Happy Birthday, Xbox!

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I find it very interesting to see something so bad as the original Xbox go to an amazing, massive competitor in the gaming market with the Xbox 360. Will they continue to do well? Maybe. Though I definitely wound't want to see Sony or Nintendo go away.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I remember when I first played an Xbox.....Halo 2 was my first game on it. I was about to buy one, then I learned the Xbox360 was coming out, so I saved up and waited and then I got it! I have yet to ever regret that decision.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
tautologico said:
The console wars are far older than the Xbox. Nintendo and Sega (and other smaller contenders) were at it in the previous 2 decades or so.
Yeh, we've being arguing about which console is better than the other since at least the 16-bit era. Though back then I recall ti being just silly bickering between friends about whether it was the Megadrive or SNES that had the better tie-in game to Disneys Aladdin movie (when the old Sonic/Mario debate wasn't being rolled out of course).

Thanks to the internet for the whole thing turning a bit nasty...:p

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Wow, so xbox is older than most of the players on live? Stunned

Oh yes, you read that correctly my overly sensitive brethren, come and get me :p

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Got one when they came out and fell in love pretty much immediately. Had some really great gaming experiences on that honkin' thing: KOTOR, Morrowind, Chronicles of Riddick, Arx Fatalis, Halo, Jade Empire, Psychonauts...good, good stuff.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I loved it ever since it came out and you wouldn't beleive it, but it RROD on me. Can you imagnie how pissed I was that I couldn't play Silent Hill 2 on Halloween?

utopaline

Jan 28, 2011
MarsProbe said:
tautologico said:
The console wars are far older than the Xbox. Nintendo and Sega (and other smaller contenders) were at it in the previous 2 decades or so.
Yeh, we've being arguing about which console is better than the other since at least the 16-bit era. Though back then I recall ti being just silly bickering between friends about whether it was the Megadrive or SNES that had the better tie-in game to Disneys Aladdin movie (when the old Sonic/Mario debate wasn't being rolled out of course).

The console was is WAY older then that. i remember arguing about Atari 2600 and Coleco Vision with my friends. (holy crap I'm old)

uto

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I bought my original xbox because the gamecube was something I had matured out of and it offered plenty of great games (third party, what a concept!). I certainly played the hell out of Morrowind, miserable load times and all, and it was the best time I've ever had with a video game.

One thing that I wish the 360 learned from its predecessor is that hard drives are NOT optional! At least, they shouldn't have been anyway [small]and when foresight is concerned, they should've been bigger than 20 gigs...[/small]

Regardless, those were some good times. *positive sigh*
wooty said:
Wow, so xbox is older than most of the players on live? Stunned

Oh yes, you read that correctly my overly sensitive brethren, come and get me :p
The only people offended are currently begging their moms to drive them to you first. ;)

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
tautologico said:
Baldr said:
I love the story on how Xbox came about. Like most things in gaming, it was all Sony to blame. Bill Gates went to Sony to try and sell tools for the Playstation platform. It was during that meeting that Gates learned Sony wanted a dominate entertainment system that could rival the PC. Microsoft didn't want to sit by and let that happen. (Sony turned them down)
And do you know how Sony got into videogames? It's Nintendo's fault. The story goes that Nintendo partnered with Sony to create a CD-ROM addon to the Super Nintendo, to compete with the Sega CD. The thing didn't proceed (I heard Nintendo called it off), so Sony thought they could do this, they didn't need Nintendo... so the Playstation was born.

(I don't know how accurate this story is, but I think it's something along these lines).
...and that SNES Add-on was to be named the Nintendo Play Station. Note the space.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
MarsProbe said:
tautologico said:

It was always a bit nasty, back then it was the gaming media that helped fuel the fights of Sonic vs Mario and back then nobody had both so everyone had to choose, unlike today when many people have all 3 consoles.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Strangely enough, the Halo series was the reason I bought a 360; I guess that game still draws new customers to Microsoft. Unfortunately, that means they'll never let it die.

Still, happy birthday, xbox! I love playing you, but I'm glad I didn't start when I was 8!

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
I never got the xbox, cause i got to test it at a friends house... and although it had superior modability i didnt see anything i wanted that i didnt already have on my pc or ps2.

Halo i got for PC later and was pretty disappointed after all the years Bungie had hyped it only to not deliver on my expectations.

Add in the clunky controller and it was safe to say that if i had been a couple of years younger it would have caused me to become a sony fanboy.

Nowadays i own a 360 just cause it was on an offer... it wouldnt have seen much use if not for the media center which i think is much better than Sony.