Happy 'Straya Day, Aussies!

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
I walked home from my local club at 1 am and saw stoned men in undies throwing empty beer bottles at roughly fifteen year old children. I fucking hate patriotism in any way shape or form. People don't even know what this day celebrates.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
Daystar Clarion said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Hmmm, sounds like a bad idea to me. Don't want to start giving the colonials any ideas now, do we?
Fuck off, you're not even properly girt by sea.
We aren't?

Britian is an island nation.
'Cept for it's not a nation... unless you mean the UK, in which case you're going to have to get some proper girting done between Northern Ireland and Eire.
Ahh, but Great Britain, is girt by sea.

Because it's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

OT: The last bit should say "Put on my good bonds chesty." not shirt.

I'm pretty sure I cracked a rib on 'straya Day. How Aussie is that??

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
StBishop said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Daystar Clarion said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Hmmm, sounds like a bad idea to me. Don't want to start giving the colonials any ideas now, do we?
Fuck off, you're not even properly girt by sea.
We aren't?

Britian is an island nation.
'Cept for it's not a nation... unless you mean the UK, in which case you're going to have to get some proper girting done between Northern Ireland and Eire.
Ahh, but Great Britain, is girt by sea.

Because it's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
*sighs* Great Britain is not a nation. The UK is a nation and the land border between Northern Ireland and Eire means the UK is not properly girt by sea. That's like claiming Indonesia is girt by sea when it shares land borders with Malaysia, PNG and East Timor. Land borders cancel proper girting. Have a land border? Then you're not properly girt by sea. That is how it is.

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland = Not Girt
Great Britain = Girt
UK = Not Girt

Thing is, Great Britian is not a nation... It's the name of an island, the one that the poms, taffs and jocks all share.

See, it's easy when you think about it.

If you did it falling out the back of a ute while it was doing doughies on a footy oval, very Aussie.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
If you did it falling out the back of a ute while it was doing doughies on a footy oval, very Aussie.
Nah, jumping in to a pool. I was slam dunking into a basketball hoop set up on the edge of the pool and I sort of kept going after the dunk. My chest collided with the edge of the pool and there was a cracking sound accompanied by a popping sound.

It hurts still; I think I'll go to the hospital tomorrow when they're less busy.

Little2Raph

Aug 27, 2011
I pissed meself laughing when I saw this! It's funny 'cause it's true. . .

Seriously though, I was born in Australia, as were my parents and grandparents and all that (I'm about as Anglo as they come), and I don't mind people taking some pride in their country, but it seems that lately (within the last ten years or so) Australia Day (and yeah, Anzac Day too) seems to have become an excuse for ignorant Skips to act like dickheads in the name of "patriotism". In fact, if you get right down to it there's not a whole lot of difference between those inbred hicks dressed in flags and those jackbooted morons that lived in Germany seventy years ago. . .in fact I reckon Australia even has its own version of a swastika - the Eureka Stockade flag. Seriously, you see these dickheads with one stuck on the back of their ute, or tatooed on their arm, or even flying in their front yard and it's a pretty safe bet they're nothing but ignorant, racist, neo-fascist swine. . .

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me. It's my problem, I'll deal with it. . .

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
The best aspect of Australia Day is Triple J's Hottest 100. Too bad Gotye was a deadset certainty to win.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Little2Raph said:
In fact, if you get right down to it there's not a whole lot of difference between those inbred hicks dressed in flags and those jackbooted morons that lived in Germany seventy years ago.
The Germans had organisational skills for a start. Better dress sense, too... Hugo Boss designed uniforms Vs flags worn as capes like kids pretending to be superheroes.

in fact I reckon Australia even has its own version of a swastika - the Eureka Stockade flag. Seriously, you see these dickheads with one stuck on the back of their ute, or tatooed on their arm, or even flying in their front yard and it's a pretty safe bet they're nothing but ignorant, racist, neo-fascist swine. . .
Or they're a hardcore Trade Unionist... Unions have had call on the Eureka flag pretty much since day one with the full blessing of the Lalor clan, something the racist fuckjobs can't claim.

Fatboy_41

Jan 16, 2012
Little2Raph said:
(and yeah, Anzac Day too)
I distinctly remember my corporal telling me about a Dawn Service he was a part of in Darwin a few years ago. A group of bloke decided they would try to run through and grab the flag that was on display. The catafalque party guard commander gave the order to fix bayonets in the middle of the service. Needless to say, no one tried anything after that.

The point being, you mess with our ANZAC day, we will fuck you up.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Little2Raph said:
Iin fact I reckon Australia even has its own version of a swastika - the Eureka Stockade flag. Seriously, you see these dickheads with one stuck on the back of their ute, or tatooed on their arm, or even flying in their front yard and it's a pretty safe bet they're nothing but ignorant, racist, neo-fascist swine. . .
The Aussie Swazie, it's called...mind you, apparently that only became a big thing fairly recently, and since it was on the flag, a number of people got it done when it was much more respectable.

I want to know, though, do New Zealand bogans have a thing for the Southern Cross? Likewise, what do bogans equivalents of the other nations whose flags have that tattoo themselves with, I guess.

Fatboy_41 said:
I wish. Fucking rock concert on Gallipoli battefields...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
thaluikhain said:
Fatboy_41 said:
I wish. Fucking rock concert on Gallipoli battefields...
The Turkish government has been FARRRR from impressed with the behaviour of Aussie 'pilgrims' over the past 10-15 years... and they've got a point (several, actually).

I mean, seriously, when the Turkish government has to hire extra groundskeepers to clean vomit from Australian war graves after ANZAC Day, they have every right to ask "Who are these fucking animals who desecrate their own fallen soldiers' graves?" and restrict access.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Fatboy_41 said:
I distinctly remember my corporal telling me about a Dawn Service he was a part of in Darwin a few years ago. A group of bloke decided they would try to run through and grab the flag that was on display. The catafalque party guard commander gave the order to fix bayonets in the middle of the service. Needless to say, no one tried anything after that.
Some idiot hippies tried to do that to a Battalion's Colours during an ANZAC Day march in Townsville in 80s... Needless to say, the Colour Guard NCO had the lads fix bayonets.

Oddly enough he was also the same dick who stole the display version of the HMAS Tobruk's ships bell (which is as important to a ship's company as an army unit's colours banner).

Little2Raph

Aug 27, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
clean vomit from Australian war graves[/i] after ANZAC Day, they have every right to ask "Who are these fucking animals who desecrate their own fallen soldiers' graves?" and restrict access.
This is kind of what I was getting at by including Anzac day - I respect the day itself, just not ignorant Skips who use it as an excuse to behave like morons and give the rest of us Australians a bad reputation. My grandad actually served with the 39th militia battalion on the Kokoda track and I think it's kind of sad that so many sacrificed so much so that decades later mobs of spoiled brats have the freedom to act like total fucktards in their name.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Little2Raph said:
This is kind of what I was getting at by including Anzac day - I respect the day itself, just not ignorant Skips who use it as an excuse to behave like morons and give the rest of us Australians a bad reputation. My grandad actually served with the 39th militia battalion on the Kokoda track and I think it's kind of sad that so many sacrificed so much so that decades later mobs of spoiled brats have the freedom to act like total fucktards in their name.
My great-grandfather was a Light Horseman, served at Gallipoli (day 2 reinforcement) and in the Palestine campaign (including winning a medal at the Battle of Ber Sheba) and if he was around today to see how these fuckjobs were behaving on ANZAC Day he'd grab an axe handle and beat a few of them to death. Hell, he'd probably set a few on fire for daring to wear the flag as an item of clothing.

The behaviour of the moronic fucks on ANZAC Day, to me, shows we've lost connection with our own history. If they understood our history, if they respected the sacrifaces made, they wouldn't act like a bunch of braindead cunts on ANZAC Day.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The wankers that think the Turkish forces were defeated or that nobody apart from the ANZACs were involved are bad enough, but there are some that don't know that New Zealanders were involved in the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.

WTF?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
thaluikhain said:
The wankers that think the Turkish forces were defeated or that nobody apart from the ANZACs were involved are bad enough, but there are some that don't know that New Zealanders were involved in the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.
There are worse still - the ones who not only think that but also have this really strange idea that all the Aussie troopers were True Blue, Dinky Di, born and bred Aussies... which is hilarious if you think of the demographics of Australia at the time.

A significant percentage of the Australian troops were migrants... with British migrants being the most numerous, especially senior NCOs and the officer corps (many had previous military experience with the British Army). There were also a fair number of migrants from other European nations, who often anglicised their names or picked entirely new ones to avoid a lot of questions when enlisting (my great-grandfather, a German migrant, anglicised his name). Hell, Australia's top sniper in World War One was either a chinese immigrant or the son of chinese immigrants... I forget which.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
There are worse still - the ones who not only think that but also have this really strange idea that all the Aussie troopers were True Blue, Dinky Di, born and bred Aussies... which is hilarious if you think of the demographics of Australia at the time.
Argh, yes, not everyone was a fucking identical "larrikin"!

RhombusHatesYou said:
A significant percentage of the Australian troops were migrants... with British migrants being the most numerous, especially senior NCOs and the officer corps (many had previous military experience with the British Army). There were also a fair number of migrants from other European nations, who often anglicised their names or picked entirely new ones to avoid a lot of questions when enlisting (my great-grandfather, a German migrant, anglicised his name). Hell, Australia's top sniper in World War One was either a chinese immigrant or the son of chinese immigrants... I forget which.
Billy Sing, yeah, his dad was Chinese. They made a movie or TV series about him, and made his dad Anglo, saying they couldn't find any Chinese actors for a one scene bit part.

Also, Simpson was born in the UK, though his exploits are somewhat exagerated.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
The behaviour of the moronic fucks on ANZAC Day, to me, shows we've lost connection with our own history. If they understood our history, if they respected the sacrifaces made, they wouldn't act like a bunch of braindead cunts on ANZAC Day.
Our own history?

Having first-hand experience with teenagers at school I can tell you that isn't just our history, but just history in general. History class last year was a real eye-opener at just how ignorant some people are of history, with one kid in the class who thought Hitler was a "Cold War general".

Also, during our camp to Portsea we went past the area where Harold Holt disappeared and I was the only one in the group who even knew who that was.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Our own history?

Having first-hand experience with teenagers at school I can tell you that isn't just our history, but just history in general. History class last year was a real eye-opener at just how ignorant some people are of history, with one kid in the class who thought Hitler was a "Cold War general".

Also, during our camp to Portsea we went past the area where Harold Holt disappeared and I was the only one in the group who even knew who that was.
The "ANZAC legend" is drummed into kids every year at school, and repeated to the nation at large every ANZAC day and various other times.

Holt is just another PM, one of many. Hitler...yeah, no argument there, WTF?

Though, the mythologising of ANZAC day probably explains why few people know many of the details behind it.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
thaluikhain said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Argh, yes, not everyone was a fucking identical "larrikin"!
My great-grandfather wasn't a larrikin... he was your typical large, reserved Prussian farmer and also the AIF's boxing champion. The only time his reserve broke was when there was violence in the offering.

RhombusHatesYou said:
Billy Sing, yeah, his dad was Chinese. They made a movie or TV series about him, and made his dad Anglo, saying they couldn't find any Chinese actors for a one scene bit part.
How could they not find a Chinese actor? Was there a seasonal shortage or something?

Also, Simpson was born in the UK, though his exploits are somewhat exagerated.
Enh... still, he dragged and carried wounded to treatment stations... exagerated or not, well done that man... and that donkey.