Harrison: Gaming's Future is the Web Browser, Not Consoles

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
You hear a lot of people expressing theories about what the future of gaming is going to be, and ultimatly it comes down to what they think is going to benefit them the most and line their pockets.

A lot of factors are not accounted for here, such as the simple fact that companies like Microsoft, Sony, and others are worth billions of dollars and aren't going to either go quietly into the night, or permit themselves more competition than they absolutly have to unless forced. I'm personally not convinced that browser based games will ever be truely better in any objective way from a gaming console, and even if they were, it will be a lot like gas companies and automotive manufacturers doing what they can to very successfully surpress the development of alternative automobile technology. Sure there are benefits to electric cars, and they will doubtlessly get to the point of more conventional automobiles, but any changeover has been a trickle (and still might not ever happen) simply because the guys who make billions of dollars off of selling you gasoline for those cars and have invested in that infrastructure do not want it to become obselete, or to stop making money off of you, and when you have the money, it's pretty easy to keep the little guy down, even when the goverment gets involved it's a giant mess.

The point here is that I very much doubt we're going to see any radical changes in terms of gaming hardware and the like. We're liable to see advancements in terms of speed, graphics, and similar things, but I do not think "cloud" or browser based gaming will take over in any radical way. If it does happen I expect a very slow, hard fought creep, full of legal battles and corperate manuvering before it replaces how things are now.

In short big businesses don't just let newer, littler businesses just walk in and replace them and take their place. While not as frequent or outrageous as books and movies, the bottom line is that when billions are on the line, a big business is more likely to have a much smaller competitor sabotaged (corperate espionage), or just outright have the people involved killed. Not nice, but things like that do happen.

Another big issue to consider above and beyond the reactions of the businessmen themselves, is of course consumer benefit. One of the reasons why you rarely see sudden, radical change within society is because for that to happen the overwhelming majority of people have to benefit from it. This is true even when dealing with smaller groups of people.

People have been screaming for years now that "Digital Downloads are coming, nothing will stop them!" yet retail has hardly been killed and replaced. I think people underestimate the simple fact that the consumers don't benefit from that business model, and thus don't support it.

Browser and cloud based games have all of the same issues as digital download, you pay for something that you have no physical control over, and become totally dependant on the service you purchused it from for continued access to what you bought. If the provider you bought from goes out of business, you lose everything.

What's more the idea here seems to pretty much be to get consumers to pay what amounts to subscription fees for all games, as opposed to just MMORPGs. The idea that you pay for access to someone's cloud, or browser service, and then purchuse specific games you can play as long as you maintain that subscription. This may or may not be in addition to general internet fees through your ISP.

A lot of people probably believe that this would not happen, but that's exactly where it will go if such services become the mainstay of gaming, and physical media disappears.

Right now the industry wants the future to be an experience where they charge you for games, charge you again for access to the games you bought (even single player ones), and then build microtransactions into the infrastucture so they can easily nickel and dime you some more for access to content being held back from the basic purchuse price.

Some people don't see that, but right now I think a lot of people do. For all claims that it won't go there, you'll notice there isn't exactly much in the way of guarantees that this kind of system won't be abused, and we'll have to either stop gaming or pay out the gills for it. Trusting the integrity of big business not to exploit you (and the gaming industry is big business nowadays) is foolish.

I consider all these proclaimations about the future of gaming to be similar to the "great Metric Changeover" and "Paperless Office" of yesterday. Massive change can happen if people are simply convinced it's going to happen, something a ot of people try and exploit. In this case I think the gaming industry is trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it hasn't been working as well as they hoped. A lot of people are convinced of course, but there are also a lot of people who like me take a "whoa, wait a second here, why on God's green earth do I want that? What's more what reason do I have to trust you guys of all people not to abuse this wonderful system your trying to sell".

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Any future where the game is force fed to the player with no regards to modification can go fornicate with itself.

We own our games. We should be able to play them whenever, where-ever, and how-ever we like.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
If there ever was a time a simple "DO NOT WANT" summed up the entirety of my feelings, this is it. I'm sick enough of simple non-game things with much lower resource requirements all wanting to run in my browser instead of a stand-alone app. I have little to no confidence in someone even making a browser that doesn't blow goats in the time frame he's talking about, much less one that would have any sort of advantage for playing games compared to any of the other options.

The buggiest, least stable, least reliable, and least efficient software on any computer I've had in the past decade or so has pretty consistently been whatever browser I've been using at the time. While it sounds great in theory being able to have stuff available from anywhere you have a browser and Internet access, in practice it sucks pretty hard when it results in taking ten times the CPU and RAM to use something that works worse than a native/local app could do the same thing in the 90s.

It pisses me off so much that I've go so far as to rewrite browser-only AJAX chat clients in a different language as a stand-alone app just so I wouldn't have to run the goddamn thing in my browser (and so I could add exciting new features from 20 years ago, like "logging" and "not using 80MB of RAM for a basic chat room"). When trivial stuff like that finally works as well as the equivalent non-browser app, then you can get back to me about doing something more serious in my browser. Until then, would you kindly die in a fire?

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
We will probably see a rise in the number and quality of large-budget, browser games, but it would be a long time until they could phase out consoles games entirely.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Simply put, no.

What's the point of putting a video game inside a browser? It's less convenient, less user-friendly, and really the only advantage it offers is the fact that there's no initial install.

And, well...that's just compared to normal PC games. Compared to consoles? There's no way in hell a shift like that will take place.

I prefer PC gaming to console gaming for many reasons, but convenience certainly isn't one of them. In a society where the most convenient product usually sells the best, there's absolutely no way that the mainstream market will latch on to web browser.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I dont like this direction, if I buy somthing I want to OWN it and play it when I want. If the world ends and I'm the last person on earth I still want my games dammit!!

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I don't like this idea. It suggests that the future of gaming is going backwards, then reaching the point we are at today, but in a different format. Only then do we actually advance in console technology. It seems like a strange and unnecessary lateral development.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Eheheh...
You know how alot of popular flash games and such get downloaded every time you play them because they're in-browser? Imagine if a game like Call of Duty did that xD

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
BROWSER games? pah!

I'll be the first to scream "PC > EVERY OTHER CONSOLE" to anyone and everyone

But BROWSER games? sure little flash games can addict you for hours if not days or even weeks, but thats the thing, LITTLE flash games, running a 'full' 3d game inside a browser is terrible.
Anyone who played HolyBeast before Ijji moved it into the "Reactor" knows what I mean o.o

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Maybe...

When sufficiently fast internet becomes cheap?

When there is no lag?

When computers are universally kitted out to run top-tier games?

I'm sorry, but internet is expensive (I don't want to effectively pay more for a game every time I play it) and so is top-line computer hardware (and the requirements are going to change constantly)

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
Well that was ... random.

Who else thinks the man just saw a game or two, has no idea of the technology behind it and started day dreaming with his mouth open ?

Fumbl3s

Sep 9, 2010
Am I the only one who read this and thought "Yeah, I can see that happening."? Microsoft and Nintendo cater more and more to the "casual gamer" because they spend a lot more money on games and the 4 unique pieces of hardware that come with each one (you know, since they've been busy leading productive lives earning money up until now while we, the hardcore fanbase, have been sustaining these goliaths for the past several decades with our allowance money and parents yearning to buy our love). Zynga makes BILLIONS on their games that are proven to be psychologically addictive.

My point is, wherever the money goes, that's where the gaming industry goes. If they run into the rendering/programming/software/WHATEVER issues that have all been pointed out, people will get creative and find a solution. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Harrison painted a PLAUSIBLE scenario.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
usucdik said:
o_O

I was merely saying that 4GB or more of RAM would be required which is plausible as a standard game for Vista/Win7 would require 3GB with the browser as well would take at least 400MB of RAM.

Browser can be more unstable due to the "add-on" feature that is added and even then most of them are prone to memory leaks.