Hardest Moral Choice you had to make in a game?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I was just playing Fallout New Vegas when it asked me this on a side-quest:

You can destroy the reactor, which would lead to the NCR farm not being irradiated and the plants grow and people can get food. At the cost of death of the people in the vault.

Or

You can fix the reactor, keep the farm irradiated and die, but save the lives of people in the vault.

Neither choice gives Karma.

I picked the above one (more lives then just a few) but it took me awhile to decide. It was very welcoming to my Fallout experience.

So what was your hardest Moral Choice you had to make?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Megaton in Fallout 3.

Moira Brown irritates the shit out of me but she sells good stuff ...... to blow up or not to blow up.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
the end of dues ex, both side had good and bad points and in kotor 2 when you are in the sith cave on korriban, its got a few of them and the whole experience ends in getting dark side points

jakko12345

Dec 23, 2010
The moral choice that actually took the most time for me to decide was a moment in GTA 4 when you finally encounter the man who caused the death of Niko's family and friends when he was a child in Serbia. Niko had been hunting for him the whole game, but when you encounter him, his life is absolute shit. He's poor, in debt and has no friends or family, and I actually didn't kill him. I felt his life was shit enough as it is; better to let him suffer for what he did than to end it quickly

Jun 7, 2010
The end of infamous 2.
you basically have to choose between killing all humans to save the conduits (people with superpowers such as Cole) or kill all the conduits and yourself to save the puny humans.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Spoiler Alert?

I just finished Dragon Age II. The finale for that story was absolutely phenomenal. The decision whether or not to kill Anders or risk Sebastion's armies is gut-wrenching. Anders was a good friend but did a terrible thing. But that final choice between Templars and Mages is also very weighty. All in all just a powerful finale.

So yeah, the choice between killing Anders and letting him live was the hardest choice in recent memory.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Do I help smuggle a weapons mod to be delivered to an angry krogan bounty hunter for a giant jellyfish, or do I not, or do I take it for myself, or do I report it? No joke, half an hour spent on that decision, 250 credit reward. I RP instead of playing as myself, so moral decisions are the decision of them, and help me develop their character. Small things like smuggling and piracy and the character's view on them often take me longer than big things, like saving lives. My decision? ran away and didn't interfere, which was the correct decision for my character.

Also,
Mordin Solus' mission on the genophage took me half an hour as well, and I still haven't solved it. I keep changing my mind, keep debating. I think I chose to keep the data, just in case, ala the easy way out.

joiny

Sep 20, 2010
A house divided in ME2. Sorry for having the same opinion as extra credits.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
For me it was the "save your girlfriend or save a half dozen doctors" choice in Infamous 1.

I chose the girl. Whoops.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Mass Effect, choosing whether I wanted to save Alenko or Williams.

One of the best decisions in the game, since it didn't affect your paragon or renegade scores or, really, a whole lot to carry over.

EDIT: Nothing in ME2 really had me wracking my brain. Everything was either a no-brainer or you could charm/intimidate your way out of a situation.

Kushan101

Apr 28, 2009
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
The end of infamous 2.
you basically have to choose between killing all humans to save the conduits (people with superpowers such as Cole) or kill all the conduits and yourself to save the puny humans.
Gah! You beat me to it good sir.

Jan 27, 2011
I'm not sure what the hardest one for me was...So I'll jsut put this one up.

Kill myself, a possible love interest and anyone unlucky enough to me born with the gene in order to MAYBE, just MAYBE cure the plague...Or condemn humanity by using a method that is guaranteed to save the conduits....

VERY hard choice. But I went for the heroic one. I had no time to find a third option, so if I didn't do it, all of humanity's blood would have been on my hands.

wolf thing said:
the end of dues ex, both side had good and bad points
Yeah. in the end I...
I fused with The Helios AI. It seemed like the most insane idea in the world...but the other choices would be
1) to plunge the world into a new dark age which would totally screw over humanity at worst, and be a temporary fix at best.
or 2) To hand the world over to ANOTHER group of humans who would rule form the shadows. ...Yeah, that doesn't work.

Plus, I knew the AI was a mishmash of AIs. One was made to silently protect innocents from terrorism and oppression, and the other was made to rule carefully and in an orderly way. Throw my own human compassion into the mix, and it might just be possible to create a being that had the power to rule the world, an unbreakable directive to protect the people in it, and the compassion to understand those people. Risky as hell, but with so much potential.

Jan 27, 2011
drummond13 said:
For me it was the "save your girlfriend or save a half dozen doctors" choice in Infamous 1.

I chose the girl. Whoops.
I did that too. I have no regrets.

If I was presented with that choice in real life, I would have done the same. I am still human, modsbannit. I can't allow someone I love to die to help a bunch of other people.

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Mine is for Mass Effect 1 for when you had a choice to let either
Ashley
or
Kaidan
die. That one took me a while. I hated them both but wasn't sure who I hated more.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
Megaton in Fallout 3.

Moira Brown irritates the shit out of me but she sells good stuff ...... to blow up or not to blow up.
Bad news buddy, Moira survives as a ghoul

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Pretty much all of Alpha Protocol, the latter half of FNV (Took a whole 40 hours for me to decide), and the majority of The Witcher 2. Had to apply some real logic for those, tell you what.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
basically choosing who to side with in fallout new-vegas, my first character basically had been all over the place, doing quest for every faction, up until the point of no return and i literally could not decide who i should support, took me 2 days to finally take the NCR's side, mostly that was because of Boone though couldn't get myself to seperate from my sniper buddy.

thing is when you get down to it, all sides have their good points and their bad points, no side is "clean" they've all done rather terrible things, Caesar slightly worse then NCR but they just work so much better that i found it hard to just discount them, yes they kept slaves etc. but all the people you talk to who actually live under his rule say there are no raiders in his lands people are safe, they have plenty of supplies, sure they lack certain freedoms but to survive in the fallout universe you'll have to make some sacrifices after all. NCR wasn't exactly an innocent party either, you have something they want and they will simply annex you whether you agree with it or not, also they were trying to do too many things at the same time, spreading themselves out too thin and thus weakening the stability of the region they controlled, drug abuse, raiders, gambling, prostitution etc. all were rampant problems in the NCR. House, well he was kind of an ass but his plans for the region were more about keeping the status quo intact and in the end would probably have a big pay off though it would have meant that nothing noteworthy would change in the near future and people would suffer heavely because of the war between NCR and the legion.

so yeah i found that to be a particularly difficult decision to make, mostly because i could actualyl sympathise with all parties, which i feel just goe to show what superb writing went into the game, while yes Caesar was the slightly more "evil" choice House the "neutral" choice and the NCR the "good" choice they never felt so stereotypically clear-cut.