Hardware Review: Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
My Logitech G35 is 120, and 7.1 surround and are purely amazing. I'd get those any day over these.

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
All these prices, I get a skullcandy everyday. No need to talk, can grab an alternative stand-alone mic'.
All Skullcandys I've listened to sounded off somehow, to much bass, muddy highs, and most I've touched were fragile as hell. I prefer to have fairly level frequency response on headphones, extreme Vs and all those just aren't my cup of tea.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Xersues said:
My Logitech G35 is 120, and 7.1 surround and are purely amazing. I'd get those any day over these.
Definitely. I love my G35's. I game on my laptop hooked up to my monitor, keyboard, and mouse, so its speakers are to the side. I can't exactly play like that, so I got a headset. My god is the G35 amazing. I can hear the helicopter blades wirring above me in Bad Company 2, and people playing the Lute at all angles in Lord of the Rings Online. I don't even care about getting regular speakers anymore; these are just fine.

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
I find using speakers is just inconvenient when living with other people, so I've always used headphones. I have a pair of G35s as well; got them refurbished for $90, they're fine except for a hole in the cord's braiding. The surround sound and sound quality is quite good, but I found them somewhat uncomfortable compared to my Zalmar "Theatre 6" headphones (extremely comfortable), though I seem to have gotten used to them.

I've also been impressed with what you can accomplish with stereo headphones and a sound card's simulated surround sound.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
What? your 360 cable didn't have optical? Do you have the core edition or something? Different SKU?

Both of my 360s HD AV cables have optical on them.Component and RCA. I use the Component to connect to my Dell 2408WFP 24" monitor.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Xersues said:
ok this headset is looking better and better. u can get for $90 and its a 7.1 ... can some1 link me a comparable 7.1 headset for that price point? cause im almost ready to buy it XD

Undead_David

Nov 27, 2009
Sturmdolch said:
Xersues said:
Definitely. I love my G35's. I game on my laptop hooked up to my monitor, keyboard, and mouse, so its speakers are to the side. I can't exactly play like that, so I got a headset. My god is the G35 amazing. I can hear the helicopter blades wirring above me in Bad Company 2, and people playing the Lute at all angles in Lord of the Rings Online. I don't even care about getting regular speakers anymore; these are just fine.
I have the G35 and 5.1 speakers for my computer, and aside from the cord its pretty much identical to my speakers in its surround sound. I love these things to death and not to mention they look a lot cooler and have great driver support since it is logitech and the mic quality on it kicks ass compared to most other mics. If you got the money i would recommend these to anyone, they sound great with any setup and if you put the right pad on you can barely feel them on your head.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
If you've already got a good stereo headset, just pick up the astro mixamp and you'll have Dolby Headphone processing.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
4RT1LL3RY said:
A good pair of stereo headphones gives just as much information about location of a sound and they will sound incredible when listening to music as well.
That's just not true. I have a nice set of Sennheiser monitor's at the office and a Razer Barracuda [http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Barracuda-8-Channel-Gaming-Headphones/dp/B000H89E20] at home for gaming. The Sennheiser's are unquestionably better for audio quality, comfort, and noise isolation (which they damn well should be), but they can't do 3D audio positioning. At best, the games themselves can try to interpolate 3D audio into Stereo, but it doesn't compare to the real deal. Surround headsets are a case where the whole is far greater than the sum of the parts.

dududf said:
http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/computer/gaming-headsets/gamecom-777 I own it, take my word for it. It's fucking awesome.
Those look nice, but they're USB. USB headphones make me sad - the audio quality is entirely reliant on software, and they're bad for performance compared to even onboard audio. If you're running on a laptop, sure, but I couldn't bring myself to use them on a real PC. I'm kind of jealous that Tito's review set can accept optical inputs - I would have jumped at that if I had seen that when I was shopping for headphones.

ZippyDSMlee said:
How is the 5.1 positioning of sound? If it is not clear that there is a rear and front its kinda all kinda moot.....
I can't speak for the ones he reviewed, but I found that the positioning in the stereo sets work very well. It's not as good as having your whole room wired with a full set of speakers, but it's the next best thing.

akmarksman said:
What? your 360 cable didn't have optical? Do you have the core edition or something? Different SKU?
The optical audio port is on the cable adapters. If you connect your 360 with HDMI, you don't have the port unless you buy the HDMI Connection Kit [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-HDMI-Cable-Connection-Kit/dp/B001OLXMUY]. Most people using HDMI use it for both audio and video - only people who have complicated stereos or are just anal-retentive (or both, like me) use both HDMI and optical audio.

The_Healer said:
Hmm I'd rather have good 5.1 gaming speakers. I wish someone would make good ones...
Yeah, me too. I had a set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers, from back when Creative hadn't ruined their company and quality yet. They had a digital receiver, full 5.1 sound, multiple input types (including optical), and were the perfect size to fit in/around a desk. Unfortunately, last year the receiver finally died on me, and I couldn't find anything else that I liked, or that didn't looks like it fell out of a super exxtreme Mountain Dew commercial. That's when I switched to the stereo headphones.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Virgil said:
dududf said:
http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/computer/gaming-headsets/gamecom-777 I own it, take my word for it. It's fucking awesome.
Those look nice, but they're USB. USB headphones make me sad - the audio quality is entirely reliant on software, and they're bad for performance compared to even onboard audio. If you're running on a laptop, sure, but I couldn't bring myself to use them on a real PC. I'm kind of jealous that Tito's review set can accept optical inputs - I would have jumped at that if I had seen that when I was shopping for headphones.
I must have picked the wrong head phones, as these are not USB, they plug directly into a audio socket. It's hard to tell what the number on mine are, as it doesn't say it.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Plinglebob said:
RvLeshrac said:
LoopyDood said:
I was getting excited about them until I saw the price, $160. I'm looking for something in the sub-$100 range, could anyone make any suggestions?
There's no such thing as a "good" sub-$100 Surround headset (yes, this is sad). You can get a good communication headset for $20-30 (I like the Logitech PS2/3 USB headsets) , and a decent stereo headset for $50-100 (Logitech G330 on the low end, Steel 5H on the high).
Or you could just buy a soundcard like this [http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-Xtreme-Audio-PCI/M/B000W7PNZI.htm] at $60, and a cheap pair of headphones and you'll have the same effect.
That's the worst, lowest-end "X-Fi" that barely qualifies as such. You'd be better off with on-board. And that's not from the "audiophile" standpoint, as some people in this thread seem to be coming from (There are no audiophiles in gaming, game audio is consistently poor quality), but from an average user.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Virgil said:
I think the vast majority of us that use USB headsets are using them for comm devices, not for in-game audio. *all* USB headsets are mediocre headphones, but they work very well as headsets.

That's the point of the USB, you see. It presents them as a completely independent audio device, which means you can direct in-game audio to your $300+ speakers, and not have to dirty them up with Joe Jackass implying things about your sexuality, which can be redirected to your headset.

At least, in any modern game.

Well, any modern game that isn't from Valve. I can't play L4D2 multi with any degree of skill because the Voice code is a decade old, nearly worthless.

Virgil said:
Yeah, me too. I had a set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers, from back when Creative hadn't ruined their company and quality yet. They had a digital receiver, full 5.1 sound, multiple input types (including optical), and were the perfect size to fit in/around a desk. Unfortunately, last year the receiver finally died on me, and I couldn't find anything else that I liked, or that didn't looks like it fell out of a super exxtreme Mountain Dew commercial. That's when I switched to the stereo headphones.
I donated my old 4.1 Soundworks set to a family member after picking up a Logitech X540 at an 'X'-treme (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahaha. ha.) discount. They're fantastic, for the price.

I just can't see spending an enormous sum on PC audio, since the actual audio is of mediocre quality. I'd rather put that money into the surround system attached to my TV, 360, and media players.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
Hmm Amazon is way overpriced then.

I got this headset myself for just 65 euros. That's around $80,-
Included shipping. But that's the analog one. Which is exactly the same except you don't have a control unit. Which is fine by me coz why go optical and reencode the signal again to analog.
My soundcard can do that as good as that thing.