Hank Chien Sets New Donkey Kong World Record

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hank Chien Sets New Donkey Kong World Record

Hank Chien is the new King of Kong, racking up a score of more than one million points to reclaim the world record high score in the classic arcade machine Donkey Kong.

I don't really get why people keep banging away on 30-year-old stand-ups, and I say that as someone who spent a lot of time in the arcades of yore when those old machines were the new hotness. It was fun in 1982 but what's the point now? Can't we all just get along?

Not if you're one of the Donkey Kong elite, apparently. Hank Chien is the new big dog in the Donkey Kong pack, setting a mark of 1,068,000 points to surpass Steve Wiebe, who beat Billy Mitchell for the title in September 2010 after Mitchell claimed the title in July of that year from none other than Chien - who beat the previous mark set by Mitchell in February. It's definitely a club with a pretty select membership.

Chien set the new record in his second attempt of the day, with a time of two hours and 45 minutes. He said he hadn't played much Donkey Kong in the months leading up to the record-setting effort but was motivated to get himself back into game form by the upcoming "Kong Off" being put together by Mitchell and Richie Knucklez, which will be attended by Chien, Mitchell, Wiebe and other top players.

"I know it will only be a matter of time before Steve Wiebe, Billy Mitchell or another competitor beats my score," Chien told Twin Galaxies [http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=27&id=2343]. "I don't think I will hold the title forever, but it is fun to see 'how high can you get?'"

Richie Knucklez "Kong Off," a "no excuses, put-up-or-shut-up event," will take place over March 19 and 20. Check out thekongoff.com [http://thekongoff.com/] for details!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
What?, again?, I still don't get what's the appeal of breaking insanely high scores on a 30 year old arcade that's not even fun anymore.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
What?, again?, I still don't get what's the appeal of breaking insanely high scores on a 30 year old arcade that's not even fun anymore.
man i do. such drama! if you haven't watch the movie about this sometime. donkey kong is a brutal game.

side note, its a personal goal of mine to one day beat pacman.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I'd file it under: these guys found something they can get quasi-famous for, and don't want to have it taken away from them.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Is there some max score you can obtain eventually or can it just keep going up?

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I hope Wiebe takes the title back. He's more of the average joe kinda guy who should have it. Billy has become a bit too full of himself.. Granted I am basing that solely on the "King of Kong" documentary, so that may not be accurate.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I've watched king of kong twice because I find it genuinely entertaining to watch, but that Billie Mitchell guy creeps me right out.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
jp201 said:
Is there some max score you can obtain eventually or can it just keep going up?
The player automatically dies on level 22 (the "kill screen") so they're trying to squeeze as many points as they can out of the game before then.