Hands-On: WWE: All-Stars

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hands-On: WWE: All-Stars

WWE superstars from past and present collide.

Read Full Article

Karilas

Jan 6, 2010
C'mon now HankMan, you know that's not fair, about 6 months ago Cena learned his fifth move....

The Vaguely Wiffed Dropkick?

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Never really understood why wrestling games were always so clunky compared to how fast and acrobatic half the WWE wrestlers actually are

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I've always wanted an actual WWE fighting game. Like, Street Fighter style with wrestlers, using their maneuvers in glorious over the top fashion. This seems like the closest I'll get, at least in the foreseeable future. I've had my eye on this for awhile. Now I'm looking forward to it even more.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
HankMan said:
keeping track of all your moves is hard when they're all stacked into multiple analog stick movements.
Aye, the old WWE games from PS2 I only knew the moveset of my created character and The Undertaker... But I suppose it did allow for more variety and such.
OT: I think I will pick this game up. I haven't played the last few installments of the Smackdown vs RAW games, but I used to have a lot of fun with '06 (or was it '07)?
Sounds like a little more polish has gone into this one, plus a better system for counters and whatnot, though I can't know for sure until I play it...
Either way, it sounds like this one is a little more unrealistic than the others, which may well make for even better times... And I did really like Rey Mysterio in that brief time I watched WWE...

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
Ah, wrestling; the more it changes, the more it stays the same. Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, The Rock, John Cena; every generation has its marquee name that is criticised for having a move set you can count on one hand, and in Warrior's case, with three fingers missing.

OT: This sounds like an intriguing direction for a wrestling game, but I think I'll wait to see which one of the big three fighters it copies. From the description it sounds like it plays similar to Tekken and if that is the case it will be asking for far more of a learning curve than a DoA button masher like me is willing to endure.

If it has the command list of a Capcom fighter then it can fuck right off.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I actually enjoy the WWE game on the 360.
Not because I enjoy the Wrestling shows (quite the opposite, it's just about as bad as Reality TV) but because of the surprisingly good Create-A-Character mode.

It's hilariously, almost surreal, to watch Barack Obama get TAFFARD'd (my term for a splash jump) by a pink stick of gum with blue hair antlers*.
Or for Rey Mysterio to go one on one with a cruiserweight half-dragon for the title (there are wings, horns, tail and claws. It's surprising).

So my question is: Does All-Stars have that mode? Or is it all just premade dudes?

*(why yes, you can stretch and distort the human figure into horribly twisted abominations AND color their skin in any flavor of the rainbow)