as the sequel. I don't know if they don't have faith in the franchise, I think they are just trying to milk it for all it's worth, and fast.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Jordan Deam said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Jordan, from your short time playing, do you think this could have simply been done via DLC?
From what I've seen, this is a legitimate follow-up with enough new content to warrant an entirely new game. As much as I want to cry "sequel farming," it's definitely not the case here. But it does sort of make you wonder why Left 4 Dead was released in the state it was when the developer could have created a much more polished and feature-complete version with just another year.
Hmmmm... thanks Jordan, I think you've put a few of my doubts to rest. I should really just trust Valve, they've never let me down before. I just I'm just a little annoyed that I've only just picked this game up, on the bright side, at least I didn't pay extra for the GOTY edition.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Fuck yes, melee weapons! It'll be like Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later for sure. =D

in_95

Jul 2, 2008
Wait for the modding community to release a reskin of l4d 2 characters in the current game.

Also maybe prempt valve and release melee, new enemies and daytime maps. Lets face it, this is not a true sequel, this is an expensive DLC.

Bunnymarn

Oct 8, 2008
ANTI-SANTA said:
Bunnymarn said:
I just hope that this game will 'last' more than a year before another sequel is put out, if they are going to be doing a third in the series.
Considering how much they emphasized the number four with the last game, there's probably going to be four games.
Four!?

Well, they better be spaced apart...

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
And I still don't see any real justification as to why L4D2 isn't being launched as an expansion pack. No way in hell am I buying it, besides, Killing Floor is vastly superior to L4D.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I could make a long angry post, or CP my fans honest letter to Valve. But Sad Hitler sums up my feeling so perfectly.

...[/youtube]

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Ive noticed the only reason people are cynical is becuase of the year-wait. Well, I think thats just ridiculous.

People are complaining non-stop Because valve have been working on a game for less than two years and are therefore whining. (HL2:Ep3)

You guys are acting like episode 2 was released twenty years ago, the way you are going on about waits. Besides, the reason that isnt out yet is becuase valve were doing L4D and L4D2.

SO just, well, calm down. I for one will buy this game - I find many games to be 'worth' ?40.

And I have complete faith in valves 1337ness.

HvD

Lord of Dragons
Apr 16, 2009
This looks like a Killing Floor ripoff. I WANT HL2 EP3 ALREDY!!!