Hands-On: The Elder Scrolls Online Sucked Me In Instantly

glak

Jun 12, 2013
seule said:
Greg Tito said:
One thing I noticed poking around the menus was a menu that said "Mods". Opening it up didn't show any mods installed, but there were buttons that seem to let you enable or disable mods for specific characters. Hopefully this means ESO will have mod support as robust as the single-player franchise. Fingers crossed - I think that kind of functionality would increase the game's popularity with fans sevenfold
I really wish I could believe this was the case. But with this being an MMO, that means a lot of stuff will probably be "off-limits" for modding, ie some of the changes to game world and stuff just couldn't happen in an MMO, you couldn't let your players mess around with armor values etc cause that would result in god-modes, let alone the myriad of NSFW addons that exist. I remain hopeful and yet very very skeptical, i mean, everyone said SWTOR was gonna be awesome, right?
You can change only the UI and add tools with mods in ESO.

Bonus answer: there won't be any dragons alive in ESO.

There were no cooldowns in Beta. Now there are in the E3 version? Please confirm?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Sixcess said:
Funny, I seem to recall on this very website that SWTOR 'proved' that.

C'mon. I know that the Escapist's readership mostly regards MMOs with about as much enthusiasm as it does Call of Duty, but do we really have to dredge this tired, out of date and inaccurate stereotype up every time you guys decide to enthuse about one?
This, I will buy it, and I will probably liked it. But after reading the article I can't find anything that hasn't been done before. Focus on the story? SWToR, need to really interact with the world? TSW, change of mechanics? GW2.

Why is this one different? Or is it not and just well polished?

As for the mods, why the freaking hell would you think that Greg? Mods in MMO have been very common and they always mean added UI and similar stuff. It's like seeing a /conf carpet in a regular game and assuming you can do confiteri there to unburden your sins; while physically possible is extremely unlikely.

Oct 2, 2012
Color me intrigued.
This seems to be shaping up much better than I expected, perhaps I don;t have to sacrifice my firstborn to appease the Game Gods after all.
I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Tanakh said:
As for the mods, why the freaking hell would you think that Greg? Mods in MMO have been very common and they always mean added UI and similar stuff. It's like seeing a /conf carpet in a regular game and assuming you can do confiteri there to unburden your sins; while physically possible is extremely unlikely.
If the mods in ESO can match WoW in possible complexity, I'd be happy. I don't actually like mods that change content, but if it can improve the user experience as much as WoW mods do, than I'm all for it. Sadly, not enough MMOs have embraced this and only let you move around UI elements.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Greg Tito said:
If the mods in ESO can match WoW in possible complexity, I'd be happy. I don't actually like mods that change content, but if it can improve the user experience as much as WoW mods do, than I'm all for it. Sadly, not enough MMOs have embraced this and only let you move around UI elements.
I would say about half of the MMOs embrace mods, only the ones hardcore to be "serious PvP" (whatever that means) ban it like GW2 and I guess the ones that lack development time.

But you are right, WoW modding API was pretty sick and after being spoiled by it have been missing it ever since.

I am also glad to see you this hyped for the game, though it makes me sooooo greeeen! Would offer my firstborn for a beta :p

*I should note that kids are not in my plans.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
In the active threads section to the right it read "The Elder Scrolls Online Sucked" due to shaving off the "Me in instantly" part.
Most misleading.