Hardcore Gamers are the new Hipsters

n01d34

Aug 16, 2008
The analogy is interesting but I'm not totally convinced. Hardcore gamers are still very much the core of the market, sure there are many more casual gamers than core but the core buy a lot more games. This will probably change but for the moment hardcore gamers haven't quiet developed that outsider status that hipsters try so hard for.

I am reminded of this video though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617lGZjYyNo&feature=player_embedded

I think there may be a growing number of gaming hipsters I just think they probably don't
fit neatly into the traditional hardcore gamer demographic.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
I'd never made that connection, since hipsters are prevalent on my campus here, whilst the gamers usually hide over in the computer major quad, but there are definitely some parallels. Some people seem to be drawn to anything associated with elitism. Hardcore gaming and hipsters are excellent examples of elitists. They reject mainstream ideals and appeal, often for the soul reason that most others do. I'll be the first to admit that popularity doesn't equate to quality, but often times there's a reason everyone does something.
Oh and you know else was elitist?

Nazis.

Damn it Godwin.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Really good comparison, and really well thought out. Good job L.B., you made my respect for my own Wii even lower (seriously, thank you. I might actually get around to selling it instead of waiting, and waiting, for more good games to come out)

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
the growth of casual games is understandable, as why create a hardcore game which requires state of the art graphics and a huge budget and can still get bad sales when you can merely create a small game with minimum production times and values which has just a high a chance of success?

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
A Hardcore gamer is anyone that plays games for a long period of time in one session. It can be CounterStrike or Wii Fit, as long as they devote themselves to the game they are hardcore.
The group you are thinking of are retro gamers. They are the NMA and Old Wizard crowd that no one likes because if a game is modern it must be terrible. Why is this so hard for everyone to figure out?

IsoNeko

Oct 6, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Yeah, but does there have to be anything wrong with that?
I'm not really a hardcore gamer, I guess, but I don't see why games should have to be dumbed down more and more.
Well, the stupider and easier you make them, the more people who can play them, so the logic goes. As a gamer we all have a lot of skills at playing games we've developed over time that most people are too intimidated to develop.
Think Halo 3.

You can play it casually. You can play it using nothing but the standard Assault Rifle, and people won't question it. However, if you expect to throw down with the big boys, who use nothing but Battle Rifles and Sniper Rifles. Then you've got another thing coming. Just like a game of Othello, a short time to learn, a lifetime to master.

Or for you PC nerds who rage at the mere mention of Halo because "It's not innovative" and it "sucks bawls" and "It's not created by Valve or Blizzard so therefore it sucks".

Think TF2.

You can play it casually. You can play it using nothing but the Heavy or Soldier, and people won't question it. However if you expect to throw down with the big boys, who perfectly time their ubers master ever headshot and blend in like a true spy. Then you've got another thing coming. Just like a game of World of Warcraft, a short time to learn, a lifetime wasted.

twistedshadows

Apr 26, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
twistedshadows said:
This is pretty much where I'm at, too.

I hate being defined as a word; every individual is a complex, unique being. How on earth can anyone be defined as one thing when everyone has different likes, dislikes, experiences, and viewpoints? Even those who have similar interests can be inherently different in other areas of their lives.

I'll do something because I enjoy doing it, not because I want people to think of me a certain way. If the general consensus agrees that the things I enjoy are something to be ashamed of (or if they are considered nerdy, geeky, or any of the other label I've ever been stuck with) - fuck that, I'm not going to change who I am for the sake of other people.
Exactly. I mean, my avatar is occasionally the subject of mockery, but Green Day has made some good stuff. And Billie Joe Armstrong is goddamn attractive.
And anyway, if you spend all your time caring what people think, you will explode.
It's a fact.
I didn't even realize who your avatar was. I guess that shows how out of touch with popular media I am. >_>

Is that a fact? I'm surprised some of the people I know haven't exploded yet. I'll have to wait and watch for it to happen. Not too close, mind you; I don't want to be covered in human bits.

twistedshadows

Apr 26, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
It is indeed a fact.

And yeah, the normal response is "Oh hey is that that dude from Green Day?" or "I dunno who that is."
But occasionally you get "lol fag nice music."

Anyway, being covered in human bits isn't too bad.
You get used to it.
I don't think I've ever been called a fag for anything I've done, probably because everyone knows I'd do something horrendous to them if they did. I really dislike it when people use words like "fag," "retard," and other such offensive terms for things they don't like, understand, or agree with.

Have you been covered in human bits, then? Does it feel warm and jelly-like, as I'd imagine it would? It seems to me like it would be too messy to bother with. ^^

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
I personally hope more people accept gaming in their lives. My mom would chill out a lot more, and my sister would actually have something to talk to me about that I might find interesting.

Why is the fact that more people are playing games a bad thing? The only reason I'm against getting a Wii is because the only game I find appealing is Twilight Princess.

AND I LOVE PEGGLE!

Come to think of it, I used to get picked on by Hipsters......great, the memories are back.