Harry Shearer Returning to The Simpsons

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Harry Shearer Returning to The Simpsons

Actor Harry Shearer has reversed his decision to leave <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20simpsons?os=the+simpsons>The Simpsons after 26 seasons.

Earlier this year, Simpsons devotees the world over were shocked to learn that actor Harry Shearer <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140791-Simpsons-Actor-Harry-Shearer-Leaving-the-Show>would be leaving the show after more than of a quarter century. The voice behind more than twenty characters including fan favorites like Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders and Principal Skinner, his departure represented a huge (and arguably irreparable) blow to the long-running cartoon. That being the case, reports yesterday have indicated that Shearer will, in fact, be returning for the series' 27th and 28th seasons.

<a href=http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/entertainment/feat-harry-shearer-simpsons-return/index.html>Fox revealed Shearer's return in an announcement yesterday where it stated that it was "proud to confirm that each and every member of iconic series' voice cast will be returning in the roles they've brought to life since the show's beginnings as a series of animates shorts nearly 30 years ago." Showrunner Al Jean, <a href=https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/618484796193271808>speaking on Twitter, later added that he's "truly glad he is returning to the show."

Shearer had previously passed up on a $14 million contract citing, in part, his desire to "do other work." His return will see him accepting that same deal, earning him an estimated $300,000 per episode. While this new contract will initially tie him into the next two seasons, it will also include an option for two more should the show be renewed past season 28. In other words, Simpsons fans have at least another four years of Mr. Shearer's vocal talent to look forward to.

Source: <a href=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/harry-shearer-returning-simpsons-807114>The Hollywood Reporter

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
That's good from them. Would be bizarre to see this show without a good chunk of its cast.

Here it comes. It's that one comment saying how the Simpsons aren't what they used to be. It's there. SHOW YOURSELF!!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
He probably realize how much money he was passing up compared to what he'd get from other avenues. Either way he's an icon of the Simpsons roster (actually A LOT of the roster) and very important IMO.
I think as much as I love the Simpsons still, they do need to find a way to wrap it up.
Futurama was able to pull of an ending, twice in fact and I totally believe that Groening and company can do a sendoff for the Simpsons and do it right. Maybe with a final movie? I don't care what other folks say I love the shit out of the Simpsons movie.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
Here it comes. It's that one comment saying how the Simpsons aren't what they used to be. It's there. SHOW YOURSELF!!
Just the one? That seems a bit optimistic.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
They really can't drop him from the show anymore that'd break the mold.

One could see it as an opportunity to introduce new talent but I don't think a behemoth like the Simpsons can really lose so much of the cast.

OhNoYouDidnt

Oct 22, 2013
If he did end up renewing his contract before the new season went into production, is it appropriate to say that he "returned"? I mean, technically, he never really left...

Eh, nitpicks. Anyway. This news is... wait for it... EXCELLENT.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
*Temples fingers* Excellent...

I should really start watching the Simpsons again. Sure, it's gone on a bit long and has lost some of its lustre, but it's still FUN.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
He probably realize how much money he was passing up compared to what he'd get from other avenues.
No, he didn't. And given how prolific Shearer is, that may not be true. But it's moot. Al Jean has indicated that Shearer is free to do other work, and that appears to be the big change here.

And, might I add, this news is...

...Exaaaaactly...

D'oh!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's good, I guess, but I'm not sure how long they can keep going. I think they should just end the show at some point, but some people will probably complain and no one will be happy...

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
*Wipes head* Phew! Close call. I was worried that the show would basically die after next season. Now the show will run a lot longer. I know it's not that good anymore, but man, you just want the longest running animated show to keep running as long as it can.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
*Wipes head* Phew! Close call. I was worried that the show would basically die after next season. Now the show will run a lot longer. I know it's not that good anymore, but man, you just want the longest running animated show to keep running as long as it can.
The Fuguta family, from the series Sazae-san, want a word with you, they been at it since 1969.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
I don't think there is a point anymore since everyone and their pets know it by now. I mean it started, when? I remember hearing it often around season 10.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
iniudan said:
The Fuguta family.
I had to re-read that sentence twice, thought it said something completely different. >_>

OT: That's good news, I might go back and rewatch the seasons I haven't yet seen, have heard it's getting better. Not as good as it used to be, but still ok.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
The_Darkness said:
*Temples fingers* Excellent...

I should really start watching the Simpsons again. Sure, it's gone on a bit long and has lost some of its lustre, but it's still FUN.
I would reccomend two episodes.

1st is "Holidays of Future Passed" a Christmas themed future episode that'd give Lisa's Wedding a run for it's money.

2nd is "Brick like Me" AKA the Lego episode. The episode is oozing with heart for both franchises.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
iniudan said:
Mr.Mattress said:
The Fuguta family, from the series Sazae-san, want a word with you, they been at it since 1969.

Okay, then Simpsons is the longest running animated show people still give a shit about.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
RealRT said:
iniudan said:
Mr.Mattress said:

Okay, then Simpsons is the longest running animated show people still give a shit about.
Also the longest running animated show people have actually heard of.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Also the longest running animated show people have actually heard of.
Aww, he thinks he's people (and therefore has the ability to speak for all of us). Or am I the one whose deluded himself into thinking he's a people? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

OT: I'd like to see The Simpsons retired at season 30, to be replaced with a show called "Springfield". Lets face it, people aren't tired of the characters, they just need a fresh perspective. By swapping it to be about the town at large, episodes can be free to focus on anyone, without needing to shoehorn the leading family into the plot. It would also serve as an excuse to shift a few voices around, and maybe get a less monetarily cast scrapped together. And, after a few seasons of that, they'd have a great baseline of marketing data to work out potential characters for the inevitable "Frasier" equivalent (My vote goes to Comic Book Guy).

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
... The year 4528. The simpsons hits it's 2039th season...

Seriously though. This show seems like it's just going to go on forever. Whether anyone wants it to or not.