HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY!

Ask

Feb 27, 2010
Well, as the title states, I hope everybody is doing something fun for St.Patrick's Day! I've been playing Majora's Mask 3D and have been really enjoying it. How about you guys, what are you all up to for your celebrations? I know that I'm gonna make some mashed potatoes, steamed cabbage and (what else) have all the drinks! Also, I did this with my buddies at MickNinjas (St. Patrick's day is kinda their thing, lol).

So yeah, what is everybody doing?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I am currently hiding at home from the swarms of tourists in green felt hats.

So many green felt hats.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I don't know much about this day, but I do have something green.

Happy Green Day!
Err, I mean Lá fhéile Pádraig sona duit!

And while it is still just 6:49 AM here, this is my day off. Therefore I will be having a tiny drinky drink.

mrdeclandeadly

Feb 24, 2015
Colour Scientist said:

So many green felt hats.

Americans, Americans everywhere, avoiding town like it's infested with plague rats.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I'm working double shifts today, tomorrow, and Thursday because the morning person wanted to go out and celebrate. Presumably in a green felt hat.

I wore a green shirt today, though. Yay? As someone who doesn't drink, it's kinda hard to get too excited about this one. I'll be excited for my next paycheck, though. That's some green I always look forward to.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Greeting from Ireland. I'll be avoiding town like the plague today. I was out last night, and it was an absolute clusterfuck. Tourists are a great thing, but I can't handle that many of them in such concentration.
Christ I'm hungover. Didn't even go to mass today.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Happy Popular-Conceptions-Irish-Culture Day!

As an Irish-descended American who has visited the Dublin area and fell in love with the country, I've long felt a kinship with anything Irish-related, even if the American holiday seemingly has very little to do with Irish culture in any meaningful sense.

Wolf In A Bear Suit said:
Greeting from Ireland. I'll be avoiding town like the plague today. I was out last night, and it was an absolute clusterfuck. Tourists are a great thing, but I can't handle that many of them in such concentration.
Salutations to you as well.

If you don't mind my asking, how is the holiday celebrated in Ireland? Is it mostly the tourists celebrating? This American was there in early September and wasn't surrounded by other tourists. I was just taking in the regular Dublin experience, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
I am going to drink later with my Irish friend after classes today. Dude took tomorrow off so he can be hungover. Imma take away the keys to his car so that he doesnt drive. Friends don't let other friends drink and drive. It will be awesome.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
remnant_phoenix said:

As an Irish-descended American who has visited the Dublin area and fell in love with the country, I've long felt a kinship with anything Irish-related, even if the American holiday seemingly has very little to do with Irish culture in any meaningful sense.

If you don't mind my asking, how is the holiday celebrated in Ireland? Is it mostly the tourists celebrating? This American was there in early September and wasn't surrounded by other tourists. I was just taking in the regular Dublin experience, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Sure look, it's a mixed bag really, and it's great for the country. Events like the parade, various festivals and cultural events are usually really well attended by both tourists and locals during the day. You sure do notice a really high concentration of North American tourists for sure, which is great to see in my opinion. I love seeing Irish Americans who make the effort to get in touch with their roots. Beyond that, it gets really messy at nightime. Like really messy. I'm sure you're familiar with Temple Bar which is maninly frequented by tourists on Paddy's day because it's wildly overpriced. It's an excuse for literally everybody, Irish or otherwise to go and get shitfaced, which is fair enough, but I try to avoid it because it can go Wild West pretty fast.
I'd atually be really interested to hear why it is that Paddy's day is so popular abroad. I understand that America's East Coast in particular has a massive Irish diaspora, but I still don't really get the hype.
Glad to hear you enjoyed Dublin so much. If you haven't seen it before, and do decide to come back, definately take the time to go West into Connemara. My favourite place in the world by far.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Saint Patrick's Day is fun and I'm an Irish person living in Ireland. Although so far I've been spending it playing Icewind Dale and not doing that college work I should really do.

I might do something in keeping with the holiday later like watch The Wind That Shakes the Barley.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
remnant_phoenix said:

I'd atually be really interested to hear why it is that Paddy's day is so popular abroad. I understand that America's East Coast in particular has a massive Irish diaspora, but I still don't really get the hype.
Glad to hear you enjoyed Dublin so much. If you haven't seen it before, and do decide to come back, definately take the time to go West into Connemara. My favourite place in the world by far.
If your country has a fun cultural event where you can get shit faced, we want in pretty much. Same goes with Octoberfest (German) and Cinco De Mayo (Mexican). Also helps if we have a large population of that ethnicity.

Hell, Cinco De Mayo is a bigger deal in the US than in Mexico (which celebrates Mexicans forces defeating the more powerful French in a certain battle which took place that day. The US actually had nothing to do with the event). It is common for Americans to take one day and turn it into a "celebrate X culture" day. Christopher Columbus day is big with the italian americans for example, even though it really has nothing to do with them or their culture. Martin Luther King day is kinda another, although neither of those events do people get trashed.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
remnant_phoenix said:

Sure look, it's a mixed bag really, and it's great for the country. Events like the parade, various festivals and cultural events are usually really well attended by both tourists and locals during the day. You sure do notice a really high concentration of North American tourists for sure, which is great to see in my opinion. I love seeing Irish Americans who make the effort to get in touch with their roots. Beyond that, it gets really messy at nightime. Like really messy. I'm sure you're familiar with Temple Bar which is maninly frequented by tourists on Paddy's day because it's wildly overpriced. It's an excuse for literally everybody, Irish or otherwise to go and get shitfaced, which is fair enough, but I try to avoid it because it can go Wild West pretty fast.
Well I can't speak for the U.S. as a whole, but my current state of residence, Louisiana, will find any reason to have a parade and get drunk. The St. Patrick's Day celebrations, especially in south Louisiana where I live, are basically Mardi Gras with a St. Patrick's Day skin: big parade where beads are thrown and a ton of people are drinking, only instead of Mardi Gras colors and themes, there is green as far as the eye can see. For some of the parade crews, it's obvious that they are throwing their leftover Mardi Gras stuff.

When I was a kid in Texas, it was more on the tier of April Fool's Day: no major celebrations, just quirky rituals, i.e. "on April Fool's Day, you attempt play practical jokes on people and cry 'April Fool's' when they fall for it" and "on St. Patrick's Day, you have to wear green or people have the right to pinch you and the elementary schools do some token Irish culture/history activity on that day." Almost no one (in any place I've lived) knows anything about St. Patrick himself, and teaching that story doesn't fly in a public school; because of the religious overtones, the ACLU would be up their butt so fast. The day is less "St. Patrick's Day" and more "Irish Culture Day," even if the understanding of Irish culture that is explored is shallow and trite.

Like you said, the New England areas that have a strong concentration of Irish diaspora have major celebrations. It seems the rest of the country is happy to synthesize the general, surface, iconic trappings of the day (the color green, shamrocks, leprechauns, Irish stereotypes about alcohol, etc.) however they see fit.

Also, something I've always found strange is that no matter where you are, if you see brightly-colored theme calenders, each month has some sort of iconic decor. Halloween stuff on October, Thanksgiving stuff on November, Christmas stuff on December, snowflakes on January (even in the southern region that almost never sees snow), hearts (for St. Valentine's Day) on February, and...drum roll...shamrocks (and possibly leprechauns) on March. I find it strange because of all the month-theme holidays, St. Patrick's receives very little emphasis compared to the others; on the other hand, this is easily explained by noting that the day isn't as easy to commercialize than the rest.

Ask

Feb 27, 2010
I grew up in an Irish household and I always looked forward to this holiday. When I still lived closer to the rest of my family we'd get together and turn the whole thing into a ren-fair. Not even kidding, we'd set up archery, dagger throwing, the works. I remember when I realized that most people don't run around swinging swords on St. Patrick's day (when I started going to school 'cause my teacher wouldn't allow me to bring a fake sword to class. lol.) I was very confused. Of course, when we all sat down to eat my mom would always tell us about the history accompanying the holiday. (Which we all looked forward to, being a bunch of kids who loved stories be they stories about true events or fantastical stories) She'd then start delving into our own history as a family so it kept us close.

Our celebrations are more tame now that we're all far apart, as such, I like to do things that remind me of those days. Mashed potatoes and steamed cabbage was just what we ate and everybody having a celebratory drink together was just par for the course (Unless you were under age, in which case you had some variant of soda with grenadine). All in all, I only have good memories of St. Patrick's day so, I like to have fun and share fun.

mrdeclandeadly

Feb 24, 2015
Ryotknife said:
If your country has a fun cultural event where you can get shit faced, we want in pretty much. Same goes with Octoberfest (German) and Cinco De Mayo (Mexican). Also helps if we have a large population of that ethnicity.
Well traditionally for Paddy's day would have a big feast and lots of alcohol, because it was allowed for people to partake in what they were supposed to give up for lent. So getting shit faced has always been part of it, and who doesn't love a good excuse to get locked.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
There's some St Patty day shenanigans going on in World of Tanks. Other than that, I'm not really celebrating. Can't afford to go out for a pint. <.<

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Redlin5 said:
There's some St Patty day shenanigans going on in World of Tanks. Other than that, I'm not really celebrating. Can't afford to go out for a pint. <.<
I shall drink a pint and think of you, dear Redlin.

OT: I'll put lime in it, because that's green and complements Carlsberg nicely and Carlsberg cans are also green. This seems to fit with what I've seen of St Patrick's Day celebrations...come to think of it, I have no idea how people here traditionally celebrate St George's, Andrew's or David's Day. I can only hope that some form of pancake is involved.

Dec 10, 2012
Colour Scientist said:

So many green felt hats.
mrdeclandeadly said:
Americans, Americans everywhere, avoiding town like it's infested with plague rats.
Hehe. One of my extremely American friends went to Dublin with her mother 2 days ago to 'celebrate' St. Paddy's. Her Facebook is full of festive green hats and absurdly crowded bars. Yes, she is part of the problem.

I for one quit my restaurant job recently and spent the afternoon working my last shift, and then celebrating the dual occasion with a frosty mug, paid for by my manager. Good day.

mrdeclandeadly

Feb 24, 2015
TheVampwizimp said:
Hehe. One of my extremely American friends went to Dublin with her mother 2 days ago to 'celebrate' St. Paddy's. Her Facebook is full of festive green hats and absurdly crowded bars. Yes, she is part of the problem.

I for one quit my restaurant job recently and spent the afternoon working my last shift, and then celebrating the dual occasion with a frosty mug, paid for by my manager. Good day.
Ha, I'm just taking the piss lad, it's all in good fun. We really need that tourism money. I'm just glad that I don't work in a pub.

Celebrating with a drink somebody else has paid for is the proper way to celebrate all right.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Let's see...

1. St. Patrick's Day
2. Irish ancestors
3. Doesn't drink

A quiet night in for me, lads.