Has Pixar lost its touch?

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
While I still haven't seen Brave, I was disappointed by its bad reviews. Wow, two movies below the quality we expect from Pixar in a row. While the average ratio of quality productions is still amazing I'm starting to get afraid that they may be catering to much to the lowest denominator and in a few years we may only get run of the mill commercial movies from them and not the pieces of art we were used since Toy Story.

What's your opinion? Did you like Brave? Have they lost their touch? Will the next movie be better?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
3/4 of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are positive.

I don't see how this qualifies as "bad reviews." Okay, so it's not 90% or higher, but 74%As of this post is still pretty good. 1% away from being "Certified Fresh," if that means anything to you.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Nah, their just in a small bad rut. Still, Brave is not as Bad as Cars 2; just as bad as Cars (Seriously, they both have 74% of Rotten Tomatoes.), and Cars isn't that terrible.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
They've gone for a bit of a gamble with this one, and it's kinda paid off, kinda back fired.

All they wanted to do was move out of their comfort zone, to evolve as a creative entity. They probably had a dozen scripts that would have scored better on RT, but this allows them to learn and grow.

That's what me and my good friend decided anyway :)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Brave wasnt bad

and theye already made thier cars...putting out somthing that isnt 100% now and again is not cause for "OMG WHAT HAPPNED!?"

its just the curse of being that good
pilouuuu said:
While I still haven't seen Brave, ?
bad reveiws? exagerating much?

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
I havent really liked them for awhile.
I didnt like up really and now theyre just dealing out sequels.
I didnt cry at toy story 3 like others apparently because everything in that movie was proposed in the first two.
Last greats were ratatouille and incredibles.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Brave was not bad. Brave was... underwhelming. I was expecting a bit more, I guess I'm saying. But I would never call Brave "bad".

I don't think that Pixar has lost it's touch, or anything to that effect. Two "not amazing, but still okay" movies in a row does not mean an entire studio has suddenly lost it's talent. Lest we forget, the two movies they put out BEFORE Cars 2 and Brave were Up and Toy Story 3, arguably two of their best movies to date.

Pixar's doing fine.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Most of the negative reviews I saw were along the lines of 'made by anyone else, I would consider this a good/pretty good movie, but under the pixar title I have to say I was wholly disappointed'
Or in other words 'I refuse to consider acceptable any pixar movie that doesn't pluck every one of my heartstrings like a magical bard of legend'

I liked it, and I don't think pixar is struggling or lost their touch.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Well, I think our expectations with Pixar are usually that every movie surpasses the previous one and is a masterpiece. While I don't think this means the studio lost its magic I am afraid that it may actually happen due to all the sequels and recent underwhelming movies.

The worst thing that could happen to Pixar is they becoming another animation studio which makes movies for kids which can't follow a plot with some pop culture references as a way of catering to adult audiences. i.e.: Dreamworks. I don't hate them btw, How to Train your Dragon showed they can do good movies, but Pixar always had the upper hand and I want them to keep it that way.

Movies like Up and Wall-E are even better than most non-animated movies! That's the Pixar I think we all love.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
I always kept hearing 'an original story' on commercials when all I saw from it was the whole princess wanted to break societal norms like every Disney princess

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Expectations are set high for Pixar. Of their 13 movies, 10 are considered great. Only 1 is considered bad. The remaining 2 are good. That's a 92 percent success rate. No other company can boast numbers like that.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I think Brave as a good cute Disney movie, but an average if a tad mediocre Pixar movie.

Does that make sense?

J. Mazarin

Jun 25, 2012
I liked the movie.

Sure, it wasn't the fucking Lion King or anything, but it was still an entertaining work in its own right.

Then again, we do live in a day and age where instead of media being graded on a 1-10 scale, it's graded on a 7-10 scale.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
hulksmashley said:
Part of the problem is the Pixar is just too good. From anyone else this would be considered exceptional. And it was really good. But I think the problem was (By the way, this is a spoiler. A real one, for a major plot point in the movie. DO NOT click this unless you don't mind having the plot spoiled.)
That the big thing to change her fate was turning her mother into a bear. I was expecting something a little more meaningful, with bigger consequences. Like, destroy the kingdom consequences. Instead it was very similar to Brother Bear.

Up until that point it was excellent. It's just the actual plot device used to change her fate was silly rather than meaningful.
I can agree with this.

I really liked it, and I'll call it a great film, but

had the bear-changing thing have been more world-threatening, it could have attained masterpiece status.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Haven't seen it, so maybe it's just not that good - wouldn't know, but I do wonder: how many of those bad reviews come from, ummm... sources of a conservative inclination?

rayen020

May 20, 2009
I saw brave and the only real problem it has is it's pacing is a a little off. it has a lot of build up to a major plot point but the build-up makes the point a little dull (pardon the pun). I'm not sure how they would've fixed this, but pixar isn't slipping. to echo others they're victims of their own success.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
I plan to go see it next week. I have heard nothing but good things except that its abit predictable.