Has Steam ever screwed you over?

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Well other than servers sometimes being down (pretty rare for me, like around once every 3 months) nope. I like Steam because there are often chances to buy good games at hilariously low prices. For example right now:

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - 2 dollars/euros
Thief: Deadly Shadows - 3 dollars/euros
And many more. This price cut has been going on for quite a few days and what's awesome is the fact that each day there are new awesome games at low prices.

I already bought Red Faction: Guerilla, Operation Flashpoint (which IMO is quite disappointing...), and L4D2. All for less than 9 euro.

Also there are weekend sales & stuff... When it comes to prices Steam is pretty awesome,

Although (while it never happened to me) it is probably pretty &%&*^@$*&^# when you buy a game at full price, and than a week later you find out that it's at "-80%" sale.

PS. Ok I just remembered one situation when steam kinda screwed me over. It was constantly re-downloading COD:MW2 (redownload/delete/redownload/delete and so on) like 4 weeks after I started playing it and I couldn't do anything about it. But it's not so much of a pain in the ass since MW2 is a rotten pile of crap.
And it kinda sucks that you have to go through a lot of trouble to install steam games out of the disc. Usually when you insert the disc steam STILL downloads the entire game even though all the necessary data are ON THE DISC. But it can be overwritten.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
Steam's been very good to my computers. Despite some little design choices that bug me, I've had no problems.

And with the store, I've never bought anything that wasn't on sale, except Portal. That I got in a store for $10. But Audiosurf, Guild Wars Trilogy, Braid, KotOR (which I really need to play), Lost Planet, Half-Life 2, Garry's Mod? All on sale, most $5 or less.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Not really. The only Steam related event that irks me is me buying Saints Row 2 for $7.50. "A great game for 8 bucks?" I thought, "There's no way this could suck." Little did I know that the Saints Row 2 pc port is a bag of dicks unsatisfactory. But that's more my fault than Steam's

Calatar

May 13, 2009
reg42 said:
Well yeah. I got Dawn of War 2 like a week ago and I've played it once, because Steam won't let me fucking log in. To log in I have to uninstall Steam and reinstall it. Then repeat whenever I want to play it again.
Well, if you're okay with playing the campaign offline, you can temporarily disable your internet connection, which should let you start Steam in "offline mode," which should allow you to boot DoW2 whenever you want.

Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
NLS said:
Many many years ago. I registered half life 1 on Steam and forgot the username and password and email and everything.
That happened me, but I don't blame steam on that. It's my fault for losing everything, if I could only remember one detail I could probably get it back.

Really though, no, I've never been screwed by steam. I have days that I buy games on steam. Those are wednesday and weekends, because those are when the special deals go on.

Eg. "Hmm.. I could buy dawn of war 2... or I can wait til tomorrow and see if it goes on sale".

Sep 14, 2009
FactualSquirrel said:
Urrm, yeah, that's the special sale, which quite clearly states how long there is left before the stuff stops being on sale, at least it does over here...

But no, it has never screwed me over, beyond putting stuff on sale the day after I buy it.
yeah exactly. it states when the sale ends as its special sales till the 4th

anyways yeahh i've been screwed once when i bought tropico 3 before a deal..coulda saved 10 bucks, ah well.

i wish they would let you know ahead of time when they might have deals coming out..it'd be much more helpful to me.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
The only problems i've had with Steam are that they've made my desktop shorcut icons to some games to go walkabout and that occasionally I get some graphic problems with new games, but resolved mostly.

Pretty good service, in my opnion.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
The only problem I have been having with steam recently was earlier today, when it crashed on startup. I am currently redownloading the 16 games I have on it.

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
The fact that European L4D2 servers have been crapping themselves since the DLC was released.

The new CS:S update.

AND finally the multiple times I've had to re-install steam and my games because something somewhere stopped working when it shouldn't.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
SimuLord said:
Bought the expansion for Tropico 3 at $19.99. Went on sale 60% off two days later. Damn it all.
To be fair, that's just hilariously (and by hilarious I mean infuriating) bad timing. And I should know as I've done the same on numerous occasions. Most recently when buying Hearts of Iron 3 2 days before a huge price dip. But that's how it goes. The game was obviously worth the money I paid or I wouldn't have bought it.

But as for the current sales: there is a huge timer on the front page. Learn it. Love it.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Calatar said:
reg42 said:
Well yeah. I got Dawn of War 2 like a week ago and I've played it once, because Steam won't let me fucking log in. To log in I have to uninstall Steam and reinstall it. Then repeat whenever I want to play it again.
Well, if you're okay with playing the campaign offline, you can temporarily disable your internet connection, which should let you start Steam in "offline mode," which should allow you to boot DoW2 whenever you want.

Not ideal, but better than nothing.
Not exactly perfect but better than I was getting before.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Over half of the things I've paid for don't work, so yeah, I'd say I've been screwed over. I can't return the games that don't work, which is what keeps me from dishing out cash.

Valve did return my money when I had bought Darkest of Days though. In case noone knows, when it was released on Steam in Europe they took it back without notifying their customers after 3 days. First the wait was set to 3 months before we were allowed to finish playing what we paid for, then a year.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
well, other than the odd server problem, it has not, but those server problems can be VERY annoying. It's my game and I should be able to play it when I want, dammit.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
You mean like when I buy Civilization IV for $20, and it goes on sale the next day for $5?

Or when I buy two Left 4 Deads, one for my friend and I, for $40, and a few days after they go on sale for $6.80 each?

Yeah, Steam screws me.

BoxCutter

Jul 3, 2009
Not yet, but i've heard some pretty bad stories about Steam.

Knock on wood I suppose.

esukki

Jun 10, 2010
Sure. cant login to Relic online to play CoH online, steam customer service is blabbing about thq support... And i cant find any servers in AA3.