Has a game ever made you cry ?

tgbennett30

Oct 7, 2010
VERY old-school (and at least partially due to my age at the time):

The death of Floyd in "Planetfall."

I mean, come on - a TEXT-ONLY game, and yet that scene is *notorious* for choking people up.

It was brutal, Floyd was essentially a child, and his death was violent and unexpected, and could easily be attributed to a failure on your part, although Floyd died giving his life for yours. Most games that involve a major character dying don't have it happen to little kids, let alone have little kids sacrificing themselves for you...

MajinDevil65

Dec 17, 2009
Mother 3, not going to state any of the moments that did it. But it made me cry like a small child desperatly seeking his mother.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
No. Came close a couple of times when I was a lot younger. But not really. A game as startled me, a game has caused me to ponder a moral problem, a game has inspired me, and a game has caused me to smile or laugh or even feel genuinely sad.

But cry? Nothing has quite reached that level yet. I have a feeling that it will eventually.

But it takes a lot to really make me cry. The last thing that made me openly cry was "Grave of the Fireflies". Go watch it, from beginning to end without stopping or pausing. If you can get through that without crying, I seriously question your ability to empathize with other human beings.

Well.. okay, I came close to crying during the end of the opening part of UP. Man, for a kid's film, that was pretty damn brutal. Not so much for the kids who didn't quite grasp the complexity of the emotions, but for all the adults in the cinema it was pure torture.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
During the ending of Final Fantasy IX, tears were running down my face. Mainly due to the beautiful song "Melodies of Life" and:
After Zidane had gone to save Kuja, and the roots of the Iifa Tree sealed them in it, we cut to some time later (it really just says 'Some time later...' in the ending), in Alexandria which had been rebuilt. We see the main characters and what's changed, and we see white text on a black background between taking a look at each of the characters. It's Vivi talking about and to Zidane and how he changed their lives. After all that, we get the play "I Want To Be Your Canary", performed by the Tantalus group, though we only get a few scenes from it. A cloaked figure is performing in it and at the last scene, which always gets me since I know what's about to happen, the figure says "Could she have betrayed me? Nay, ne'er would my love speak false. I must have faith! She shall appear if I only believe! As the sun lends me no ear, I pray instead to the twin moons! I beseech thee, wondrous moonlight, grant me my only wish!" and throws it's cloak off, revealing itself as Zidane, and at the same time he says "Bring my beloved Dagger to me!" (The Dagger part is just what you named Garnet at the start of the game, and Dagger is the default name). Then we get a CGI movie where Garnet, or Dagger for those that named her that, starts running off the balcony, being stopped by Steiner and Beatrix who open the door for her. She then starts running through the castle, not a very far distance, and goes outside, running through the people to get to Zidane. She bumpes into one person and loses her pendant, and rather than getting it, she goes back to running towards Zidane. She throws her crown away and jumps into his arms. The two of them hug, and when Garnet pulls away, Zidane gives her a quick smile before she throws her head onto his shoulder and punches his chest lightly three times before he places his hands around her and holds her close to him. Everyone who had watched "I Want To Be Your Canary" cheer for them, and Steiner and Beatrix lift up a sword, presumably Save The Queen, and the camera pans away from the scene, and we get the credits with Melodies of Life playing.
...I may or may not have wanted to include almost every detail.

Just remembering the ending brings me to sobbing and tears in my eyes.

Antonidious

Nov 29, 2010
Sean0925 said:
The ending of Final Fantasy X has brought me the closest also Kingdom hearts 1 did too. Funnily enough these were the first two games I got for my PS2 all those years ago
I never actually cried but these also got me the closest.

Gingernerd

Jan 16, 2010
Yes, in quite a few games, but for no game did i cry more than when i completed Persona 3. It's just one of the deepest games out there, in fact there were multiple cryworthy scenes within this game, especially close to the end, but the final moments just got me hard. It's a game I gladly pour 100+ hours into, savouring each and every in game day, and i actually cried more on my second playthrough on FES over 2 years after my first.

updraftnoir19and99

Aug 12, 2010
Final Fantasy X. Like an utter, utter girl.

Although I've seen that lots of other people did too, so now I'm happier about it :)

Yumi_and_Erea

Nov 11, 2009
The ending to Conker: Live And Reloaded was the only instance of videogame perfection that ever made me cry.

It was nothing short of perfect.

Crimson King

May 16, 2009
Well a game has never actually made me cry, but the one that came the closest was Silent Hill 2 when I first played through and got the sad ending.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
FF7

Nope, not Aeris being killed, but Cait Sith's self sacrifice in the temple. Giving a comedy sidekick character such a brave and touching scene was so unexpected and when he falls over and struggles back to his feet little paws... *sob*

(...and then Squaresoft almost completely ruin the scene by instantly reintroducing the character in the most hamfisted way possible. Bastards.)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
When I was a kid, the end to Soul Blazer brought a tear to my eye but I didn't actually cry.
It doesn't usually happen to me in movies either.
I don't think I'm completely soulless though, maybe I just don't watch/play those kinds of movies/games.

The last Harry Potter book choked me up in a couple of places but one of those places made me laugh in the movie: it just looked a lot less silly in my head.

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 3, the ending and realising just how awesome The Boss was...

Metal Gear Solid 4
Big Boss's death.

Red Dead Redemption
John's sacrifice to save his family

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
the las memory of Cristina, when she dies in Ezio's arms. Sadface,

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Otacon's sister's death in MGS2
MANLY TEARS!!! Every time I play it too... I know it's coming, and the bit afterwards between snake and otacon is heart wrenching. Music doesn't help.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
prjio307 said:
All 3 Metal Gear Solid games made me cry...

Other than that, I've come close in a few RPG's and other games but never actually cried.
I'm confused... are you subtly denying the existence of one?

MeSomeGuy

Aug 10, 2009
Yes, the end of Metal Gear Solid 4. That ending is such a roller coaster of happy and sad emotions it had me starting to tear up.
Best Movie I have ever played

Logic Sword

Jun 8, 2010
Phoenix Wright: Justice For All - Case 4's bad ending made me cry, but then the whole of that case is so incredibly tense, it's just fantastic.

Again with Phoenix Wright, I cried at the last two cases of Trials and Tribulations.

Love those games so much...

I cried at the end of Twilight Princess as well.

Yeah, I cry easily at things. Ah well.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
I was thinking about this the other day. It seems more often then not, a video game's ending lacks closure. Sure, the story may be wrapped up, but many times you really don't care. Many times it just sort of ends. I think this mostly happens with games that have a lack luster story to begin with. If you don't care about the story, you won't care about the ending.

As for me, every time I've played through and finished Half-Life 2: Episode 2, I've felt emotion. Tears don't really come, but the acting and directing of the scene is just so well done a chill always runs down my spine. I'm always just simply awe struck.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
never cried, have had a few strong feeling (both liking them and wanting them to die) for characters, though