Has a game's size ever influenced your purchase?

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Eh, I don't think it's ever deterred me but it's definitely something to keep wary of. I have a 120gb SSD which is mainly for windows and misc programs with my games being on a 1tb HDD. I do find I have to constantly make room for new purchases though.

I do wish some games would give you the option of what to install though. For example, GTA V. I will never play the MP of that but god knows how much space it wastes just be having it installed. last time i installed GTA v it was getting close to 70gb, which is kind of ridiculous.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I still *bought* Titanfall, but it sure as heck influenced how long I played the game.
SSDs were more expensive back then, and I was moving away from noisy spinning disks, so hard disk space was at a significant premium.

Nowadays, that's less of an issue.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Not really, but back in the old days when 50gb hard drives were the norm it annoyed the hell out of me. Internet speeds and data limits were never an issue though, i can download 50GB's in two hours or so.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
Yes, I have a first generation PS3 with a 40GB hard drive, there are plenty of games I would buy if I had more hard drive space for it.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Not so much 'purchase' (price does that more than space), but it has affected me getting involved in some free-to-play console MMOs. I've taken a look at a couple of 'em, thought 'ehhh, looks ok, might check it out' and then find out it's a 50-60gig download, which on my speed takes something like a solid week of uninterrupted downloading, aaaand... then I'm no longer interested.

The biggest thing large file size stops me from doing is re-installing things on a regular basis - again, due to the time it takes to download something, either the reason for installing it has passed (i.e. friends wanting to re-play and old multiplayer, like GTA Online) or I've lost interest and moved onto a newer game that I haven't finished yet. Which can cause problems when I find a small game I can actually download in the time I'm interested in - I think I've uninstalled and re-installed Risk of Rain something like 20 times because of that, since the damn thing is only 100mb. Fun game at least.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Gears of War 4 was like 130Gb on launch. It's between 90-100Gb now. I'd like to play it, but the need isn't strong enough for me to get over the file size and the fact that it's a Windows Store exclusive.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Ever since games went past like 50GB a pop. My data cap is 100GB a month, because fuck Belgian IT for student flats. It helps that I play indie stuff these days and those games are usually pretty small. Hollow Knight was like 10GB though.

Jeremy Comans

Nov 28, 2014
Until recently my best net speed was about 0.7 megabytes/s (or 5.6 megabits/s, if you count in those), but I didn't have a hard data cap, so a huge game usually just would mean that it might take a couple of days - especially if I would have to pause the dl to do work or watch YT, etc.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I have decent Internet, so file size may influence my decision only if my hard drive (or SD card in case of the 3DS) is full.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
All the time. I love RPGs because they are huge experiences (even short ones tend to clock in around 20 hours). They're great values for my money. I recently picked up the PS4 release of Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 and I just recently beat Birth By Sleep. I'd say that was well worth the money I spent on it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
For the longest time, yes. I was restricted to a 3G wireless service with a 14gb cap. But my area was finally upgraded to have actual Internet connections, so now I have an unlimited data cap. Actual unlimited, not the fake unlimited some companies promote. The speed is pretty good, I can download a 50gb game through Steam in about 8 hours.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
No, but it might influence the order I play games, or whether I should buy it digitally or on disc.

Sep 9, 2007
The last time file size was an issue for me was about 1998, when hard drive sizes were small enough that you could only keep a few games installed at a time. More recently I've either had unmetered downloads from Steam, or a 500Gb monthly bandwidth limit which means if a game has a large download, I leave it running over night.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Not normally (even though I currently have a horrendous net connection, even by Australian standards), but one thing that does annoy me is when publishers release hard copies of games with no disc (or a massive Day one download).

Mass Effect Andromeda did this. I specifically grabbed the boxed version due to my slow net speed, expecting a day one patch at worst (which I generally have no problem with). Open the box and there is no disc at all. I vaguely remember that Deus Ex Mankind Divided had a fairly large download as well, but at least there was some content on the disc.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Used to, back when I had an 80gb HD. Right now I'm sitting on 2TB so size doesn't really matter. I await the full-on dynamic universe sim MMO with housing on inhabitable planets, with voxel destructible everything, populated by space pirates and xenos, fully voiced by Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, and Andy Serkis, that utterly changes my perception of game size. Only then could it possibly matter.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
The games size has never been a deciding factor as to whether or not I would try it, however, I have declined to use custom content/ mods due to size due to them causing some games to slow down/crash/hang.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
It hasn't affected my purchases. It has affected my willingness to get started on it though. Large games reek of commitment and taking the first step with a very large game can be daunting.