Hardest Hitting Gaming Moments (spoilers)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Mass Effect 3: Mordin Dies Saving the Krogan.

The amount of emotion they packed into that one character's journey from genetically engineering a genocide, to regretting his choice, to giving his life to undo the damage he had done. The way the music plays as he moves across the burning control room, muttering to himself as he sets up the final parameters, even is able to make some final improvements (IIRC) to give the Krogan a better dispersal of the compound. "Ah, an error, glad it was me....someone else..might've gotten it wrong..." *content sigh, explosion* Just, fucking awesome. I actually prefer the dialogue when he doesn't do the modern major general at the end, but they are both good.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Darkness, The Darkness, a thousand times The Darkness. I've been in love about three times in my life; one of them was with Jenny from The Darkness. I still can't watch these scenes without getting the feels. Spoilers below, but the thread title shoulda warned you already.

Her apartment

Her death

The ending

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah that was a good one. The other one I like is when he's carrying Atreus to Freya, and he's pacing outside her door, just a regular, frantic dad with a sick child. "Open the door woman!" *pace pace pace* You can feel his helplessness in that moment. He has no way to deal with "someone is sick, and needs healing.....I don't do healing...I do the opposite of healing.....shit!"

Also, when he is explaining about how a warrior must be smart, and he's using the knife that he made for his son, gifting it to him since he lost his mother's blade. And he has a very profound moment, where you really see Atreus actually listening, and understanding what his father is trying to teach him. About using your mind, and not just a weapon in your hand. Just, so many good moments between them.
One of my favourite moments is near the start right after Atreus notes the protection stave around their house and how it's broken, because Kratos chopped down the marked trees at Faye's request. Atreus asks 'Why would she do that?', and then we hold for a good 6 seconds on Kratos just looking off into the distance. Just that moment of Kratos saying nothing, but you can tell by that look how his mind is just filled with questions and assumptions... I love it.

Another scene that I've really come to appreciate is the deer killing scene, where after Atreus kills the deer you see the camera pan out and then Kratos' face enters the frame. It highlights how this is Atreus' first intimate kill by focussing on him and how much it's affecting him in the moment, but then Kratos' withered, old face comes into frame as he's ended countless lives without even an ounce of mercy. And the contrast between them in that moment is incredibly sad, emphasized even more by Kratos attempting comfort his son and not knowing how, or not feeling like he deserves to comfort him.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Another scene that I've really come to appreciate is the deer killing scene, where after Atreus kills the deer you see the camera pan out and then Kratos' face enters the frame. It highlights how this is Atreus' first intimate kill by focussing on him and how much it's affecting him in the moment, but then Kratos' withered, old face comes into frame as he's ended countless lives without even an ounce of mercy. And the contrast between them in that moment is incredibly sad, emphasized even more by Kratos attempting comfort his son and not knowing how, or not feeling like he deserves to comfort him.
Yeah, though I think that scene is even more profound than you imply. Leading up to that scene, he's been nothing but gruff and grumpy to his son. But now that he is teaching him how to kill, you see this more nurturing side of Kratos emerging. And as they kneel next to the deer, and Atreus can't do it, the FIRST time Kratos touches his son, is to take his hand....to help him plunge the knife to kill something. It's gentle, compassionate, and ultimately lethal. After the life fades from the deer, and they sit there quietly, he attempts to reach out to touch his son, to show comfort and praise...but hesitates, and changes his mind. I just...I find it really profound, that the only time he's able to connect with his son at that point, in a way that shows true love and emotion...is by teaching the act of killing. It says a lot about the mindset of Kratos, and the life he lead up to that point.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And that's when, IRL, I see something out of the corner of my eyes, and it's my wife, nekked, wearing nothing but her very alma-esque length dark hair, walking past the room and out of sight to go the bathroom. Needless to say I nearly shit myself, the timing of the game effects and her passing was just too perfect. I got up and play thumped her in the chest multiple times when she came out of the bathroom, cursing her for scaring the shit out of me, much to her confusion. When I explained, she just sort of looked at me with sleepy eyes and was like "oh...well um....I sawwy I scare you, I go back to bed now." And she just shuffled off.
Interesting story. I didn't have headphones, but to make up for it, the TV I was playing on had a surround sound speakers. With slight echo effect that made certain sounds and scares even creepier.

The Streets of Rage Intro still gets me pumped. The original may have not aged well game play wise, though it's still got style. Nothing has ever gotten close to the original intro. Watching this everytime takes me back to me and big bro's co-op sessions.

The 4th game came the closest, but invokes more feelings of nostalgia. Love them both to death. Seeing the story intro, and listening to the remix of the og intro had me slight tears.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I was thinking about it and while its more of a meta thing but Smash reveals are pretty hype. I hope its an example that counts.

I remember when Brawl was in its development stage I remember checking the Smash Dojo for news on the then upcoming game at the time because Sakurai would post screencaps and news about the game. I actually missed that because it gave a connection between developer and fans but I digress. I was going to my high school's library to check out the Dojo and...

I saw this trailer drop and I realized what it meant. I was a big Sonic fan at the time and this blew my mind. Sonic could finally fight Mario in the biggest stage at the time! Watching the trailer with Sonic running with Live and Learn blaring was pretty epic. I really wanted to scream but I was in a library so I had to hold in all of my excitement. I did nudge at the guy next to me and showed him it and it was just funny. I just remember the moment too well.

Then it happened again several years later. I can't remember if it was from a Direct or not but I was kind of braindead because I was tired then this happened...

You've seen all the reactions. People lost their shit over Cloud being in Smash because he really came from left field and no one saw it coming. For me personally I scream a big "WAT!?" that echo'd through the house. It was kind of funny in retrospect but it was mind blowing at the time.

This might sound weird but I really didn't had much of a hype connection with Smash Ultimate due to circumstances. The announcement was dropped in some Direct but I never caught it so I was "oh ok." Snake's return with the words EVERYONE IS HERE was amazing because Snake is actually my favorite character but I felt like that was 1 amazing moment among a lot of everything. The Castlevania reveal was pretty awesome but I was spoiled a day early due to an error so I wasn't too excited. Happy but not too excited because I already knew though Richter was a great surprise for me since I love Rondo of Blood. And I wasn't watching the Game Awards Show so I completely missed Joker's reveal. I can understand if anyone was excited for these reveals but I just wasn't into it. However there was one reveal that stuck out for me and its...

Funny story. I was at work when this Direct happened so I managed to miss Hero's reveal but I had free time so I decided to tune into the Direct since it was still live. I tuned in the right time because I got in during the part where DK and friends where hanging out but I completely missed the Jiggy bouncing around so I assumed it was another DK character. Then after a fake out and the bear and bird popping up I was like "ohhhhhh! That's pretty neat!" I did watch it with a coworker too which was pretty cool.

That's me personally. I think people will be hyped for Smash no matter what but this is from my experiences with these things.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Very interesting analysis of Edith Finch. SPOILERS

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Mass Effect 3: Mordin Dies Saving the Krogan.

The amount of emotion they packed into that one character's journey from genetically engineering a genocide, to regretting his choice, to giving his life to undo the damage he had done. The way the music plays as he moves across the burning control room, muttering to himself as he sets up the final parameters, even is able to make some final improvements (IIRC) to give the Krogan a better dispersal of the compound. "Ah, an error, glad it was me....someone else..might've gotten it wrong..." *content sigh, explosion* Just, fucking awesome. I actually prefer the dialogue when he doesn't do the modern major general at the end, but they are both good.
“I am the very model of a scientist Salarian”......Right through my fucking heart every time.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution got me the first time I played and I wasn’t able to save Malik, that stung cos she was my pilot and I felt a budding something with her and Jensen. Then I found her body being harvested in the Triad camp. I left no survivors.

Metal Gear Solid V; the child soldiers in Africa. I got them out and shot every mother fucker between me and the extraction zone.

DragonAge 2; sending Bethany to the Circle at the end of Act 1 and the death of Leandra Hawke in Act 3.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
For sadness:

Majora's Mask: Anju's Grandmother puts on a brave face and asks if we're looking forward to relocating to Romani Ranch... then you can read her diary, where she's written that leaving her home to flee is unbearable. Hit me right in the feels.

FFIX: The Black Mages in the Black Mage Village coming to terms with death. As artificial beings without ever having been told about it, they don't really understand it, and refer to it as "stopping".

FFX: Auron: "I was just a boy. A boy about your age, actually. I wanted to change the world, too, but I changed nothing. That is my story".

Ni No Kuni: The death of Oliver's mum, and the awakening of Mr. Drippy from his tears. And later, the realisation that she cannot be brought back.

For uplifting-ness:

Okami: The part during the final confrontation when Yami is beating Amaterasu, and the sun's going out... then cut to all the people throughout the land, seeing the sky going dark and praying, and offering thanks for the help they received from the doggy. Cue Amaterasu getting powered up and standing back up again. Absolutely loved it first time I saw that bit.

For scares:

Silent Hill 2: Toluca Prison. My heart rate was up, I was almost getting panicy.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Deus Ex: Human Revolution got me the first time I played and I wasn’t able to save Malik, that stung cos she was my pilot and I felt a budding something with her and Jensen. Then I found her body being harvested in the Triad camp. I left no survivors.
Yeah I redid that mission until she lived, even pulled it off on a no kill run. That was a pretty nuts fight let me tell you.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Just off the top of my head....

Shadow Tactics: When Mugen takes his own life. It made me look up guides to see if he could be saved.

Knights of the Old Republic: The whole you are Revan twist.

Bioshock: Would you kindly....

I am playing Spiritfarer now and so far I've sent two spirits across the gate. But there's such a sense of loss each time it happens.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I tried so many times to save her and finally realized there was no way to do so with what I had. I felt really annoyed about that.
Yeah I had to whip out the stun/gas grenades like crazy, use my taze gun, pop the energy restoring items so I could stealth double takedowns, and basically just opened up every tool I had in my kit that I normally never bothered with. It wasn't easy, but I did it. I think I had to redo that fight like 20+ times to get it. But fuck that shit if I was gonna let her die.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah I had to whip out the stun/gas grenades like crazy, use my taze gun, pop the energy restoring items so I could stealth double takedowns, and basically just opened up every tool I had in my kit that I normally never bothered with. It wasn't easy, but I did it. I think I had to redo that fight like 20+ times to get it. But fuck that shit if I was gonna let her die.
EMP grenades are the big thing, for the box guard droid. I mean by that point you’re fighting against functionally cultists who are seeking some New World Order shit so not killing them outside a desire for a skill run seems counter productive but props to you if you can do it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm still pissed at that mission cause I did it in a way that no one detected me but it turn out that if you take out any of the soldier, even from stealth and somewhere the body isn't seen, you void ghost bonus (not getting seen), it's literally impossible to save her and get ghost. I think I spent 3 hours trying to do it perfectly and it all came to nothing.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I know I've said this before but;

Spec Ops: The Line - I was basically the perfect sucker that this game was going for, being a fan of shooters at the time (though the original Modern Warfare was my favorite) I fell right into the developers trap. I went though the whole game, one atrocity after another, completely gung-ho in the mission to get Conrad, and didn't realize anything was wrong until the "remnants" (if you take a different ending you find out they aren't real) of the 33rd surrender to you right before the final confrontation with Conrad. The rug got pulled out from under me so hard that I had to put the controller down and got one of the hardest hitting endings in a piece of media that I have experienced ("Conrad" shoots Walker in the head). Out of all the horror games/movies that I have seen, this 3rd person over the shoulder shooter is the scariest thing I have ever played.