Has anyone here been screwed in Buying a Used game from Amazon?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I wanna buy Super Smash Bros. Melee on Amazon, and despite that its expensive I am willing to fork it over.

My issue is the sellers in question for the cheapest possible games. Some of the sellers have less than 100 ratings and sometimes there are sellers that just launched?

Logically its preferable to buy used games from Sellers that have 1000+ to 100,000+ ratings or more because I feel that seller earned the customer's trust or get Amazon Warehouse deals.

So should I go ahead a buy the game from a relivtively unknown and unrated seller or no? Does Amazon themselves curate/quality controls used sellers well?

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
I've bought used games before on Amazon and so far they've turned out fine.

Buying used things on a website is a bit tricky considering based on the quality of the product you are buying. Its your choice honestly. Think if this is a good idea for you or another place you could get it.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
If you don't go for sellers that are named like "Uncle Charlie's house of knifed-up games" and have a 1.5 star rating after 5 reviews, you will probably be fine.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
I've bought used games before on Amazon and so far they've turned out fine.

Buying used things on a website is a bit tricky considering based on the quality of the product you are buying. Its your choice honestly. Think if this is a good idea for you or another place you could get it.
I have bought used games aswell from Amazon, but I usually buy either from Amazon Warehouse, Sellers that have Amazon Fulfillment Deals, or very highly rated and postive products.

This is the first time I am gonna attempt to buy from a reletively unknown group with not that much ratings.

Apr 5, 2008
Don't buy anything that needs a code to activate. Most console games should be fine but avoid anything "Used" that uses a code. Don't overpay either. With amazon at least you have some level of protection.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
KingsGambit said:
Don't buy anything that needs a code to activate. Most console games should be fine but avoid anything "Used" that uses a code. Don't overpay either. With amazon at least you have some level of protection.
In this case I am just gonna get a Gamecube game.

And usually I buy physical books and physical games from Amazon.

Feb 7, 2016
I've bought a few things from individual sellers, even ones that "just launched".

Including a laptop, PS4, and a few games.

There was only ONE time where things felt sketchy, but all I had to do was get Amazon to intervene and it turned out the guy "forgot" to ship it. Amazon pressed and eventually asked if I would want the option of my money back while they would pressure the seller to return the money they got.

But that's just my experience.

Apr 5, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
KingsGambit said:

And usually I buy physical books and physical games from Amazon.
Generally those things are fine. The feedback/ratings system are generally pretty good and if there's a level of protection then it should ease your worries. But you may also consider other venues, such as ebay, second-hand game stores (even big chains frequently sell used games...in fact they make more money on 2nd hand than they do new) and other online retailers. It never hurts to shop around, but your instinct is worth listening to. Just know anything too good to be true, is and don't buy anything that uses codes to activate.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Read a couple pages of user reviews. If anything sounds bot-ish, avoid. Otherwise it should be ok, and Amazon should still guarantee. Returns might will take longer though.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
If you don't go for sellers that are named like "Uncle Charlie's house of knifed-up games" and have a 1.5 star rating after 5 reviews, you will probably be fine.
How dare you speak ill of Uncle Charlie.

Also Amazon is how I got my physical copies of the American McGee Alice games. Well, that's not true ...one of them was through Ebay.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
BreakfastMan said:
Uncle Charlie is an awful ************, and you know it. Terrible at running a business too, yet somehow he keeps at it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Can't say I've ever had a long term issue, Amazon is usually pretty good at fixing up things if they go south.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BreakfastMan said:
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
BreakfastMan said:
Uncle Charlie is an awful ************, and you know it. Terrible at running a business too, yet somehow he keeps at it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't really buy stuff from Amazon, but on Ebay I once got a copy of Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time that I found out a couple years later was counterfeit.

Also I once got a copy of Phantom Hourglass for the DS which was advertised as being in "like new" condition. It was held together with scotch tape! I got my money back for that one.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Samtemdo8 said:
KingsGambit said:
Which one?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Drathnoxis said:
Samtemdo8 said:
KingsGambit said:
Which one?
Look at my OP lol

Its Super Smash Bros. Melee

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Samtemdo8 said:
Drathnoxis said:
Samtemdo8 said:
KingsGambit said:
Which one?
Look at my OP lol

Its Super Smash Bros. Melee
Oh, right. Duh.