Has a game ever scared you to the point that you couldn't play?

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
TheSniperFan said:
You said that it's impossible to get scared of a game because it's not real.
Actually, i said it's not possible to be scared by games if you look at them objectively.

HandsomeZer0 said:
Limbo, fuck kids and insects.
I don't advise fucking kids or insects.

Gilbert Rueger

Sep 8, 2011
Long ago when I had just gotten into the horror genre of video games, one of the first I played was resident evil 4. Sure, nowadays when I play it it's not that scary, but at the time it was just one scary thing after the next, to the point where I dreaded going into the ext area for fear of what I might find.

There was one point in particular where Leon is in a large cave system, and he notices a series of large metal cages suspended in mid air over this dark, seemingly endless void of a pit.

As soon as I saw it I thought, "Please let that be an optional thing, that I can go through that area in a second run through..."

Alas, as I continued on, Leon was jumped by what appeared to be a three way hybrid of a plant, insect and human, who had slammed into my character, and knocked me into the cages, whereupon my hope had subsequently dwindled away and was replaced with sheer dread, even more so when the monster had landed in the cages with me -___-.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
So, your opinion of what is scary is now the objective standard for others, too? Cool story.
Sorry to interrupt your ego stroking but could you stop being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative? We get it, you're an internet tough guy, get off your soap box now and stop trying to wave your dick around.

He's right, if you've never been scared by any games or movies ever, yet have indeed played scary games(and this doesn't mean with the lights on, sound down and/or friends watching), then sounds like you have an immersion issue, or an empathy problem. Or simply the emotional range of a wood plank.

Either way, you're spamming up the thread and causing a kerfuffle for no reason. Personally I don't get scared alot either,(and indeed never to the point where I couldn't play, as the thread title asks) doesn't mean I come in here to try and show off though.

--------
@ the thread topic:
OP... minecraft? seriously XD

For me, Doom 3 made me jump a few times, and got pretty tense in some bits. I think it was the first 'scary game' I'd played. Though I must admit I've never played a horror game 'properly' (dark, alone, loud headphones), so I guess it would have been even worse like that.

Kinda ruined most other games after though, since by comparison stuff like ravenholm was tame. Haven't played amnesia properly, since it was at a friends place while a tv was running right next to me (and I was more preoccupied throwing books straight into bookcases), so guess at some point I should get that and see what it's like.

Oh, I just thought of something. The radio music in halflife 2:

The end bit there, definitely can't listen to that thing without getting paranoid and having to check over my shoulder several times...
(in game I don't even remember noticing it though XD)

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Some_weirdGuy said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
So, your opinion of what is scary is now the objective standard for others, too? Cool story.
Sorry to interrupt your ego stroking but could you stop being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative? We get it, you're an internet tough guy, get off your soap box now and stop trying to wave your dick around.

He's right, if you've never been scared by any games or movies ever, yet have indeed played scary games(and this doesn't mean with the lights on, sound down and/or friends watching), then sounds like you have an immersion issue, or an empathy problem. Or simply the emotional range of a wood plank.

Either way, you're spamming up the thread and causing a kerfuffle for no reason. Personally I don't get scared alot either,(and indeed never to the point where I couldn't play, as the thread title asks) doesn't mean I come in here to try and show off though.

--------
@ the thread topic:
OP... minecraft? seriously XD

For me, Doom 3 made me jump a few times, and got pretty tense in some bits. I think it was the first 'scary game' I'd played. Though I must admit I've never played a horror game 'properly' (dark, alone, loud headphones), so I guess it would have been even worse like that.

Kinda ruined most other games after though, since by comparison stuff like ravenholm was tame. Haven't played amnesia properly, since it was at a friends place while a tv was running right next to me (and I was more preoccupied throwing books straight into bookcases), so guess at some point I should get that and see what it's like.

Oh, I just thought of something. The radio music in halflife 2:

The end bit there, definitely can't listen to that thing without getting paranoid and having to check over my shoulder several times...
(in game I don't even remember noticing it though XD)
It says a lot more of you than I if you find anything I said "internet tough guy" worthy. Nice of you to drop in and throw around some painfully failure-ific insults.

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
piinyouri said:
First time I ran through this section of the game I was so panicked that I couldn't operate my controller well enough to do save my ass.

I didn't even make it to that part. Just to the inside of the grocery store, and then I freaked the fuck out.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Alex Cowan said:
The Human Torch said:
Alex Cowan said:
There's a reason we don't go to Ravenholm...

Seriously, headcrab zombies scared the life out of me. I still haven't finished Half Life 2 because of the sewers when you return to City 17 at the end -.-
Those zombies are just too silly. It helps if you just think of them as clowns. Just funny little things that do no real damage. Except for the ones for the combine zombies, who run at you with grenades. Those sucks.

OT: Amnesia: Dark Descent. I think that I managed to play for like 30 minutes, and after replacing my underwear for the 4th time, I had enough of it.
I think I'm fine now. Conquered my fear with intensive crowbar-based therapy XD Really don't want to try Amnesia now, though...
Half Life 2 provides you with a shotgun, I always found that very liberating when it comes to zombies. But Amnesia doesn't give you anything, besides an oil lamp, I think that accounts for like half of the scariness.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Not for a long time.

When I first played RE2 (that's the cop station one?) on my own in the dark basement... yeah. Had to take a break every 15 minutes or so, work up the courage, then go back at it.

Later I remember playing... hmm. Not sure exactly which RE it was. The mansion one. Anyway I was playing this one with my cousin, home alone, 2am at this point, when the first crimson head gets up and chases us. We both screamed like girls and since I was on the controls I just ran to the next door, then paused the game and we turned off the TV. Then we had to pee. lol.

Anyway I've played Dead Space 1, 2, Extraction, Penumbra 1, 2, Amnesia, Cryostasis, BioShock 1, 2, Alan Wake... None of them were able to make me stop playing from fright. Although I definitely think my brain has compartementalized fright when gaming because I know I'm not physically in danger. I still get a fast heart rate when it gets crazy, have an adrenaline rush, but I just push through. I love it.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I played one of the Thief games when I was, maybe, 10? I was really enjoying the first level, but then came the second level which was some kind of mine littered with dead bodies. In order to get through one of the rooms you had to walk around a barrier, there was one way to it where you had to walk over a dead body. Thinking it would probably make a crunching noise and alert some guards or other if I stood on it I chose to walk the other way, but it took longer and eventually I decided to just walk across the body. The body jumped up. I screamed. I turned the computer off at the mains.

I have since lost the disk and wish that I could find out which game it was - I was really enjoying it before it scared the living daylight out of me!

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Alien Vs Predator 2. I manged to get face-huggered three times in a row, which frankly necessitated me taking a break so I could calm down a bit.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
mikeybuthge said:
Silent hill 4, I'd just moved into my apartment... the thought of a living space as an entity... that leads to places in a haunted town [/shudder]
Yeah...that's a horror game I haven't finished yet. Because...I live all alone in an apartment not that unlike that guys. It hits just a bit too close to home. Though I am determined to finish it as some point in time. Maybe graphics have progressed to the point that SH4 won't be as creepy in retrospect?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Nerexor said:
ultrachicken said:
In Shadow of the Colossus, I was following my light beam to the next baddie, when I came over a ridge and saw it was pointing at a lake.
"Oh, no," I thought, "Don't do this, game."
I moved forward and saw that I was, indeed, being directed to the middle of the lake.
So I stopped playing.
See, at the time, I had a crippling fear of giant sea monsters. Something about being in the water, unable to even access air and with every angle being an exposed point, while a giant, barely visible creature closes in on me just freaked me the fuck out. Still does, but I have somewhat better control over it. The fact that I'm a piss-poor swimmer (though I do know how) doesn't help things.
So, on the sneaking suspicion that the game would make me fight a sea-serpent or something of that nature, I abandoned an otherwise amazing game. Still haven't gotten back into it.
I had the same reaction to that area, but that colossus isn't actually a sea monster. I won't say anything else, but as far as I know there are NO underwater colossi or enemies in the game.
There are 2 underwater Colossi (the 7th and 12th), though one of them spends most of the fight above water. The first one is a genuine sea-serpent though.

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
Project Zomboid terrifies me, sometimes I can't bring myself to keep going and just kill my character in the most dramatic way possible.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
The first Dead Space, when the Hunter is chasing you. Fucking hated that thing. There was no other option but to run, bullets and crap didn't stop it. After beating it the first time I thought it was over and was genuinely relieved. Then that jerk on the radio mentioned it at a later date and the garbled roaring started...

I don't know what made that thing so scary for me. Maybe the way it sounded and the way it moved.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Amnesia. I couldn't play after just a few minutes of it. It's too much. I have survived Silent Hill without a problem but amnesia is just too much.

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
American McGees Alice is a creepy game, but it balances that creepyness with a macabre sense of humour and a sense that all that horrible things that have happened to Wonderland can be fixed if Alice defeats the Red Queen.

However, the sequel removes most of the humour and hope; what's left is horrific and depressing on the same level as Limbo. The "sane" world outside the asylum that Alice wanted to return to? Turns out it's a crapsack hellhole filled with the most unpleasent and malevolent characters in fiction. To make matters worse, Wonderland is under siege again, this time by an unknown force; a demonic steam train that leaves behind a trail of black ooze that corrupts and destroys all it touches. In the first game, Alice knew how to save Wonderland (defeat the Queen) and some of the residents were willing to help her (Griffon, the Mock Turtle). In Madness Returns, Alice seems to have no clue how to stop the invaders, wandering around Wonderland in a daze for most of the game. The residents of Wonderland are either apathetic or useless, tossing out cryptic, worthless hints for Alice before swiftly dying under the wheels of the infernal train.

I wouldn't have strictly minded the nonsensical, nihilistic and hopeless storyline if the gameplay had been halfway decent. However, peel away the horrifying visuals and you'll find one of the most unimaginative games ever made. Only four weapons (a light melee weapon, a heavy melee weapon, a machine gun and a grenade launcher, pretty much) and an endless parade of the most generic elements of plaform gaming: switches that need to be stood on or shot, steam vents and jump pads to get elevation, moving platforms, invisible platforms and oh god kill me there is absolutely no innovation in this game at all. I would have preferred they implemented a god-awful gimmick or two into the game rather than this competent but utterly bland game.

Madness Returns is roughly the same length as the original Alice, but it took me five times longer to complete. I kept putting it off; I was horrified by the sheer nihilism of the story, and doubly horrified by the sheer numbness of the gameplay. So I guess it qualifies for this thread.

Phew, sorry for the rant, but I think I hate Madness Returns more that any other game I've played, not because it's bad, but becuase it is a massive, massive disappointment.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i'm gonna go ahead an jump on the amnesia bandwagon here. that game has petrified me. got to the first monster and haven't plucked up the courage to reinstall it. i stopped playing dead space 2, but that was out of boredom. i mean, i loved the game, but i didn't feel like i was doing much different, and i'd just moved all my power nodes around wrong and i just couldn't be assed really.

Nicarus

Feb 15, 2010
This was back when Final Fantasy 7 was the big game on the PS1. I watched my brother play up to the point where you look into the tank with Jenova in it...headless. That image scared the s!@# outta me for weeks. It was so bad that I kept thinking that same headless whatever-the-hell-it-was would climb through my window at night!

And just when I thought I got over that headless bit, the flashback segment happened (where you see Jenova in the mako factory...with her brain exposed). Oh goody! Another week or two of nightmares! >.<

To this day, I find it somewhat difficult to watch these two scenes WITHOUT looking away and muting the music (you know, that really creepy music when Jenova is involved).

Resident Evil: Blast away zombie heads with ease.
Silent Hill: Meh.
FF7 Jenova: OHMYGODBURNITWITHFIRE!!!!!!!

Nim

Apr 5, 2012
The Path, mainly because of the not-so subtle hints that one of the girls, Ruby, gets beaten and raped. The game never shows you this, but fades to black and then she wakes up on a road barely able to walk. All I'm left with is my own speculations of what happened. Creepy, and cruel.