Hardest Hitting Gaming Moments (spoilers)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
EMP grenades are the big thing, for the box guard droid. I mean by that point you’re fighting against functionally cultists who are seeking some New World Order shit so not killing them outside a desire for a skill run seems counter productive but props to you if you can do it.
Eh, as someone who consumes a lot of atheist content on youtube, the fact is that the majority of people who aren't in cults now, used to be in cults before, and woke the fuck up. So I try not to declare a death sentence on people because of an ideological issue like that. Granted, if they've killed people and are planning on still doing so, that does color the landscape significantly, but again, that doesn't mean that *I* want to become a killer too.

...plus I didn't have shit in the way of lethal equipment because I'd sold all that shit for nonlethal/bypassing type stuff, so it's not like I could whip out the minigun all of a sudden. xD

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm still pissed at that mission cause I did it in a way that no one detected me but it turn out that if you take out any of the soldier, even from stealth and somewhere the body isn't seen, you void ghost bonus (not getting seen), it's literally impossible to save her and get ghost. I think I spent 3 hours trying to do it perfectly and it all came to nothing.
I did a quick google search and it's stated from a few sources that you can still get ghost off that fight, even going non-lethal. I think it's all about having enough juice to stay invis the whole time, and use lots of tranq/stun shots, along with gas grenades for aoe takedowns.

And I seem to recall getting it myself when I did it. I know i got the ghost achievement as well as pacifist for that game, and I don't think I played it twice all the way through? Might want to check youtube for some strats or something if it's something you want to actually pull off. Granted it's been YEARS since I played that game, but yeah, I'm almost certain I got ghost on the same run i saved malik.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I did a quick google search and it's stated from a few sources that you can still get ghost off that fight, even going non-lethal. I think it's all about having enough juice to stay invis the whole time, and use lots of tranq/stun shots, along with gas grenades for aoe takedowns.

And I seem to recall getting it myself when I did it. I know i got the ghost achievement as well as pacifist for that game, and I don't think I played it twice all the way through? Might want to check youtube for some strats or something if it's something you want to actually pull off. Granted it's been YEARS since I played that game, but yeah, I'm almost certain I got ghost on the same run i saved malik.
You get the ghost achievement for getting a ghost bonus in the game, not for getting every ghost bonus in the game. It's possible to get the ghost bonus in that mission, but only if you just leave Malik to die and go straight to the elevator without taking out a single person. I even tried just taking out one guy on the second floor of the building, where no other soldier could see him, and then immediately taking the elevator to leave and that's enough to void the bonus.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You get the ghost achievement for getting a ghost bonus in the game, not for getting every ghost bonus in the game. It's possible to get the ghost bonus in that mission, but only if you just leave Malik to die and go straight to the elevator without taking out a single person. I even tried just taking out one guy on the second floor of the building, where no other soldier could see him, and then immediately taking the elevator to leave and that's enough to void the bonus.
*shrugs* I've seen people say it can be done, so maybe it is. I dunno, haven't played that game in a long time sadly.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Warcraft 3: The Death of Hellscream

How do I describe this scene as far as how it hit me? WC 3 was probably my first experience with the WC franchise, and with Blizzard. I dabbled with one of the previous WC games on my SNES as a rental from Blockbuster, but, it had zero impact on me. But, WC 3 came along, and that opening cinematic of the Prophet, calling Thrall to lead the Horde to a new life. That just grabbed me and brought me in. I fell in love with that green skinned Shaman, and his wish to find a safe place for his people to live in peace, no longer as slaves. I was 100% down for that plot motivation.

And THEN Grom Hellscream comes along, and fucks it all up! In an effort to recapture the glory of the old days (Make Orcs Great Again!), he re-binds his people into mystical slavery to a demon lord, dooming them to repeating their previous plight. Thrall breaks his chains, at lest temporarily, and convinces Grom to help him. Grom, shook by what he's done, and how fucking stupid he was, agrees. Cut to the cinematic, of the two of them, wandering into the lair of the Demon Lord, so small, and alone.

They hear the demon taunting them, and Thrall hurls his most powerful attack at him, only to find it easily deflected. Then, taking down with a backhanded slap, Grom is left, alone. Feeling the call of the demon blood, even louder. He staggers, all the while, hearing the demon tempting him to give up his control and his free will. Grom glances at the one person he has loved and respected in this world. The one person who he truly felt could save his people, that HE had failed, turns to the demon lord, and just screams in defiance. No word is needed. He lets his pure rage to convey "FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR PLANS!!" He charges, screaming the whole time, oblivious to everything but his target, and with a might slam, buries his axe in the demon lord's chest. He screams, going critical, and explodes in hellfire, consuming Grom.

Collapsing to the ground, Grom, pants out his last breaths, to the sound of a choir of voices, singing a sad lament. Thrall hobbles over, and kneels next to him. Grom, delirious, and dying, is only able to comment about how he's freed himself from the demon's control...then dies. Thrall corrects him, saying he has freed them all. Then lets out a very Klingon-esque howl of the dead over his fallen friend.

Just, SO fucking good. That scene is why I started playing WoW, and was Horde for Life. So much enjoyment in that Horde campaign, I just, it was fucking great. Every time after that, if I was in the outlands when someone was doing the quest where they showed Garrosh Hellscream what his father did, and you got that zone wide buff, I would stop whatever I was doing, and fly over there, to watch the little re-enactment of the fight as Garrosh watched. I would /cheer every time. Because that shit was just fucking awesome.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Final Fantasy 7 Remake

The section where you play as Aerith during the plate-dropping sequence. There's two moments that turned her from an okay character into a fantastic one; The first one with Wedge and the second one with Marlene. In both cases we don't have Aerith sugarcoat the severity of the situation when asked by Wedge and Marlene how bad things are, but she still manages to instill this genuine sense of comfort in them (and the audience) by just being there for them. In particular when Marlene asks her if they're going to destroy their house, and instead of just telling her a white little lie she reaches out her arms to hold her and tells her 'I know it's hard'. It was pretty marvelous and it really made me love the character.

Spider-Man PS4

The final confrontation with Doc Ock when he reveals he knew Peter was Spider-Man the entire time. It's kind of a trope in Spider-Man movies that the villain gets some form of redemption. Even Green Goblin in Spider-Man 1 has a final line pleading to Peter to keep the awful truth from Harry, showing that he still has some humanity. And with this game I was fully expecting a similar redemption for Doc Ock, seeing as his motivations were painted in a sympathetic light. And because the audience is at that point still under the impression that Otto doesn't know Peter's identity as Spider-Man, I was anticipating Peter to take off his mask during their fight and saying 'Look, it's me; you're trusted student and friend, Peter Parker', and that this would then be enough to jog Otto out of his villainous rage and realize the error of his ways.

But nope, Otto knew he was Spider-Man this whole time and he just didn't give a shit. He tried to kill him and left him for dead twice and Peter's aunt is currently dying from a disease that he unleashed. It was a really effective heelturn and cements him as an irredeemable piece of shit.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake

The section where you play as Aerith during the plate-dropping sequence. There's two moments that turned her from an okay character into a fantastic one; The first one with Wedge and the second one with Marlene. In both cases we don't have Aerith sugarcoat the severity of the situation when asked by Wedge and Marlene how bad things are, but she still manages to instill this genuine sense of comfort in them (and the audience) by just being there for them. In particular when Marlene asks her if they're going to destroy their house, and instead of just telling her a white little lie she reaches out her arms to hold her and tells her 'I know it's hard'. It was pretty marvelous and it really made me love the character.
To me the Remake was filled with moments like that. A million little things that build up the whole picture of the game to something special.

For all the faults that the Remake does admittedly have, it overcomes those faults by being a fantastic experience everywhere else.