harvest moon or rune factory

dragsaw

Oct 16, 2011
So im thinking of playing one of them down the line, and i wanted to know whats one is better in teams of story (i dont think that will be a big thing) gameplay etc etc

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
Which system?

I've played rune factory(1) for the ds and it was ok, I didn't really care for the monster hunting, so I just concentrated on farming for a year and I ended up with every house/farm upgrade you could buy with nothing really left to do but go through the dungeons. The "story" was pretty bad and just there to give you a reason to go to different dungeons. all in all I would say play harvest moon instead

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I've only played the very first rune factory and that was quite a while ago so I honestly can't give you too much information on them...

On harvest moon though, I can tell you this about story....there really isn't one. Yeah pretty much that. I mean there is a LITTLE story...your grandfather gave you a farm to fix up or you have to help find all the three animals to get them back to the parade or you have to win cooking festivals to reunite the two towns...

And that's about it. It's left pretty free and open so that you can live your life how you want and you don't have a big overarching plot to deal with while your trying to get the hottest bacholer/ette in town to finally fucking take the damn blue feather!

As far as Rune Factory goes, from what I can remember of it, there was quite a bit more plot invovled, seeing as you had caves to explore and monsters to defeat, but you also had the essentials of Harvest Moon, taking care of a farm and finding your sweetheart...maybe even having a kid but like I said this was YEARS ago so I could be wrong. But, if memory serves, I found it a little difficult to try and do all this cave exploring when I was also having to tend to a farm and only had so much energy in the day.

Also you might look into Innocent Life. It's kind of a futuristic Harvest Moon, you can't get married in it, but you have to tend to a farm and it has a much more overarching plot involving restoring nature or some such and involves some exploration, without having to go off and kill monsters.

Anyways, it all depends on what appeals to you, I would go to amazon and just type in Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and Innocent Life and just compare and contrast the results you get and see what appeals to you. Something you might be intersted to know is the newest Harvest Moon, A New Beginning, came out last November and has some new interesting points in that you can now design your character's looks AND design the layout of your farm and possibly your home as well.

dragsaw

Oct 16, 2011
Orange12345 said:
Which system?

I've played rune factory(1) for the ds and it was ok, I didn't really care for the monster hunting, so I just concentrated on farming for a year and I ended up with every house/farm upgrade you could buy with nothing really left to do but go through the dungeons. The "story" was pretty bad and just there to give you a reason to go to different dungeons. all in all I would say play harvest moon instead
more or less anything i will not on ps3 preferably

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Harvest Moon, even the newer ones have a bigger emphasis on just farming/farm-ish type stuff, where as Rune Factory goes for everything (seriously, is there anything in that game you can't gain a level from doing? ). There's combat, dungeon crawling, farming, and a bunch of other stuff.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
I was not all that impressed with Tides of Destiny. I think it's gone too far in the action RPG direction, to the detriment of the farm sim side of the equation. It's not completely without merit, but if you're hoping for a non-handheld Harvest Moon, that ain't it.

RF3 on the DS wasn't bad, though.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
I'd go with Harvest Moon, the dungeon crawling bit in Rune Factory isn't exactly great and takes away from the feel of Harvest Moon in my opinion.

Raddragon

Dec 23, 2008
I've played rune factory 3 and I have to say it is possibly one of the best games I have ever played. It mixes story, combat and farming SO well, it makes you love it, and gives you a dash of visual novel to keep you playing it. It manages to really immerse you into the game. I urge anyone to try it out, specially if you're into RPG's, farming sims or visual novels. Its (arguably) a 9/10. If you know of any similar games, please reply to me, I'd love to play them