Has any game series improved with every sequel?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Civilization is the easy pick.

So is Rollercoaster Tycoon. (RCT4 isn't out on PC yet, so it doesn't count.)

More controversially, I'll choose Tropico. While the first on is beloved, it's too. Damn. Slow. And while the second one was more streamlined and entertaining, pirates just aren't as fun as the Banana Republic. Then Tropico 3 and 4 were very improved versions of the first one, so hopefully Tropico 5 continues the trend.

I've heard that The Shining Force does this too, but western audiences will never find out, will we? :mad:

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
GTA1 through GTA:SA we're all an improvement over one another. 5 straight improved games. To bad 4 was boring and annoying.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Zhukov said:
I also thought each Mass Effect game was an improvement on the one that came before. Which I'm sure is a position that absolutely nobody could ever disagree with. Although each game also leaned on the foundation of its predecessor, so it's an odd case.

The Half Life games also saw steady improvement.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head since I'm not counting "series" of just two games and most games that keep churning out sequels beyond three or four end up screwing the pooch eventually.
Agreed with all those points, 'cept maybe Half-Life - as I'm not sure the Episodes count, for me at least. They felt like frustrating stopgaps after H-L2.

But yeah, Mass Effect is one series which got better [in my books]. Even if ME2 will always be my favourite because of the focus on character narrative over overblown universe ending plot, I think ME3 was the most successful blend of all ME's elements.

I don't count anything without a trilogy, at least, so other examples that I can personally reference are tough to think of. I'd guess - from videos, what various gamers have said, and reviews - Saints Row would be another, as I absolutely loved IV and tend to think I wouldn't react as strongly/positively with any of the other, more GTA Clone era entries.

Most series have ebbs and flows. F'instance, ODST and Halo 3 are probably my favourite Halo's, with Reach being my least favourite, and 4 being a flawed but still hugely enjoyable entry, which improved upon some elements (e.g. narrative and visuals), but dropped the ball on others (mission goals/structure).

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
if we are talking on gameplay alone and nothing else, i would say the Tales series. which each game the combat is further refined, though when it comes to the stories, they tend to be hit or miss, there isn't a truly terrible one in the bunch, but some are clearly better than others.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
I would say the non-portable 3D Mario platformers (yes, I like Sunshine), but I'm not really far enough into 3D World to judge whether it surpasses Galaxies 1&2.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I think the Doom series kept improving up to a point. Ultimate Doom was better than Doom, Doom 2 had better level design and more enemies than Ultimate Doom and it got even better in TnT and Plutonia. Unfortunately they dropped the ball with Doom 3...

Maybe also MGS to some extent? I Think the series peaked with Mgs3 and Peace Walker. And the fifth game looks very promising. Forbidden Siren 2 was also a huge improvement over the first game, unfortunately Blood Curse wasn't as good.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
deathmothon said:
lacktheknack said:
Was Civ3 better than Civ2? I only played a bit of 3 at a friends house but I heard it didn't hold up.
I liked it better. Heck, I've heard people say that Civ III was better than Civ IV.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
lacktheknack said:
deathmothon said:
lacktheknack said:
Was Civ3 better than Civ2? I only played a bit of 3 at a friends house but I heard it didn't hold up.
I liked it better. Heck, I've heard people say that Civ III was better than Civ IV.
I think Civ does work for this but I'd say the improvement from 2-3 wasn't huge.

I'll also echo the votes for Mass Effect and the Megadrive Sonic games.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Definitely for most arcade shoot-em-ups/bullet hells because they usually just add new game modes and weaponry.

Metal Gear Solid springs to mind. At least at 4. I haven't played ground zeros or MGS5 yet so I don't really know about those.

Dragon Age in my opinion has gotten better with each sequel.

DA1 had a lot of problems with the combat.
DA2 had much better combat and I loved how the game told me my exact damage and crit damage for each ability instead of having to calculate it. The only real problems were its repetitive gameplay and environments.
Inquisition's gameplay looks at least on par with Mass Effect 3's which I greatly enjoyed.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Ace Combat, not counting the unnumbered games.

Ace Combat/ Air Combat: Basic, poor graphics, no analogue support, but fun and challenging.

Ace Combat 2: More fleshed out, improved graphics, dual shock support.

Ace Combat 3 (JP): Vast sprawling story line with a high degree of non-linearity (not found in the international release) that set the foundations and world for the series. 1 and 2 were retconned to take place in the same universe.

Ace Combat 4: Move to the PS2, vastly superior graphics, upgraded game engine, a story that fans still enjoy to this day. Possibly the best soundtrack.

Ace Combat 5: Re-introduced wingmen with greater control, had you as squadron leader, brought some non-linearity back, improved engine again.

Ace Combat 0: Dropped wingmen from 3 to 1 but improved control even further, fleshed out back story of AC5, had possibly the best final mission in the series. Introduced Ace Style and had some of the best dogfights of the series.

Ace Combat 6: Moved to X360, Increased the scale of the missions, vastly improved graphics, online multiplayer.

Now, fans will argue for days over the best game in the series, but usually the answer is 4, 5 or 0. However, with each new iteration there is always an overall improvement. Some particular aspects might not be as good as a previous iteration but the aspects that improve always improve more than whatever backslide there has been in other areas.

All fans of the series will tell you to avoid Assault Horizon like the plague. Most will tell you that the PSP games are worth playing, but the control scheme can take some getting used to.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I think any series that has run for any length of time will have split opinions on which game is the best one, probably any series that has two games will have at least some degree of split opinion but after 3 games is when opinion really starts to split imo.

I suppose you could answer yes and no to the question though the game may have improved in some areas in the sequel but in others it may have regressed.

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
ihavetwo said:
You could say the Ratchet and Clank series did that, the first game was decent, the second game was better in almost every way and the third game improved even more.
I would say the PS2 era improved with every game. The PS3 era didn't get any worse, but also didn't get any better.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The only one I can agree with is the Sonic Generation series. Sonic the Hedgehog 1 has a good soundtrack, the game play functions well but no spin dash, the level designs are alright but not really interesting and the difficulty curve swings all over the place after the first stage.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has a far better soundtrack, Sonic now has the spin dash, the level designs are great fun and far more detailed and interesting, and it only gets really difficult at the end, like every game should.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles has a great soundtrack as well but not as iconic, they added in interesting power ups that improve your movement, the levels are fucking massive, filled with little cinematics and more of everything else, including the bosses are more diverse, and even though it's a lot more difficult, there isn't any dick moves that will keep killing you over and over (though the circus and pyramid stage can be a pain when you first play).

Maximum Bert said:
I think any series that has run for any length of time will have split opinions on which game is the best one, probably any series that has two games will have at least some degree of split opinion but after 3 games is when opinion really starts to split imo.

I suppose you could answer yes and no to the question though the game may have improved in some areas in the sequel but in others it may have regressed.
That will always be the case. Some people say Half Life and Pokemon like it's obvious, but they're making me sick. It's easy just talking about the gameplay, but when you go into the design, atmosphere and execution, that's where you will lose most people.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Since everybody has already taken my obvious answers such as TES, Civ, etc and Resistance was marred by Burning Skies hopeless mediocrity;

Two Worlds.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Resident evil up to 5. Loved pretty much every game in the series, 5 screwed it up a bit but then 6 was an improvement in almost every respect except for gun customization. RE4 and 5 had the mind to give you weapon options 6 was like "no heres your pistol. This is your only pistol. No there isn't others that perform differently"

But aside form that I thought RE6 was a great game, and the added mobility given allowed them to slap more enemies on the screen at once. Nothing quite as tense as diving backwards, and landing on your back while trying to shoot zombies from the ground.

Phlogiston

Apr 27, 2014
What the hell are you smoking? RE 3 was most definitely the peak of the series after that they were just third person shooters for the masses instead of absolutely classic survival horror games. 4 and onwards have QTEs, how is that progress?

All the original 1-3 fans I know stopped buying R.E. after they played the 4th because it was more like a shooting gallery than a game of suspense and fear and worrying about whether to use one of your 3 shotgun shells or try to run away instead. Capcom sold out massively.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
GZGoten said:
the Batman Arkham games have improved with every title and I guess same could be said for Street Fighter series
Except Origins wasn't an improvement, it was a downgrade.