Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Kind of looks like Houseman has been banned. His profile is unavailable.

Is there a list of banned members somewhere?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Maybe? I can still see his posts, but like you said his profile is unavailable, but can't you set profile to private? Either way I didn't notice anything egregious last time I quoted him in I think the Rush Limbaugh thread.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
What was his final offense? I didn't notice any rule breaking in the last thread I saw him in
It was my understanding that it was a "Death by a thousand paper cuts" kind of thing. I'm not sure it was one specific post that did him in

Hell, the only reason I know it was a ban and nothing specific was a friend of a friend kind of thing (One of those Escapist Discords that popped up when everything was on fire had him in it and he was yelling about being banned; I'm not in that Discord and a Discord Friend is and reported it to us for the lulz so that's all I know of it).

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
It was my understanding that it was a "Death by a thousand paper cuts" kind of thing. I'm not sure it was one specific post that did him in

Hell, the only reason I know it was a ban and nothing specific was a friend of a friend kind of thing (One of those Escapist Discords that popped up when everything was on fire had him in it and he was yelling about being banned; I'm not in that Discord and a Discord Friend is and reported it to us for the lulz so that's all I know of it).
Huh. Well I can't say I'm surprised, he wasn't really going out of his way to not be banned. And how many escapist discords are there? I didn't even know that had one!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Huh. Well I can't say I'm surprised, he wasn't really going out of his way to not be banned. And how many escapist discords are there? I didn't even know that had one!
I know of at least three "unofficial" ones and I believe The Escapist has an official one now.

So at least four :D

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I know of at least three "unofficial" ones and I believe The Escapist has an official one now.

So at least four :D
Jeez. I know this is off topic, but how many ways to people need to communicate with each other?! I remember talking to my sister about this last year during the pandemic early days and she has a phone, texts, what's app, signal, twitter, instagram, facebook, discord, email, zoom, and a job specific text app. And its just like...that's too many lines of communication to keep open.

Discord if you're listening at least 4 channels is too many for a small gaming news/forum site like this.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Jeez. I know this is off topic, but how many ways to people need to communicate with each other?! I remember talking to my sister about this last year during the pandemic early days and she has a phone, texts, what's app, signal, twitter, instagram, facebook, discord, email, zoom, and a job specific text app. And its just like...that's too many lines of communication to keep open.

Discord if you're listening at least 4 channels is too many for a small gaming news/forum site like this.
Well the "unofficial" ones are just ones that were created by a random user and they pick and choose who gets in and who doesn't (I think the one Houseman is in is that The Escape Pod one). So I don't know how much you can really count them as they're just random users who got together because they wanted to still talk to each other when The Escapist looked like it was going to finally sink for good (so before it was bought out back in The Dark Times when I was a Mod :D)

There is only one Official one that is actually recognized as The Escapist Discord.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

I wish I could have seen that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'm semi interested in joining, but I tried Discord once and could NOT delete it from my old laptop. Something always remained. I do not trust programs like that.
There is a web browser version of Discord. No download required.

Most Discords require an invite to get into and I have no idea who you would talk to in order to get into The Official Escapist Discord (I imagine a Mod or Nick would be able to hook you up assuming they're accepting members) or any of the "unofficial" Discords. Presumably the Official Escapist Discord would let any Escapist member in but the unofficial ones you'd have to figure out who ran them and then reach out to that specific user.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Knowing Houseman, he's probably paranoid the mods are stalking him to ban him for things he says off the site.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I am likely next. But I act more conservative here than I do on Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit. And most of the conservativeness is on international relations.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Honestly I saw it coming from the way he makes far-right comments and the usual spiel of complains about how woke culture is destroying his interests.

Knowing Houseman, he's probably paranoid the mods are stalking him to ban him for things he says off the site.
Unless he was advocating for violence against others outside of the Escapist, they generally don't care how they interact with others outside of the site

I am likely next. But I act more conservative here than I do on Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit. And most of the conservativeness is on international relations.
Rule of the thumb is don't be hateful and uncivil, it's okay to engage in debate as a conservative, but being blatantly hateful in an attempt to chase out others just so only your narrative exists will get you thrown out all but the most politically charged forums. I got that advice from a mod after I went to the deep end over having to appeal to the politics of the board to the detriment of the quality of my content.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Honestly I saw it coming from the way he makes far-right comments and the usual spiel of complains about how woke culture is destroying his interests.

Unless he was advocating for violence against others outside of the Escapist, they generally don't care how they interact with others outside of the site
I know that, and you know that, but does Houseman know that?

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I know that, and you know that, but does Houseman know that?
Like it's common policy on most forums these days, but because of if a site doesn't advertise itself as pro free speech, the only seemingly acceptable tone is to be the most progressive person you can think of to the point it starts influencing your interests.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Rule of the thumb is don't be hateful and uncivil, it's okay to engage in debate as a conservative, but being blatantly hateful in an attempt to chase out others just so only your narrative exists will get you thrown out all but the most politically charged forums. I got that advice from a mod after I went to the deep end over having to appeal to the politics of the board to the detriment of the quality of my content.
I mean I am pretty hateful towards democrats(Bloomberg, Steyer, and Tanden, and more), Republicans( Trump somewhat, Hawley, Cruz, and etc.).

But I don't want TheEscaplist stock to be shorted, and for this forum to be the next R/ChapoTraphouse.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
A major problem with the new forums is there is practically no indication that someone is banned. The old forums went a little overboard with the avatar swap and greying out their posts, but at least swapping out their title with a red 'BANNED' would be informative enough so you don't need a thread like this whenever someone is banned. Also, removing the profile means you can no longer search their past posts, as far as I'm aware, which is also annoying at times.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst
Status
Not open for further replies.