Happy Singles Awareness day.

Madcat75

May 7, 2010
Here are my thoughts on "Valentines Day"

1) I don't see why couples should get a special holiday while single people get nothing except to feel like shit.

2) shouldn't you show the person you are with you love them 365 days a year instead of just 1.

3) it is basically a holiday invented to force people to buy stupid junk because they are guilted into it by believing if they don't then they don't love their partner.

Dec 14, 2009
Sure is bitter in here...

1) Yeah, it would be great if singles had their own celebration, they could share it with their...

Oh...

Nevermind.

2) Kind of a moot point, I imagine most partners love eachother all year round and show that in various ways, having a day for it doesn't take away from those other days.

3) What you call stupid junk, I call an incentive to buy my girlfriend something nice. Presents are never a bad thing, and both sides appreciate the thoughtfulness that goes into those gifts.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
1) Is Valentines day really that upsetting if you're single? I think the last time I was single Valentines day just kind of came and went and I didn't even realise what day it was until a couple days after when the chocolate was selling really cheap.

2) Well, yeah. But I enjoy having a special day, it can remind you to do more romantic things if you've been busy with other things in life. Plus chocolate.

3) Yeah but that's for people in their individual relationships to decide. Yesterday I saw an advert for a bunch of roses for £25 and I told my boyfriend if he ever wasted £25 on something that was just gonna die in like three days I'd be irritated. Better spent on video games. Or chocolate.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Jesus man, ease up on the salt.

It just makes you come across as painfully jealous. While I can sympathize, there's no really need to begrudge the happiness of others.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
When did Valentine's Day become a "I'm single so I'm just going to ***** all day"...uh...day?

It's anecdotal and maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see but I have noticed a huge up-tick in singles complaining about Valentines Day rather than couples celebrating it. Hell, most couples I see that make a big deal of Valentines Day are one of two people...

The "We're hanging by a freaking thread" couple.
-He's been sleeping on the couch for the past two months and she hasn't gone to bed without a glass of wine in over a year.
-Have been together for what seems like forever but the magic died forever and a day ago.
Common Sayings on Facebook: Him: "I love you this much" Her: "Well I love you t h i s much!" Him: Well I love you T H I S much!". Continue for about ten different.

or

The "We're so in love! No one else understands us!
-Virtually guaranteed to be under the age of 21 (it is technically possible for them to be above this age but it is a rare sighting)
-Needs to constantly remind each other how much they love each other and that no one else truly understands love like they do
Common Sayings on Facebook: Him: "OMG! I cant believe its alreadi R 3 week annaversary!" Her: "No one gets love like we do! I cant beleeve its been 7 days since i met him. XOXOXOXOXO"

Really the only reason I understand a single not liking Valentines Day is there is going to be THAT guy/gal or who says "Why don't you have a boy/girlfriend? But those people are going to exist whether it's Valentines Day or not...

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I just love that "Singles Awareness Day" can be summarised as SAD. I have Valentine's Day to thank for that.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011

=looks at bank account=

=looks at all the free time I have=

=looks at the ratio of happy, long-lasting relationships to miserable, unhealthy ones and how lopsided it is=

=Considers how I don't have to stress out about making sure everything is perfect for somebody else today and just do what I want=

=considers how incredibly unstressful my life has been in general=

=remembers how cheap all that awesome candy will be tomorrow=

Happy Single's Freedom Day!

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
So bitter. Yeah V Day is just some commercial shit, but it still makes my girlfriend happy when she receives a gift. She'd be happy with a gift on any day I suppose, but her mother is very proper and if my girlfriend's response to mother's 'What did he get you?' was 'Nothing', I would not be in her good books. ^^

No reason to be mad at being single though. I felt lonely while single as often as I feel smothered while partnered; we're just not built to be happy 100% of the time. Blaming singularity(?) for that isn't gonna help; enjoy the freedoms you're given and regret not what isn't.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I'm going to do ALL the singles clichés on Valentine's day.

I'm going to eat lots of chocolate, drink lots of wine and sing "All by myself"?while crying in the shower. (Actually, let's not do that).

Also this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZceJsRL8eI&spfreload=10

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
TakerFoxx said:

=looks at bank account=

=looks at the ratio of happy, long-lasting relationships to miserable, unhealthy ones and how lopsided it is=

=Considers how I don't have to stress out about making sure everything is perfect for somebody else today and just do what I want=

Yeah, pretty much all of the above. I spent the entire day playing MTG with my awesome (and quite expensive) deck and generally having a good time with my friends. I wouldn't be able to do any of that if I'd been in one of these awful relationship things. I particularly like points 1, 2 and 5, but I never did consider point 6 until now. Mmmm, cheap chocolate.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Madcat75 said:
1) I don't see why couples should get a special holiday while single people get nothing except to feel like shit.
Do you feel the same about Mother's Day for people without a supporting Mother figure?
What about Father's Day for people without a support Father figure?
Heaven forbid someone grow up adopted by a single caretaker or in a family of single sexed partners.

What about Family Day for people who have cut ties or have been outed by their biological family for reasons?

Madcat75 said:
2) shouldn't you show the person you are with you love them 365 days a year instead of just 1.
The spirit of the holiday despite being a marketing tool is to lend special attention to the one you love. Not to simply show your love 1 day out of the year out of obligation. It's nice to say that you should treat every day so special but this is reality...we simply don't have the time/income/desire to go out on dates or plan special evenings every single day of the year.

Madcat75 said:
Here are my thoughts on "Valentines Day"3) it is basically a holiday invented to force people to buy stupid junk because they are guilted into it by believing if they don't then.....
You realize this point applies to every holiday right?

If you don't give into the expectations that go along with Valentines, Thanksgiving, Birthdays, Halloweeen, Christmas, etc then you've failed to meet social, corporate, and traditional expectations.

My Opinion about this whole thing....
I'm in my mid-30s and have been single every single Valentines Day save one. I'm comfortable being single and have never felt 'bad' or let the existence of this holiday (or others) get to me in any way.

If it bothers someone that they are single than I would hope that they are taking steps to improve their situation. Either by self examination to understand if being in a relationship is truly what they want/need or by taking steps to put themselves out there and find someone.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I personally think it is an idiotic day. Now it doesn't make all single people miserable, but it certainly has the effect on me. I'm rather sensitive about my complete lack of a love life at the best of times, but Valentine's Day and the short lead up to it just increases the pressure. I already know that I'm alone, and the world does a good job of constantly reminding me of that at all other times, so the last thing I need is a week or so every year where "high and mighty" happy couples and people who don't mind being single get to take a big shit all over myself and people like me. If it were my choice I would be an asexual that doesn't need close human companionship, but that was a choice I was never given. I am who I am and I don't need people to judge, or joke at my expense. Something that Valentine's Day really seems to drudge up among people.

Also, the whole concept of requiring someone to go out and spend lots of money on their significant other due to corporate-induced guilt bothers me deeply on an entirely different level. That all being said, I know lots of people like today and I would never go out of my way to try and change that. My close friend was really excited that her new boyfriend made special plans for today, and I expressed my support and happiness for her. I just quietly withdraw today, maybe make a little anonymous rant on a random internet forum to let off some steam. :p

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Im single and i cant say it bothers me much , used to piss me off when i was in the restaurant business but thats just because its stupid busy day.

i was trying to find actual stats on if it really is a particularly high suicide rate day , didn't find anything one way or the other , but i did discover that the day after valentines day and the day after mothers day are by far (like orders of 100's in magnitude) the most common days for women to sign up to dating sites!

for a (in my experience) HUGE section its a chance for their significant other to truly demonstrate just how much they understand and love them and getting that wrong..... "you really thought id like this?" thats the sound of a relationship ending ;)

personally i think its a bit crass , i mean its a story of religious intolerance zealotry and murdering people. not really good fodder for a holiday imo , but hey its from the same nation that has the bald face gall to celebrate thanks giving unironically.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
All the single peeps be like "Nooo it huuurts" ... All the couple peeps be like "why so bitter, man? be happy!"

I be like "Am i a person? Am i even human? Or real? OOOh wine!!! ...i still need to complete Portal 2!"

CAPTCHA: NEST EGG - Umm yeah, there you go! All is answered. Thank me/the captcha later.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
zumbledum said:
i was trying to find actual stats on if it really is a particularly high suicide rate day , didn't find anything one way or the other , but i did discover that the day after valentines day and the day after mothers day are by far (like orders of 100's in magnitude) the most common days for women to sign up to dating sites!
I was actually curious about that as well, this was the only thing I could find:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/health/2015/02/12/valentines-day-sees-rise-in-suicidal-calls/23321773/

However, it simply says that suicide hotlines get more calls on Valentine's day than normal, but it doesn't say how many actually go through with it.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
TakerFoxx said:

=looks at bank account=

That's exactly how I view my life too being single. I plan on celebrating being single and going to a nice restaurant later with a book.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well there's only one response I can give to single people like me on this day:

That Michiru at 00:59. The perfection is real. The Tomoko representation is nice but expected since she's /a/'s collective waifu.

Yeah I tried having a girlfriend once, it just shocked me into realising how badly I didn't even need one. I just thought I wanted a girlfriend because everyone else wants one (peer pressure can be scary sometimes) but i've never been the intimate type. Seriously I spent a few hours with her then the very first thought to run through my head after was "That was a waste of time, I could have finished that anime by now"

Abort relationship. Not worth.

Does anyone remember that guy in I think China or Korea who jumped off a three story ledge in a packed shopping centre to get away from his girlfriend's incessant nagging while out shopping and died? That's another thing, they can be dangerous to your physical health. Women can be scary sometimes, even if they are terrible at stabbing things.

[sub][sub]It's a joke Katawa Shoujo reference, calm your tits potential feminists who may be reading[/sub][/sub]