Has gaming hit a wall due to piracy?

Syrus Vikeruce

Jul 12, 2010
No chance, gaming's doing fine right now. Just wait until the UK's next 'great economic plan' comes into play though.

THEN we'll all start feelin' it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Proton Packmule said:
A couple of points, from what i've seen, NV seems to be relatively un-pirated.
Lol, according to just what? Go to the bay of pirates, you'll see it's well seeded and leeched - just like any other major game.

Also, I'm chanting this as a mantra now practically but... since the industry is ignoring a huge part of their market by not lowering their prices to the standard of the area they're trying to sell the games in, that market turns to pirating because it's not fun spending a third of your monthly salary to buy a single game.

As Woodsey said above, they're just using the figures to have something to point a finger to when they don't manage to sell their product. Fact is, most of these sales are 'lost' on a market that wouldn't be able to afford them if they didn't pirate them and the remaining part is quite small and even there greatly populated by people who use piracy as a gauging mechanism, see if a game's good, if it is, buy it - since you can't really return a game, no matter how falsely advertised and shit it is, hell, even if it's full to the brim with bugs that make the game unplayable (which by definition makes it a faulty product).

So no, pirates aren't their problem, lack of effort in extending service to a huge part of the market where there is interest but not enough money to shell out 60$ whenever a new game comes out is the problem. To put it to words you might better understand, proportionately (taking standard into account), it would cost over 300$ for Brits or Americans to buy the same 60$ game and I just don't see you guys ever shelling out that kind of cash for a game, so don't be too quick to judge someone else when they're not in the mood either.

Also they don't have much problems anyway. The games industry is doing quite well, considering the global economic crisis, even the smaller guys. Due to popularity of Facebook and similar sites, marketing cheap games has never been easier or more effective, they just have a huge market right at their fingertips and the all powerful word of mouth is at it's strongest right there.