Happiness is a Warm Controller

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sean Sands said:
Many a gamer have been asked this simple, yet slightly derisive question: "You still play videogames?" Sean Sands answers it.
Yea, I've been asked this question, but only by old people who's idea of a good time is laying prone in the sun, trying to get skin cancer. So I don't get offended even when the patronization is audible.

Say what you want about the wii but at least it's getting some of these old goats to shut up and try them.

I think it's because of the close association with the tv, a lot of people think it's another thing to do when you "vedge" in front of the tv. Of course, those of us that actually play, know that there's far more problem solving and strategy involved, even more now than back in the 80s.

confusingnoise

Nov 30, 2009
'Your research and arguments are as weak as your self-confidence, and they smell of piss'

I'm sorry but that article is quite possibly the worst article I have ever read on this website. Seriously Sean Sands? The reason you play games is this?

I. Because you want to.
II. Because you want to be different from the guys that bullied you at school (that for some reason you hang out with).

That is the best argument you could come up with for your gaming lifestyle? I re-read your poor excuse for an article several times in case I had absent mindedly missed something or not fully appreciated your writing style or slant.

Unfortunately my instincts were right.

You briefly touched on some real 'issues' regarding reasons for playing games. And by 'briefly touched' I feel I am being generous. What you did to the issues was like a group of women dancing provocatively around a pile of handbags in a night-club. Where the issues are the handbags and you are the women waiting for some guy to come and sweep you off your feet and carry you and the handbag (I mean issues) home (because they are far too heavy for your dainty hands).

If you wrote this as a school essay it might be excusable. But probably not.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
"You still play videogames?"
Yes, why not? There's just no way you could go outside and lead a bunch of brick-faced marines in power armor to distant places where you can chainsaw aliens.
Quoted for win ;D

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Frankly, I believe that anyone who claims to be having fun more than half the time hasn't given the question much thought or is outright lying.

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you on this point. If I'm not having fun, I stop playing. (When I'm playing "off duty," so to speak, and not for work.) I've turned down the difficulty level more than once so that I can simply enjoy myself without having to work at it so much. (Mass Effect, I'm looking at you. Your combat was...let's just say not good.)

If I can't adjust the game to fix whatever's making it not fun for me, I simply stop playing and move on to the next title. There are too many games out there to waste time bothering with something you're not enjoying.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Furburt said:
Why are gamers so ashamed of themselves? I mean, you don't see movie buffs being cross-examined about how they should 'grow up'. The average age of gamers in the UK is 34 for christs sake!
it's nothing to be ashamed of playing it if you're over 29.
OH WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?

That constant noise of politicians is what keeps gamers in the "pathetic nerd" or "murderous teen" camps, in the eyes of the older generations.

SpaceGhost2K

Jul 24, 2009
I hear the same thing when people find out I'm 43 and my favorite movies of all time are The Iron Giant, The Incredibles and WALL-E. "You still watch cartoons?"

I am secure enough in who I am to not give a rat's ass what they think about it.

Someone once asked Dweezil Zappa why his parents named him Dweezil. His response? "Why'd your parents name you 'Debbie?'"